Tim Hague died as a result of a knockout

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I stated this in the Avs forum, but why was this guy allowed to fight?? I don't know what the criteria is in Alberta for a boxing license, but this guy had like 10 combined knockout losses between boxing /MMA. If that's not a red flag for a boxing commission to deny someone a license, I don't know what is.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I stated this in the Avs forum, but why was this guy allowed to fight?? I don't know what the criteria is in Alberta for a boxing license, but this guy had like 10 combined knockout losses between boxing /MMA. If that's not a red flag for a boxing commission to deny someone a license, I don't know what is.

Arlovski has 10 losses via KO/TKO and he will get a license anywhere in the world. Commissions need to protect these local talents more in regional shows. Tim Hague was a 1-3 pro boxer I believe heading into the fight and Adam Braidwood was a 7-1 professional. Right there, that match-up never should have happened.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
This is why, like in MMA, real fights end the first time a person gets essentially knocked out. Not being able to follow an opponent to the mat allows for them to suffer essentially 3 or 4 knockouts in the same fight. Not to mention the repeated dull impact of those huge gloves being just enough to induce the whiplash effect but not always quite enough to knock someone unconscious. Just having watched the replay of the fight, that official should immediately have his license revoked. The damage was just excessive. From the corner, the officials, the ringside doctor.... it was a tragic comedy of errors.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Arlovski has 10 losses via KO/TKO and he will get a license anywhere in the world. Commissions need to protect these local talents more in regional shows. Tim Hague was a 1-3 pro boxer I believe heading into the fight and Adam Braidwood was a 7-1 professional. Right there, that match-up never should have happened.

If you watch the fight, Hague literally has no clue how to even defend himself in the ring. When he gets in trouble he just ducks down for no particular reason, and he opens himself to big shots consistently.

He shouldn't have been in a professional boxing ring, period. He looked like a still learning sparring partner.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
This is why, like in MMA, real fights end the first time a person gets essentially knocked out. Not being able to follow an opponent to the mat allows for them to suffer essentially 3 or 4 knockouts in the same fight. Not to mention the repeated dull impact of those huge gloves being just enough to induce the whiplash effect but not always quite enough to knock someone unconscious. Just having watched the replay of the fight, that official should immediately have his license revoked. The damage was just excessive. From the corner, the officials, the ringside doctor.... it was a tragic comedy of errors.
He got knocked down like four times in the first round. None of knockdowns were that bad, but the ref can't let somebody just keep getting beat like that.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston

Almost like allowing a 0-0 boxer fight the greatest boxer ever, right?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Very sad news.

Sounds like a lot of people have some explaining to do here, starting with the Edmonton sports commission.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
He got knocked down like four times in the first round. None of knockdowns were that bad, but the ref can't let somebody just keep getting beat like that.

If you'll look at the first shot that really rocked him at like 1:28 of the video, it was straight to the back of his head. It wasn't intentional, it was just that Hague was attempting to defend himself in such a strange way. He was motioning to the back of his head later in the fight and was reaching back there a lot. It looked like a red flag to me, and I know nothing at all about head injuries other than what I have gathered passively through watching sports, but it was VERY clear that something wasn't right. He was plodding out there like he was out on his feet. The point where he literally shot for a double? Come on. End the fight. Even the crowd was murmuring in a "are we about to see someone get seriously hurt?" type way.

Boxing is so damn barbaric. And people think it's MMA. In MMA, you put a guy on his ass once it's incredibly likely the fight is over. In boxing, without diligent and competent referees and corners, you have to literally lose consciousness or quit. Those aren't acceptable options.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This was a pretty sad thing to hear when it came out. Tim was such a nice guy that supported the local scene and just wanted to put a show on.

Another sad part is how screwed up our commission is right now. The City wants it to be run at a provincial level. Province doesn't want anything to do with it. I've watched quite a few mis-matches in the past 10 years in Edmonton. In hindsight I wouldn't have thought Hague would've been the one to die, but at the same time I'm surprised only person has died as a direct result of a fight in Edmonton.

To make things even worse. Braidwood's next fight is against a 40 year old who's had 3 boxing KO's in a row. Who knows if there is a MMA one in there, because Hague literally had one 60ish days before he died but you don't really see that on any stats line sites out there. The upcoming fight isn't in Alberta, but you'd think whoever is putting this on in British Columbia would maybe be thinking a little bit more on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->