Tim Hunter and Dave Brown yappin'!

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Ahhh, back when men were men. ;)

It's a shame the current NHL seems to be turning away from this kind of stuff, as it really is the core of rivalries and bitterness between players/teams. Sure NHLers have horrible trash talk and every 2nd word is an "F" bomb, but that's what makes the NHL unique. A bunch of guys going out there and givin' it their all, and whatever happens, happens.

Recently, I've been seeing unsportsmanlike penalties handed out for guys showing emotion, and that's exactly what we need to see; bitter rivalries and guys really givin' it to each other.

espo*

Ahhh, back when men were men. ;)

It's a shame the current NHL seems to be turning away from this kind of stuff, as it really is the core of rivalries and bitterness between players/teams. Sure NHLers have horrible trash talk and every 2nd word is an "F" bomb, but that's what makes the NHL unique. A bunch of guys going out there and givin' it their all, and whatever happens, happens.

Recently, I've been seeing unsportsmanlike penalties handed out for guys showing emotion, and that's exactly what we need to see; bitter rivalries and guys really givin' it to each other.

Bang on.

110% agree.

it's getting too sanitized now.

Heavy Fuel

"Hey, Timmy, you got those gloves cemented on?"

....Dave Brown, a tough guy who loved his job...

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
That was a great clip. Of all the Oiler enforcers I consider Dave Brown to be the toughest of them all.

Heavy Fuel

I don't know if Brown was the best in a straight up fight, considering such heavyweights as Semenko & Laraque were known to hold the belt during their years, but he was flat out the guy who fit the enforcer role the best.

Where a lot of tough guys were just honest players trying to make a living, it seemed Dave Brown enjoyed hurting people. That is what puts him high up on the "enforcer" list for me, he was scary enough to go off on anyone at anytime.

In the clip posted above, Tim Hunter was mocking Craig Simpson, who was never that great a fighter, but then Dave Brown gets between them and basically tells Hunter that he should throw down with him if wants a fight that bad. The evil grin on Brown's face when he taunts Hunter is priceless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad