Tim Donaghy claims 2006 NBA Finals were rigged

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Disgraced Former Ref Tim Donaghy Says Mavericks Were 'Screwed' out of 2006 Title

This has been almost 12 years now (wow does time fly!) but I always thought this series was strange when it came to the officiating. There seemed to be a lot of calls against the Mavs late in games 3 and 5, and maybe 6? that were questionable. Dwyane Wade went to the line it seemed like every time he had the ball. Article also mentions about how Ed Rush (NBA supervisor of referees) and Mark Cuban couldn't stand one another.

Dallas at least got their revenge 5 years later against a much better Miami squad but 2006 still just didn't seem right.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
here we go again..... you realize beating the Shaq/Kobe Lakers was a pipe dream for ANY team? let alone one in their own conference
Get real.

Anyone with an ounce of objectivity knows they got screwed in the 4th quarter of game 6. They had the Lakers beat and the refs and league wanted a game 7.

Reactions: All Might

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It was blatant Voight. Even Laker diehards agree something was very wrong in game 6

It was not a pipedream for Kings. They would have done it in 6 if not for game being rigged

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
It was blatant Voight. Even Laker diehards agree something was very wrong in game 6

It was not a pipedream for Kings. They would have done it in 6 if not for game being rigged

Honestly, I've yet to meet a single Laker fan that would openly admit that the Game 6 officiating was fishy. Oftentimes, they would use the Game 5 officiating and claim that the refs were on the Kings' side or the Kings choking in Game 7 to justify Game 6. But who can blame them, really? They were en route to a threepeat. Now if the Lakers were somehow upset by the Nets in the Finals, then maybe Laker fans would've been more open to acknowledging the suspect reffing in Game 6.

This is the equivalent to Barça fans refusing to agree that Chelsea wete jobbed in the 2009 Champions League.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Sacramento was screwed in game six and for all intensive purposes choked in game 7.

What makes it hurt even worse is that Webber blew out his knee the year after or in '04. 2002 was their best shot and they just couldn't get it done.

However, Sacramento didn't lose to any team either. They lost to a dynasty.

Reactions: Voight

darko

Feb 16, 2009
here we go again..... you realize beating the Shaq/Kobe Lakers was a pipe dream for ANY team? let alone one in their own conference

They had them in trouble. Sac would've won .... but NBA.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
there were fouls called on the kings in game 6 that shouldn't have been called fouls. it's pretty obvious

and looking at the FT totals in game 6, you see the lakers shot 15 more FT's than the kings (40-25)

but then you look at the series box score and see that the kings shot almost 20 more FT's than the lakers did in the series (204 for sac and 185 for LA). and then you see that the kings missed 14 FT's in game 7 (16-30) while the lakers were 27-33

was the officiating one sided in game 6? you can clearly say the lakers benefited from some bad calls. did the kings choke? absolutely. horry doesn't make that GW it's 3-1 sac going back to sacramento. and no team that misses 14 FT's in a playoff game deserves to win anyways

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Get real.

Anyone with an ounce of objectivity knows they got screwed in the 4th quarter of game 6. They had the Lakers beat and the refs and league wanted a game 7.

Terry's post is basically what IO was trying to say. I'm not denying the refs were garbage that game but Sac also choked even tho everybody likes to forget that detail.

Sacramento was screwed in game six and for all intensive purposes choked in game 7.

What makes it hurt even worse is that Webber blew out his knee the year after or in '04. 2002 was their best shot and they just couldn't get it done.

However, Sacramento didn't lose to any team either. They lost to a dynasty.

TBH I think the Nets could have beat them in 2002.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Forget imagining Horry not making that GW shot. How about imagining if the refs reviewed Samaki Walker's buzzer beater before half time that should not have counted?

well if there was replay at the time it rightfully wouldn't have counted

but what's the kings excuse for blowing a 14 pt halftime lead?

Reactions: Voight

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
well if there was replay at the time it rightfully wouldn't have counted

but what's the kings excuse for blowing a 14 pt halftime lead?

Absolutely no excuse. But chokejobs are done by players. You hate to have even small things decided by the refs and that small thing (Walker's 3) turned out to be big.

When did they start reviewing plays?

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Terry's post is basically what IO was trying to say. I'm not denying the refs were garbage that game but Sac also choked even tho everybody likes to forget that detail.
Which game are you referring to them choking? The only one could be game 4. Game 7 went to ot and the Lakers won, but that game never happens without the lopsided officiated 4th quarter game 6. There is no reason a team down by multiple digits should have had that many more free throws than the team that's leading. The league knew the finals was going to be a sweep no matter which West team made it, so they wanted to get their money's worth in the wcf.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Which game are you referring to them choking? The only one could be game 4. Game 7 went to ot and the Lakers won, but that game never happens without the lopsided officiated 4th quarter game 6. There is no reason a team down by multiple digits should have had that many more free throws than the team that's leading. The league knew the finals was going to be a sweep no matter which West team made it, so they wanted to get their money's worth in the wcf.

I'm not sure the Kings sweep the Nets.

I'm not trying to say the refs didn't officiate in the Lakers favour. but Sac fans act like that's the sole reason they lost the series. I was going off the same points Terry made.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm not sure the Kings sweep the Nets.

I'm not trying to say the refs didn't officiate in the Lakers favour. but Sac fans act like that's the sole reason they lost the series. I was going off the same points Terry made.
It's not, because game 7 was fair and square, but it shouldn't have ever gotten there, and that's the point.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Those Kings teams were pretty good back then. Imagine if they had gotten past the Lakers one of those years. Some ref decisions are ? for sure but ultimately a game's decision rests solely on a team IMO.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Those Kings teams were pretty good back then. Imagine if they had gotten past the Lakers one of those years. Some ref decisions are ? for sure but ultimately a game's decision rests solely on a team IMO.

I suppose you could always argue that teams would've won had they hit all their shots, but I hope you're not suggesting that all things being equal, a corrupt official couldn't impact the outcome of a game

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I suppose you could always argue that teams would've won had they hit all their shots, but I hope you're not suggesting that all things being equal, a corrupt official couldn't impact the outcome of a game
All anyone would have to do is watch the highlights from that 4th quarter. Kings had 0 control over the refs screwing them over. add the fact basketball is the sport that refs can impact a game more than any.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't care what a dirtbag like Donaghy says about anything. I do agree that the 2006 final was basically rigged by the refs though, based on what I saw rather than on what anyone says. The two teams were held to different standards and that isn't right.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That Kings/Lakers Series was a big reason why I stopped watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->