Through two AHL games for Kari Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
If the Pens had a goalie as solid as Nurimenen, Fleury would be in the AHL too.

If Lehtonen were with the Pens, he'd probably be in the NHL right now also, and I bet he would be doing just as well.

They are both great goalie prospects. It will be interesting to see who has the better career. :)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pachoo said:
If the Pens had a goalie as solid as Nurimenen, Fleury would be in the AHL too.

If Lehtonen were with the Pens, he'd probably be in the NHL right now also, and I bet he would be doing just as well.

They are both great goalie prospects. It will be interesting to see who has the better career. :)
First Fleury wouldn't be in the AHL because he's too YOUNG.

Second, myself I used to rate Lehtonen above Fleury. Do a search you'll see it. Even as a Pens fan. Not anymore. I think I simply underrated Fleury. Of course if he gets a few 5 goals against my mind might change, but so far, I've been amazed by his game. Think about that :
As an 18 year old, Lehtonen put up similar numbers in the finn league that Fleury is putting in the NHL though Kari was playing for one of the best team and Fleury for one of the worst.
There is no doubt in my mind that Fleury is more advanced at 18 that Lehtonen was.

That said, Atlanta has a great goalie prospect in their hands, and in a year from now (providing no work stoppage), Lehtonen might play better than Fleury.
But as of TODAY, I rate Fleury higher than Lehtonen, especially given his age.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Evilo said:
As an 18 year old, Lehtonen put up similar numbers in the finn league that Fleury is putting in the NHL though Kari was playing for one of the best team and Fleury for one of the worst.
There is no doubt in my mind that Fleury is more advanced at 18 that Lehtonen was.

Once Fleury has completed the season with 70+ games, we can compare. He is a great prospect, but you are comparing playing few games and playing a season.

There is no doubt in my mind Lehtonen would have played in the NHL last year if he was a penguins prospect.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
Some people have problems tolerating two good goalie prospects...why is it so hard?

Exactly! I'll be honest, I had my doubts about both goalies being as good as the hype. IMO, goalies should not be taken in the top 5, as they are too risky a pick, but so far, both have been extremely impressive. I think more time is needed to truly evaluate them, but so far, neither has done anything to make me believe that they are not the real deal.

Mephisto

May 9, 2002
eddieshore.zapto.org
HabLover said:
Well, Fleury is in the show and Lehtonen is not!.....and Fleury is a year younger. Makes MA's accomplishments that much more impressive!

Atlanta didn't need a saviour like the Pens did...Besides, The Thrashers had enough depth ain th enet to have the luxury of sending Lehto to the AHL. I don't think the Pens had the same option with MA.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
psycho_dad said:
Once Fleury has completed the season with 70+ games, we can compare. He is a great prospect, but you are comparing playing few games and playing a season.

There is no doubt in my mind Lehtonen would have played in the NHL last year if he was a penguins prospect.
Last year ? Nah, the Pens had Hedberg, Aubin and Caron.
Even so, I doubt Lehtonen would put Fleury's numbers and general impression as far as maturity goes.

As for having to choose one, I like both, but that is quite logical to compare the two.
As I said before, I was a firm believer Lehtonen was the best goalie prospect in the world.
So far, I've changed my mind. But of course it's only the beginning of the season and Fleury could falter.
It still doesn't take anything away from his accomplishments so far.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Evilo said:
Even so, I doubt Lehtonen would put Fleury's numbers and general impression as far as maturity goes.

As for having to choose one, I like both, but that is quite logical to compare the two.
As I said before, I was a firm believer Lehtonen was the best goalie prospect in the world.
So far, I've changed my mind. But of course it's only the beginning of the season and Fleury could falter.

What will be of interest is when we can properly compare the two..
If Lehtonen spends all of this year in AHL..
If there's work stoppage next season, where will Fleury play? Lehtonen's guaranteed time with Jokerit, probably #1 or sharing the job with Pasi..
Then after the stoppage.. has Fleury played? has he gone without playing?

What will be the day when they're both on an even keel?
I hope it's this season, 2005-2006 season at some point (if Fleury didn't play at all during stoppage) is rather far away..

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
HabLover said:
Well, Fleury is in the show and Lehtonen is not!.....and Fleury is a year younger. Makes MA's accomplishments that much more impressive!

MA Fleury is very good, (great) right now, but he had to compete with Caron and Aubin for his spot...

Lethonen would have take the spot too!

BJ21

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Evilo said:

You are talking about Aubin, Caron and Hedberg as the Pens have depth in the net...

C'mon!!! caron is a future good back up or inconcisten starter, Aubin have no place to go in the NHL and I doubt that Hedberg will last a long tme in the NHL... I mean he is COUTIER's back up! I'ts not an Honor!!!

Lethonen would have crack this line up without a doubt... IMO

BJ21

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
BlackJack21 said:
You are talking about Aubin, Caron and Hedberg as the Pens have depth in the net...

C'mon!!! caron is a future good back up or inconcisten starter, Aubin have no place to go in the NHL and I doubt that Hedberg will last a long tme in the NHL... I mean he is COUTIER's back up! I'ts not an Honor!!!

Lethonen would have crack this line up without a doubt... IMO

BJ21
Hedberg not in the league for a long time ?
LMAO !

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
BlackJack21 said:
What do you like that much about him to think there's not 60 goalie better than him in the world....?

BJ21
How many goalies have gone to the conference finals ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad