throwing the young guys under the bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
correct me if im wrong (and please explain why i am)
but would a cap starting after 3 years or after 6 years just be another example of the Unions willingness to toss the younger players under the bus? It smacks of "we got ours and we will keep it, you can have the salary cap when we are gone"

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
When Daigle and all the rookies were getting the astronomical rookie contracts, there was an uproar, how can such unproven players make so much. Players will get better and deserve raises, but if you start them so high, things will spiral out of control.

So we get a rookie cap. And rules to slow down the ability of young players to get raises until they reach free agency (which we have learned is a good thing for sports, not a bad one that you would intuitively think)

The result is that fans accuse the union of throwing rookies under the bus. Fine. Rookies are free agents and we'll cap them when they are 31.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
i think all the proposals so far have been completely ridiculous regarding entry level guys.

i understand fully the need for their to be a decrease in their salaries as well as a decrease in their bonus'. however, i think it's absurd to cut out the performance bonus' entirely. If a guy performs well throughout the year and hits some of the benchmarks, why shouldn't he be rewarded for that? i'm not saying anyone should be making Daigle-like dollars. But, c'mon.....let's try and be fair.

and you say they can be free agents when they're 31? or what if the age is lowered to 28? so what? what about guys who are entering the league when they're 20-21 years old? with no arbitration, and the owners wanting young players signed to longer entry level contracts.....they're looking at 7-10 years at making $850,000......IF they even are able to sign for the top dollar, which will be damn few of them to begin with. Tell me how this is right?????

It sure seems like good reason for all the higher level talent to go elsewhere....why not play in Europe???? What's to keep them in the NHL??? Does the NHL need to have even FEWER talented players than it already has????? Gawwwd....this irritates me soooooooo much.... :mad:

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
I don't think the position of the NHLPA is really one of just sacrificing the younger players - it is mainly about taking care of the big contract "star" players.
A solid, but not overly talented 3d line player is never going to have an opportunity to get a 8 or 10 million dollar a year contract. The money he will lose in the lockout is far greater than he would have lost over the course of his career working under a cap.
Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to take until some time well into what would have been next season before enough of the "average" players step up and demand a voice and force a change in the approach of their association.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I agree that the bonuses shouldn't be removed.. I also see how it could be a tool for GM's to snag players. So, what needs to be done is for the league to set standard rates for the bonuses and not allow a team to pay over or under that mark. Balance!

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
barnburner said:
I don't think the position of the NHLPA is really one of just sacrificing the younger players - it is mainly about taking care of the big contract "star" players.
A solid, but not overly talented 3d line player is never going to have an opportunity to get a 8 or 10 million dollar a year contract. The money he will lose in the lockout is far greater than he would have lost over the course of his career working under a cap.
Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to take until some time well into what would have been next season before enough of the "average" players step up and demand a voice and force a change in the approach of their association.

Yeah but you forget that a lot of 3rd line players are making huge bucks. Domi making $2 mil, Arnott making $4 mil, and Darren McCarty making 2.3 mil. The problem is that many of the 3rd liners will take a large hit in salary. The only people really complaining are the bottom scrubs making $1 mil and less who don't even deserve to play in the NHL but are in only because of expansion.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
txomisc said:
correct me if im wrong (and please explain why i am)
but would a cap starting after 3 years or after 6 years just be another example of the Unions willingness to toss the younger players under the bus? It smacks of "we got ours and we will keep it, you can have the salary cap when we are gone"
as long as sidney crosby is around no young guys are gonna miss out - $$$ -

Balk

Healthy Scratch
I don't agree with the total elimination of performances bonuses, but the current bonuses are often so easy to reach that the idea behind them is lost.

A solution would be to set standard bonuses by the league. Such as for a rookie forward there would be standard bonuses for goals, assists, points, etc. Defensemen would have a different set of bonuses (lower goal, assist totals, etc.) and goalies would have a third set.

All the payments would be standard, i.e. $100 000 for 20 goals, another 100 000 for 30 goals, etc. It would be the agents job to negotiate which of these bonuses are included.

This would eliminate the easy bonus and ensure that rookie contracts don't get too out of hand.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
It happens in all labor deals, escpecially since those guys really dont have voices in the process, I doubt anyone in the NHLPA or the Owners cares what Sidney Crossby has to say at this point in time. Yet guys like him will be hugely effected by the next CBA>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->