Thumbs down on NHL Network: editing vintage games

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckhead103*

have u noticed the major editing of some vintage games on the NHL Network?

i received two vhs tapes of oiler games and was i disappointed with both games due to heavy editing...one game missed coffey's second period goal in game 2 between the jets/oil vintage series.....

i hate watching a vintage game and not able to see its original content....

i live here in the states and found out NHL Network will come to the US....i just hope the US version doesn't edit the games in order to fit into a two hour range...but i doubt it... :shakehead :p:

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead103*

bcrt2000 said:
i've watched quite a few vintage games and never noticed editing
was it the games from the 2000's?....

a friend of mine taped two games from jets/oil and i can see the games were edited......

usually those old 1980's HNIC games were pretty long back in the day.......so in order to fit a game in a two hours....certain small points (faceoffs, delays) were edited out....

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
puckhead103 said:
have u noticed the major editing of some vintage games on the NHL Network?

i received two vhs tapes of oiler games and was i disappointed with both games due to heavy editing...one game missed coffey's second period goal in game 2 between the jets/oil vintage series.....

i hate watching a vintage game and not able to see its original content....

i live here in the states and found out NHL Network will come to the US....i just hope the US version doesn't edit the games in order to fit into a two hour range...but i doubt it... :shakehead :p:

Woah woah woah....The NHL Network is coming to the States? Where did you read that??????

deathtoespn

Aug 11, 2005
Like Hockey fans don't notice!

Yes, I too despise when networks that re-play old vintage games edit them. If the game is too long for a specific time slot, don't show it. Editing hockey games is akin to just showing hilights--which when you think about it is exactly what an edited hockey game is.
The only recourse folks have is to write a letter to the network and complain. Of course, most folks don't have time for this, so the network thinks it's OK and continues to do it.
There is a tacit agreement between viewer and network that goes like this: I'll agree to watch the commercials you air in exchange for your allowing me to view the game I want to see--the game, not just segments of it. Now networks like ESPN have constantly violated this agreement by foisting distracting tickers, screen-obscuring promotional graphics, and Gary Thorne upon us. But if folks don't write in to complain, then the network will continue to violate this tacit agreement and piss on the person who has the audacity to want to see every shift of a hockey game. Take the time and write in a complaint. You're not just holding the network accountable, but you're helping out your fellow fan.

Rather Gingerly 1*

I agree. They cut so much out of those old games it is not worth really showing them.

It would be great if they included the intermission classics and post and pre-game commentary. Also, a few old time commercials would be cool

puckhead103*

deathtoespn said:
Yes, I too despise when networks that re-play old vintage games edit them. If the game is too long for a specific time slot, don't show it. Editing hockey games is akin to just showing hilights--which when you think about it is exactly what an edited hockey game is.
The only recourse folks have is to write a letter to the network and complain. Of course, most folks don't have time for this, so the network thinks it's OK and continues to do it.
There is a tacit agreement between viewer and network that goes like this: I'll agree to watch the commercials you air in exchange for your allowing me to view the game I want to see--the game, not just segments of it. Now networks like ESPN have constantly violated this agreement by foisting distracting tickers, screen-obscuring promotional graphics, and Gary Thorne upon us. But if folks don't write in to complain, then the network will continue to violate this tacit agreement and piss on the person who has the audacity to want to see every shift of a hockey game. Take the time and write in a complaint. You're not just holding the network accountable, but you're helping out your fellow fan.
:clap: :clap:
i wonder if NHL Network is being run by ESPN.......it sucks....and your right.....

puckhead103*

Rather Gingerly 1 said:
I agree. They cut so much out of those old games it is not worth really showing them.

It would be great if they included the intermission classics and post and pre-game commentary. Also, a few old time commercials would be cool
i wish for that to happen to...but i doubt it...

i wonder if NHL Network USA will do the same thing as up there in canada... :(

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The have to edit games down or the schedule would be a mess. How could they ever program anything to be on time if they have to show a bunch of games with odd running lengths. It would mean that they would have to come up with filler material of varying lengths to fit every possible slot.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
The NHL Network and ESPN Classic Canada are mostly owned by the same group of owners. ESPN Classic Canada and ESPN in the states have a sharing relationship.

One reason why some games are edited into 2 hours is because rating surveys say that programs over two hours have a hard time keeping viewers. That's the television business for you.

Watch 'Leafs TV' and their Classic games. If there is a complete game, then the entire game is shown. Most of the intermissions are included. They can't air the original commercials because of rights issues. There are other reasons why all intermission content is not aired. Some tv personalities or intermission shows have contracts that either forbid reairing the intermission or have to be paid. Have you ever seen a 'Coaches Corner' in a classic game anywhere?

Putting Classic games on TV are not as straightforward as many of you think.

puckhead103 said:
:clap: :clap:
i wonder if NHL Network is being run by ESPN.......it sucks....and your right.....

puckhead103*

ClassicHockey said:
The NHL Network and ESPN Classic Canada are mostly owned by the same group of owners. ESPN Classic Canada and ESPN in the states have a sharing relationship.

One reason why some games are edited into 2 hours is because rating surveys say that programs over two hours have a hard time keeping viewers. That's the television business for you.

Watch 'Leafs TV' and their Classic games. If there is a complete game, then the entire game is shown. Most of the intermissions are included. They can't air the original commercials because of rights issues. There are other reasons why all intermission content is not aired. Some tv personalities or intermission shows have contracts that either forbid reairing the intermission or have to be paid. Have you ever seen a 'Coaches Corner' in a classic game anywhere?

Putting Classic games on TV are not as straightforward as many of you think.

no wonder.......the rating survey sucks...i mean u have a cable niche channel that will attract the hard core fan..a long game will not bother the hard core fan....

Pejorative Slurs... :(

reptilian humanoids

Aug 25, 2005
Look behind you...
I don't see why they can't have the game run for three hours... I mean, god forbid--they show the same game more than once a day! Instead of showing the same game twice, in four hours, they might as well just show the game once in 3 hours... what's the problem?

And it's really fun to watch a cup-winning game only to have it cut right after the whistle blows, skipping right past all the celebrations and everything :shakehead

SopelFan*

The NHL Network is awesome. I LIKE how it is edited down sometimes and you miss the inbetween play ****.

HBLee82

Jan 5, 2004
California
iamhannah.com
puckhead103 said:

When are we getting the NHL network in the US?

puckhead103*

HBLee82 said:
When are we getting the NHL network in the US?
don't know....do a search for comcast (oln) and NHL network....

for MO....i wouldn't get it.....its crap....

puckhead103*

reptilian humanoids said:
I don't see why they can't have the game run for three hours... I mean, god forbid--they show the same game more than once a day! Instead of showing the same game twice, in four hours, they might as well just show the game once in 3 hours... what's the problem?

And it's really fun to watch a cup-winning game only to have it cut right after the whistle blows, skipping right past all the celebrations and everything :shakehead

thats why i buy my games bootleg...... :snide:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Stupid question here, but is NHL Network just vintage games and stuff, or is it kind of like Center Ice in Canada, as in it shows tons of games in the current season?

I am considering getting it and I have Comcast cable.

puckhead103*

MrKnowNothing said:
Stupid question here, but is NHL Network just vintage games and stuff, or is it kind of like Center Ice in Canada, as in it shows tons of games in the current season?

i believe its a combination of both or it might be a one time thing.....i can remember back in the '03-'04 season, mainly they would show a series called "on the fly" where they show different games that night...

about the vintage games, it came into being during the lockout....when the '05-'06 season starts, i believe NN probably will revert in showing games "on the fly" more so than viewing vintage games....

Last edited by a moderator:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
At the end of the last season the NHL netowork showed a handful of full current games, but as far as I know their normal schedule includes vintage games (which can be anything not from the current season), and highlights/pieces of current games. "On the Fly" is their nightly broadcast that skips around the nights games, showing you 2-5 minutes at a time, but not a single continuous game.

And as for the editing of vintage games, I already said why they must do this. Games run all sorts of odd times. 2 hour blocks might be the predicted times, but play stoppages mean they might last anywhere from an hour and 45 minutes, to 3 hours, and every permutation in between. If the NHL network were to show entire games with no cuts, it would throw their schedule into chaos. The would either have to start each show in accordance with the timing of games (which would make it all but unwatchable if you were waiting for a specific show), or they would have to have endless amounts of filler material to run 5-15 minutes between teh end of a show and the start of the next game.

puckhead103*

The Nemesis said:
At the end of the last season the NHL netowork showed a handful of full current games, but as far as I know their normal schedule includes vintage games (which can be anything not from the current season), and highlights/pieces of current games. "On the Fly" is their nightly broadcast that skips around the nights games, showing you 2-5 minutes at a time, but not a single continuous game.

And as for the editing of vintage games, I already said why they must do this. Games run all sorts of odd times. 2 hour blocks might be the predicted times, but play stoppages mean they might last anywhere from an hour and 45 minutes, to 3 hours, and every permutation in between. If the NHL network were to show entire games with no cuts, it would throw their schedule into chaos. The would either have to start each show in accordance with the timing of games (which would make it all but unwatchable if you were waiting for a specific show), or they would have to have endless amounts of filler material to run 5-15 minutes between teh end of a show and the start of the next game.

but one thing i hate about editing is missing goals...i watched game 2 between jets/oil...they edited out the coffey goal...i know other may view that as trivial..but to a hard core hockey fan, especially someone who creating a collection of playoff games, would be pissed...

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
puckhead103 said:
but one thing i hate about editing is missing goals...i watched game 2 between jets/oil...they edited out the coffey goal...i know other may view that as trivial..but to a hard core hockey fan, especially someone who creating a collection of playoff games, would be pissed...

fyi, I know there was a problem with the master tapes for this game and the Coffey goal. I can't recall what it was, but it wasn't airable either due to a drop in the feed or a problem from the originating network.

Anyways, no goals or crucial game action were supposed to be left out of the vintage series.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
MrKnowNothing said:

No schedule as of yet. Bettman would only state the contract says it has to be within 24 months.

Bettman also stated NHL Network will have live games, at least 1 per week.

The network revolves around the main program "On the Fly" which is a nightly look around the NHL. If you've been watching the NFL Network's this pre-season, "No Huddle" is modelled after "On the Fly". The show focuses on live action and highlights throughout the night, and then recaps everything at the end of the night. Its a great show for poolies to keep track of the league.

With no games right now, here's a look at the network's schedule for this week:

Tune in to the NHL Network for the following featured programs:

Monday, August 29
Top 10: Playoff Rivalries of the 1990's, 6pm et/3pm pt
Vintage Games: 1980 All-Star Game, 7pm et/4pm pt
2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Ottawa @ New Jersey, Game 6, 9pm et/6pm pt
Classic Series: 1995 Western Conference Semifinal, 11pm et/8pm pt

Tuesday, August 30
Top 10: Games in the Battle of Ontario, 6pm et/3pm pt
Vintage Games: 1983 NHL All-Star Game, 7pm et/4pm pt
2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs: New Jersey @ Ottawa, Game 7, 9pm et/6pm pt
Classic Series: 1995 Blackhawks vs Red Wings, 11pm et/8pm pt

Wednesday, August 31
Top 10: Memorable Moments: Colorado vs Detroit, 6pm et/3pm pt
Vintage Games: 1992 NHL All-Star Game, 7pm et/4pm pt
2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs: 2001 Edmonton vs Dallas, Game 1, 9pm et/6pm pt
Classic Series: 1995 Flyers vs Devils, 11pm et/8pm pt

Thursday, September 1
Top 10: Oilers vs Stars Playoff Games of the 1990's, 6pm et/3pm pt
Vintage Games: 1996 NHL All-Star Game, 7pm et/4pm pt
2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs: 2001 Edmonton vs Dallas, Game 2, 9pm et/6pm pt
Classic Series: 1995 Devils vs Red Wings, 11pm et/8pm pt

Friday, September 2
NHL This Week: Get the latest on the week's hockey news, 6pm et/3pm pt
Encores at 6:30pm et/3:30pm pt, 11pm et/8pm pt, 11:30pm et/8:30 pm pt, midnight et/9pm pt, 12:30am et/9:30pm pt
Vintage Games: 1997 NHL All-Star Game, 7pm et/4pm pt
2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs: 2001 Edmonton vs Dallas, Game 3, 9pm et/6pm pt

Hope this helps!

puckhead103*

TheMoose said:
fyi, I know there was a problem with the master tapes for this game and the Coffey goal. I can't recall what it was, but it wasn't airable either due to a drop in the feed or a problem from the originating network.

Anyways, no goals or crucial game action were supposed to be left out of the vintage series.
oh...i see.....thanks for update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->