Tiebreaker for first place

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If Russia, Sweden and Slovakia all finish 4-1, what would be the tiebreaker? Total goal differential, or the the goal differential in the games only played between the three teams.

Thanks

Silvercup Returns

King Karlsson
Jul 28, 2005
Ottawa
daver said:
If Russia, Sweden and Slovakia all finish 4-1, what would be the tiebreaker? Total goal differential, or the the goal differential in the games only played between the three teams.

Thanks

I think total? :dunno:

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
daver said:

Thanks

These were Nagano rules, but I think they still apply.
This would mean the results from the games the teams
played between themselves are the decisive ones.

Eg.
SVK - RUS 5-3
RUS - SWE 5-0
SWE - SVK X-X

The goal difference in these games would decide
the order.

Points and Placing of Teams

Men's Preliminary Round and Final Round: Placing is done by adding up all the points. Points are awarded as follows:
2 points for a win
1 point for a draw
No point for a loss
In case of an equality of points between 2 or more teams, for any classification, the teams will be ranked according, to the following rules:

Where 2 or more teams have equal points, their positions will be determined by the results of the games played between such teams.
If points equality from mutual games of all such teams or of some teams still exist, then the goal system shall be applied. In this case, the goals scored against will be deducted from the goals scored for, and the team having the greater positive surplus or smaller negative difference will take precedence. If such teams are equal even on goal difference, then the team with the greater number of goals scored for shall take precedence.
If equality still exists, then the goals from all games played in the group will count as long as the teams in equality have played with the same opponents.
If teams are equal also on goal difference from all games, then the team with the greater number of goals scored for shall take precedence.
If 2 teams are definitely clear equal after their last mutual game in the group, then this game shall be prolonged according to the regulations for play-off games.
If equality still exists despite the whole procedure as above, then:
After the preliminary round of the tournament, the shooting competition of equal teams shall apply as stipulated herein, the regulations, and the winner will gain precedence. If the teams in equality agree, their positions in the preliminary round may be decided by draw.
After the end of the tournament, the equal teams shall be declared finishing in the same position. Nevertheless, should the case of equality concern promotion or relegation, there must be a shooting competition.
If a team declines or is not present to participate in the shooting competition, it will be declared as a loss for that team.
The shooting competition is a part of the respective Championship.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Exactly, Sweden are -5, Russia +3 and Slovakia +2.

If Russia wins Sweden must win with 4 goals against Slovakia to finnish 2nd. I just saw a interview with the BÃ… Gustavsson, and I don't think he is aware of this rule. It didn't seem like that, he thought Sweden would have to loose against Slovakia to finnish 3rd. The swedish brass are a joke.

I Hate You All*

Where 2 or more teams have equal points, their positions will be determined by a cheapshot competition.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Ola said:
Exactly, Sweden are -5, Russia +3 and Slovakia +2.

If Russia wins Sweden must win with 4 goals against Slovakia to finnish 2nd. I just saw a interview with the BÃ… Gustavsson, and I don't think he is aware of this rule. It didn't seem like that, he thought Sweden would have to loose against Slovakia to finnish 3rd. The swedish brass are a joke.

Sweden should probably lose on purpose. Unless they screw up and lose against Italy, Switzerland will finish second in group A and would thus play Sweden in the quarters.

shawn_kemp*

TK79 said:
Sweden should probably lose on purpose. Unless they screw up and lose against Italy, Switzerland will finish second in group A and would thus play Sweden in the quarters.

If Sweden loses on purpose, they'll be labelled as "losers" for the rest of their lives thus losing all respect at the international hockey stage. :teach:

I'm sure Sweden will play for a victory tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad