Tim Brent question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
So Anaheim didnt sign Tim Brent who they drafted a few years ago in the 2nd round. So now they get him in the 3rd.

My question is... What are the incentives to draft the same player twice when you can't agree upon contract terms in the first place? Do they get to wait until '06 before they have to sign him again? Does this happen often?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
It's very possible that the Ducks and Brent we're very close on a contract, but just couldn't get the minor details worked out in time. So he goes back in the draft, they re-draft him lower then he was originally selected as leverage on the contract situation.

I'm not sure how his possession works though. I'm imagining that the Ducks will have an entire year to work out a contract with him now. And if they are unsuccessful by the time next year's free agents file, then he'll become a UFA. Thats just a guess though.

But If they re-drafted him, I'd count on them working out a contract.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
mazmin said:
So Anaheim didnt sign Tim Brent who they drafted a few years ago in the 2nd round. So now they get him in the 3rd.

My question is... What are the incentives to draft the same player twice when you can't agree upon contract terms in the first place?

Do they get to wait until '06 before they have to sign him again? Does this happen often?

Doesn't happen often, but it has happened before. I know Ottawa re-drafted Mathieu Chouiunard, the goaltender in '00, I believe, after first taking him in '98.

Here's what happens, I'm guessing. The two sides stalemate on a deal, with the player and his agent feeling that he should received better term$. The team, in this case Anaheim, says "re-enter the draft, to gauge your market value. If you are chosen higher than we think you will (should) be, God Bless you, our loss, you were right about your worth, and enjoy the riches of your decision. But if you are not chosen at or around where you believe to be your true market value, we still want you, and will (re)choose you at what we gauge to be the appropriate draft spot."

That way player/agent can test their point, team takes a risk of losing player, but avoids overpaying. Either way, at that point, there will be little-to-no questions about the player's current worth.

Interesting to note that Chouinard was chosen in a later round (2nd) than the first time around (1st) and so too was the case yesterday with Brent, I believe.

They again have two years to sign him, no?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Trottier said:
Interesting to note that Chouinard was chosen in a later round (2nd) than the first time around (1st) and so too was the case yesterday with Brent, I believe.

They again have two years to sign him, no?

The only thing being that Brent is 10x the prospect Chouinard is :D

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
mazmin said:

My question is... What are the incentives to draft the same player twice when you can't agree upon contract terms in the first place? Do they get to wait until '06 before they have to sign him again? Does this happen often?

Brent now has virtually no options. He will most likly sign for what the last offer was, or possibly less. He previously had a trump card, go back into the draft, but now that is gone.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Al Coates is GM now...will offer similar deal to Brent that Bryan Murray did...Brent knows he can't wait 2 years, signs the deal...Tim Brent starts a pro career with the Cincy Mighty Ducks in the AHL next year. :banana:

I'm confident a deal will get done. They were no bad feelings after Brent went into the draft. Brent wanted to be a part of the Ducks organization and now he is again. Everybody wins.

1chlfan

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Tim Brent still does have a card to play. And that is to Play Junior for another season and become a UFA as of june 1st 2005. When you re-enter the team that picks you only has your rights for one season and he then will be 21 and becomes a UFA...much like Umberger this year. So, he has Option A....Sign and start his Pro Career with Cincy...or B return to junior and become a UFA

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He's a third rounder now, and he will be offered third-round money, I would imagine. Brent gambled, and he lost. He'll make less than the offers before would have given him.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Brent should fire his agent. They couldn't get small details done, and now, he might get less money.

This whole thing looks like a huge plan by Coates. First they trade Gerber, and while they get Malec, they get what looks like nothing much, a third rounder, but seeing as it's one pick before Anaheim's third, it makes things much more intriguing. Then, once they have two picks come up, they were obviously going to re-take Brent, who was probably higher on their list than Klubertanz, but take Brent second, Klubertanz first.

The beauty of taking Klubertanz first is that now they have set the market for Brent. This year, it was Paille's contract that set the market for Brent, and Anaheim wouldn't give him that type of cash. Now, once Klubertanz signs, Brent knows that the deal Klubertanz signed is the deal he'll get anywhere else, as Klubertanz was picked one spot before him. So if Anaheim offers him more money, he'll sign it right away, as he wouldn't get that value anywhere else. Beauty move by Coates.

Brent is confused by the move, but I think he likes the organization, and he might sign a pro-contract and go play for Cincy. Coates will probably offer around the same deal this time, maybe a bit less, and Brent likely will accept.

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Now, once Klubertanz signs, Brent knows that the deal Klubertanz signed is the deal he'll get anywhere else, as Klubertanz was picked one spot before him. So if Anaheim offers him more money, he'll sign it right away, as he wouldn't get that value anywhere else. Beauty move by Coates.

Problem is Klubertanz isn't going to sign for quite a while, since he is going to college (Wisconsin).

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Brent is confused by the move, but I think he likes the organization, and he might sign a pro-contract and go play for Cincy. Coates will probably offer around the same deal this time, maybe a bit less, and Brent likely will accept.

a Duck official was quoted saying Brent was taken in a lower round and would be offered a lower amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->