Thrashers past champions??

ThrashersGM

Dec 14, 2006
I was browsing the site looking at past awards and getting myself familiar with the league and I noticed that the Thrashers won the cup a couple years ago! What the hell happened to this team if only a couple years ago they won the cup.....phewww I got my work cut out for me, the fans have already tasted glory and now I am expected to return this disenchanted franchise to its past glory!

Theodore better get back to his old form quick, hehe

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
What the hell happened to this team if only a couple years ago they won the cup

It's true - and that's exactly what happened to that team - previous GMs stockpiled veterans (and salaries) and happened to luck into a Cup, but had traded their youth and picks away in the process, and didn't have anything else in the tank. Many veterans retired, I believe, or became free agents, and GMs asleep at the switch did essentially nothing to keep what was left of the team from falling to pieces.

Lesson for us all. (Especially me: I already had half a dozen veterans get moved with little youth to replace them, and not on the farm coming in - and I didn't even win a damn Cup...)

HFNHL Red Wings

Even more frustrating is that it was my Red Wings they beat out for the cup in a dramatic game 7 :pullhair:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
It's true - and that's exactly what happened to that team - previous GMs stockpiled veterans (and salaries) and happened to luck into a Cup, but had traded their youth and picks away in the process, and didn't have anything else in the tank. Many veterans retired, I believe, or became free agents, and GMs asleep at the switch did essentially nothing to keep what was left of the team from falling to pieces.

Lesson for us all. (Especially me: I already had half a dozen veterans get moved with little youth to replace them, and not on the farm coming in - and I didn't even win a damn Cup...)

From what I remember, they had both Steve Yzerman and Patrick Roy...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad