OT: Ticket Thread - 2018/19 (Make sure to read rules on post 1 before posting tix!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Slim what seats are you in 311 row 5? I'm 3 and 4

Speedy, is row 2 bad because of leaners everywhere or is it worst behind the net?

I've been in row 2 on the end I think one time...definitely a blockage issue that doesn't exist to the same extent even a row higher. I didn't register whether I had a leaner, but it wasn't good. When you combine that with the fact that rows 1 and 2 are in a completely different pricing stratosphere...I'd personally avoid row 2.

I think I've been in row 2 for a concert, in either 329 or 330, and it's been good...but then again, your area of interest is greatly reduced.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Slim what seats are you in 311 row 5? I'm 3 and 4

Speedy, is row 2 bad because of leaners everywhere or is it worst behind the net?

I’m row 3 and will be paying $13 less a seat next season than the group that sits directly in front of me.

Row 2 has the leaners AND 1st row prices.

Not good!

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
I've been in row 2 on the end I think one time...definitely a blockage issue that doesn't exist to the same extent even a row higher. I didn't register whether I had a leaner, but it wasn't good. When you combine that with the fact that rows 1 and 2 are in a completely different pricing stratosphere...I'd personally avoid row 2.

I think I've been in row 2 for a concert, in either 329 or 330, and it's been good...but then again, your area of interest is greatly reduced.

If I could score a pair of Row 1 balcony's I would grab them for that price 100% of the time... I wouldn't think twice, while if I had to pay that price in the Loge, it would take some convincing and thought (passed on a pair today). Row 1 is gold and will always have great value

I would never pay that price for Row 2. I sat in a corner pair of Row 2's that I could have had for $42 at Select A Seat in 2012. Decided not to and don't regret that decision given the insane price increase

Nice selection today.. upwards of 20 seats available in most sections in the Balcony. surprised they had so many non-renewals given the tear this team is on.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
I’m row 3 and will be paying $13 less a seat next season than the group that sits directly in front of me.

Not good!

Are you behind the net, Kate? a Single seat? I think you sold me a single to the Saturday night Pitt game a few years ago when Thornton murdered Orpik.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts

Not good!

For me it looked like corner balcony row 1 was $100 per seat, $70 for row 2, and $59 for row 3 to 10. I'm in row 5 right now

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
For me it looked like corner balcony row 1 was $100 per seat, $70 for row 2, and $59 for row 3 to 10. I'm in row 5 right now

It used to be that rows 1&2 were one price point and 3 started a new one. Maybe that’s changed. I’d still say row 2 is tough for the added cost

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I hear a lot of horror stories about Balcony Row 2. Everyone in the front row leans forward and it obstructs the view of the second row.
Was awful. I thought Krejci scored the game winner vs Tampa in 2011 because the jerk in front of me leaned over at the last minute...

I was in 310 row 2 seat 9 when I had tickets.

I paid slightly less than the 1st row for the first few seasons and then they made it the same price as the first row.

gobosox00

Jan 8, 2010
2nd row is significantly cheaper now than front row. Front row is $100/ticket, 2nd row is $70/ticket for the corner balcony. 304-313 row 2 is the same price as the 314-318, 329-303 rows 3 through 7 price level.

sisu

Jun 2, 2008
boston, ma
i've got two for the Blue Jackets game - payment via paypal/venmo, mobile tickets transferred via bruins account. PM if interested.

section 309 row 5 - bruins shoot 2x - $108/pair

Monday, March 19 vs Blue Jackets7:00 PM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
for season ticket holders, how is reselling on the bruins ticket exchange? how much in fees do they take and how difficult is it to break even? thanks!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
for season ticket holders, how is reselling on the bruins ticket exchange? how much in fees do they take and how difficult is it to break even? thanks!

I only sold on the exchange once this year, for probably one of the cheapest games out there - San Jose Sharks in October on a weekday. I was resigned not to get my full $58 face value - it's best if you have reasonable expectations. My advice: Price so that if you were a buyer looking for a seat similar to yours, your ticket would be a reasonable choice. Look at the prices of other seats that are similar to yours - the buyer sees those too! If you've got a pair of seats in row 10 of the Loge that's up for $300, and someone one row behind you is selling their pair for $155, you know their seat's going to go before yours.

IIRC, it was fairly clear when I posted the ticket that there were three prices. I forget which price you input on their site, but I think it's the amount you take home. The three prices are as follows:

How much the buyer actually gets. For me, it was $40.
How much the ticket is listed for. They tack on 10%, so for me, it was $44.44.
How much the buyer actually pays. They tack on another 21.5%, so a buyer payed $54.

If you do the math, the net is that TicketMaster (or the Bruins, or JJ, or whoever) will get 35% (54/40 in my example) of the amount you get, and that effectively comes from the buyer. I have no idea why they bother with a seller's fee ($4.44 in my example) AND a buyer's fee ($9.56 in my example), but maybe it's a psychological thing.

I actually consider selling my ticket for $40 "breaking even". It was one of the hardest/least desirable tickets to sell for the season, and it sold at literally the last minute. My Habs tickets also have a $58 face value, and I probably could have sold them for at minimum $90 via exchange.

I found it easy. You don't get that "what if the buyer doesn't know how to deal with the tickets" or "what if the buyer claims that your tickets are fake" nervousness that you get when you sell on StubHub - if it's sold on TicketsNow/TicketsExchange/TM+/whatever, it's got a new bar code, and it's the buyer's responsibility to figure it out.

Question: Anyone know if the box office has access to the official resale marketplace, or is it just primary sales there?

Oh, and as far as playoff tickets - if you're a STH, you will almost always get more than face if it sells. Perhaps some theoretical configurations won't be favorable (ie Bruins entering as a wild card without home ice against Carolina, game 3 on a weekday?), but the market's usually decent for sellers. You have the advantage that, as a STH, you're committing to buy up to 16 games "in bulk" - people who are buying your tickets are only buying 1 game, so they're willing to pay a premium for the lack of commitment. Prices will swing as more is known about each game - weekends are more desirable, as are certain opponents - if it's TOR, prices will skyrocket.

Reactions: TP

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
I only sold on the exchange once this year, for probably one of the cheapest games out there - San Jose Sharks in October on a weekday. I was resigned not to get my full $58 face value - it's best if you have reasonable expectations. My advice: Price so that if you were a buyer looking for a seat similar to yours, your ticket would be a reasonable choice. Look at the prices of other seats that are similar to yours - the buyer sees those too! If you've got a pair of seats in row 10 of the Loge that's up for $300, and someone one row behind you is selling their pair for $155, you know their seat's going to go before yours.

IIRC, it was fairly clear when I posted the ticket that there were three prices. I forget which price you input on their site, but I think it's the amount you take home. The three prices are as follows:

How much the buyer actually gets. For me, it was $40.
How much the ticket is listed for. They tack on 10%, so for me, it was $44.44.
How much the buyer actually pays. They tack on another 21.5%, so a buyer payed $54.

If you do the math, the net is that TicketMaster (or the Bruins, or JJ, or whoever) will get 35% (54/40 in my example) of the amount you get, and that effectively comes from the buyer. I have no idea why they bother with a seller's fee ($4.44 in my example) AND a buyer's fee ($9.56 in my example), but maybe it's a psychological thing.

I actually consider selling my ticket for $40 "breaking even". It was one of the hardest/least desirable tickets to sell for the season, and it sold at literally the last minute. My Habs tickets also have a $58 face value, and I probably could have sold them for at minimum $90 via exchange.

I found it easy. You don't get that "what if the buyer doesn't know how to deal with the tickets" or "what if the buyer claims that your tickets are fake" nervousness that you get when you sell on StubHub - if it's sold on TicketsNow/TicketsExchange/TM+/whatever, it's got a new bar code, and it's the buyer's responsibility to figure it out.

Question: Anyone know if the box office has access to the official resale marketplace, or is it just primary sales there?

Oh, and as far as playoff tickets - if you're a STH, you will almost always get more than face if it sells. Perhaps some theoretical configurations won't be favorable (ie Bruins entering as a wild card without home ice against Carolina, game 3 on a weekday?), but the market's usually decent for sellers. You have the advantage that, as a STH, you're committing to buy up to 16 games "in bulk" - people who are buying your tickets are only buying 1 game, so they're willing to pay a premium for the lack of commitment. Prices will swing as more is known about each game - weekends are more desirable, as are certain opponents - if it's TOR, prices will skyrocket.
Thanks for the reply. Trying to decide if I wanted to commit to ST's. I think I'd want to resell half to lower the blow.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Trying to decide if I wanted to commit to ST's. I think I'd want to resell half to lower the blow.
Rumor is that the Bruins monitor resales on the ticket exchange and if you resell too many tickets they will flag your account as a reseller and give you a higher ticket price point than a non-reseller. If your planning to resell half your games on the ticket exchange then you will almost certainly get flagged.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtam83

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
Rumor is that the Bruins monitor resales on the ticket exchange and if you resell too many tickets they will flag your account as a reseller and give you a higher ticket price point than a non-reseller. If your planning to resell half your games on the ticket exchange then you will almost certainly get flagged. Even if reselling at face value it is the quantity of tickets you are reselling that matters.
Also good to know. Sounds like they are forcing me to sell at other sites too. Thanks!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don't know if it's just the official ticket exchange that they monitor...I mean, it's the only one where they can verify that you actually sold your tickets. Theoretically, they could see what seats listed on StubHub and cross-reference with their STH list, but that's not necessarily accurate for many reasons. StubHub doesn't require seat number (just section/row), and a listing doesn't mean it's sold - you could theoretically list all 44 games, and stop after the first 5 sell.

I don't know the amount of the markup, and I don't know if it makes it completely cost-prohibitive to resell, but it's naturally something you don't want.

The "rules" for where they draw the line for resellers aren't exactly clear, but yeah, if you said you're selling half and whatever system they have "sees" all those sales, I wouldn't be surprised if you got flagged. Probably better to network with friends - get a group of 2-4 people who go to the games independently for the most part, and everyone takes 11-22 games. You avoid fees, and you can trade amongst yourselves.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
We can't keep up with the full home schedule anymore, but we sell to mostly family and friends. You'd be surprised who will come out of the woodwork with a simple facebook post. I sold 3 games to a friend from high school's mother who wanted to give them as Christmas gifts.

When the schedule comes out over the summer, we sit down and mark every home game as one of the following: Go, TBD, Sell, Sell Premium. For the sell games, we blast those out to our network and make them available for sale basically at our cost to friends and family. We usually do one blast right as the season is getting started and then again right before Christmas. Go is pretty self-explanatory...games we know we definitely want to go to. We try to get to one game a week when there are multiple games scheduled, so we pick the most attractive opponent or day of the week that tends to work best for our schedules.

TBD we decide closer to the date and sell to friends and family or put up on secondary market. These usually aren't premium games, and if we eat a game or two or end up selling under face, this is where that happens. Sell premium is if it's a premium matchup or weekend game that we can't go to for some reason, and we put those up for sale on the secondary market in an attempt to make back some of the money we eat on games that we can't unload or unload for a loss. It also helps offset the pre-season cost built into our monthly payments and fees we are charged for pay as your play, etc.

We create a google spreadsheet and update as we talk to friends, family, co-workers so it's easy for both of us to keep track of. It's work, but we're really organized about it and it requires us to plan ahead. It also helps keep the ad hoc requests for tickets at bay (which can be annoying), as our crew has realized we're really vocal about games we have available for sale. We also have some friends that ask for games against specific teams as soon as the schedule comes out and try to accommodate as best we can.

We aren't looking to make money, really just want to not lose any. The system has been working well for us the past few years. I wish we could get to more, but life and priorities changing makes it difficult.

We will be in our 10th year next season, and the experience has definitely changed. For all the crap we (rightfully) give to the Bruins about how they treat their STH in terms of lack of perks, etc, I'm incredibly grateful for the 10-month payment plan and pay as you play for the playoffs. There's no way we would be able to maintain our tickets without that, but I think that's the case for most STH.

Having tickets is awesome, but it's an investment...both in time and money. If you go to every game, that's a LOT of time and nights away from home. If you can't go to a certain number of games, if you put the time in to unloading them, you should be able to. I'm looking forward to the playoffs. In addition to playoff hockey being awesome, it also tends to bring back the regulars /old crew in the building. Little bit like getting the band back together.

gobosox00

Jan 8, 2010
Oh man, anyone check out the presale this morning? All rounds on sale. Cup finals tickets are over $1000 face value balcony. Wild.

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
We can't keep up with the full home schedule anymore, but we sell to mostly family and friends. You'd be surprised who will come out of the woodwork with a simple facebook post. I sold 3 games to a friend from high school's mother who wanted to give them as Christmas gifts.

When the schedule comes out over the summer, we sit down and mark every home game as one of the following: Go, TBD, Sell, Sell Premium. For the sell games, we blast those out to our network and make them available for sale basically at our cost to friends and family. We usually do one blast right as the season is getting started and then again right before Christmas. Go is pretty self-explanatory...games we know we definitely want to go to. We try to get to one game a week when there are multiple games scheduled, so we pick the most attractive opponent or day of the week that tends to work best for our schedules.

TBD we decide closer to the date and sell to friends and family or put up on secondary market. These usually aren't premium games, and if we eat a game or two or end up selling under face, this is where that happens. Sell premium is if it's a premium matchup or weekend game that we can't go to for some reason, and we put those up for sale on the secondary market in an attempt to make back some of the money we eat on games that we can't unload or unload for a loss. It also helps offset the pre-season cost built into our monthly payments and fees we are charged for pay as your play, etc.

We create a google spreadsheet and update as we talk to friends, family, co-workers so it's easy for both of us to keep track of. It's work, but we're really organized about it and it requires us to plan ahead. It also helps keep the ad hoc requests for tickets at bay (which can be annoying), as our crew has realized we're really vocal about games we have available for sale. We also have some friends that ask for games against specific teams as soon as the schedule comes out and try to accommodate as best we can.

We aren't looking to make money, really just want to not lose any. The system has been working well for us the past few years. I wish we could get to more, but life and priorities changing makes it difficult.

We will be in our 10th year next season, and the experience has definitely changed. For all the crap we (rightfully) give to the Bruins about how they treat their STH in terms of lack of perks, etc, I'm incredibly grateful for the 10-month payment plan and pay as you play for the playoffs. There's no way we would be able to maintain our tickets without that, but I think that's the case for most STH.

Having tickets is awesome, but it's an investment...both in time and money. If you go to every game, that's a LOT of time and nights away from home. If you can't go to a certain number of games, if you put the time in to unloading them, you should be able to. I'm looking forward to the playoffs. In addition to playoff hockey being awesome, it also tends to bring back the regulars /old crew in the building. Little bit like getting the band back together.
Great suggestions! I'm probably going to employ a similar system now that in $5400 poorer

Reactions: Kate08

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Oh man, anyone check out the presale this morning? All rounds on sale. Cup finals tickets are over $1000 face value balcony. Wild.

They do that every year. Face value "blue dot" tickets are always priced WAY high. The STH price is priced fairly low, especially for the Finals - mine is $180. The prices will settle, usually somewhere between the two...although this year, prices may be nuts because of the likelihood (77.7% according to Sports Club Stats) of a series against Toronto. If that's the case, there will be tons of folks from Toronto booking trips here - happens in the regular season, too. There are so many variables, like the date and opponent, that people are probably somewhat reluctant to buy now, especially out-of-towners.

The playoff tickets are one of the biggest perks of being a STH...granted, playoffs happen only half the time on average, and SCFs only once every 16 years. And I think every NHL team gives STHs the rights to their seat for the playoff...but the Bruins give a semi-decent price, compared to what they do with single seats. But if you can't go, you should be able to unload the tickets easily...if anyone plans on becoming a STH, I'd recommend making sure you can swing the playoff tickets, either to go yourself or to resell some. Pay as you play isn't bad - you get hit in March for 2 tickets when they clinch (got my notification at 10:10 this morning - they're fast!), and then they dribble in as the games are clinched/guaranteed to be played.

As far as other perks, yeah, they're kind of minimal. But other clubs in big cities who have lots of corporate STHs - like the Rangers, Leafs, and Kings - you're with a crowd that's not as interested in those perks, and a crowd that will always buy tickets to have on hand for clients. So don't expect "free ticket buybacks" or "ticket exchanges to later games" like they (probably) have in Arizona. And no concessions discounts *grumble*. But I did total up quite a few perks - player picture-n-greet with Stanley Cup and food, two bowl-and-watch nights (more free food), skate at the Garden and Warrior, a scarf, a t-shirt, and the State of the Bruins talk. It's minimal, but it's reasonable for a team in a rabid hockey market...it's all supply and demand, and despite Bruins being "the fourth team" in Boston, there's still demand.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Got my pre-sale code, went on line and found that I could get the seats I got 3 weeks ago, which cost $130, for $350-ish. LOL

No thanks.

Been watching since early 70's...mostly on TV...that option still works for me!

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Great suggestions! I'm probably going to employ a similar system now that in $5400 poorer

Congrats.

Honestly, if you have the cash to spend and work a little bit to make sure tickets don't go unused if you can't/don't want to attend, being a STH is really great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad