Thoughts on Various Hothatches:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by robertmac43, Mar 5, 2018.

1. robertmac43

robertmac43 Registered User

University Student
    So I have been debating on what sporty Hatchback to get in the next year and a half or so. I have always been drawn to the GTI and Veloster Turbo. Anyone got any thoughts on these cars or any other hatchbacks out there? Just trying to hear from peoples experiences that aren't sales people!

2. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Interstellar Viceroy
    Have a GTI. You can’t really get a better car for the money. It drives nicer than many $50K cars and it’s got a luxury interior similar to $40K cars.

Veloster Turbo to be honest is closer to a regular Golf than it is a GTI. New version that I believe comes out later this year will be closer to a GTI.

You don’t really have many options if you want the strict definition of a hot hatch. The WRX and STi are sedan only now. The Civic Si and Type R are sedans as well. The Focus RS is about to be killed (and let’s be honest it’s wildly overpriced), as is the Fiesta (so no more Fiesta ST). Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Focus ST only offered in sedan format as well going forward. The A3 (and therefore the S3 and RS3) are also sedan only unless you get the eletrified version (and the E-Tron isn’t much of a performance car anyway). If we expand the definition of hot hatch to compact sedans inspired by the historical hot hatch, you have more choices.

RichWVU likes this.
  3. RichWVU

RichWVU Registered User

Think Nullus nailed it. GTI is an insane value compared to what else is in the same class. It might be a bit of a boring choice, but you can't go wrong with it.

4. rynryn

rynryn Reluctant Optimist

secret
    Why no Golf R?

I've never driven a Veloceter so i can't really comment car for car but the above makes a point that the Golf platform is a bit boring while the veloceter certainly stands out (IMO). So when i was shopping I was looking at a R partially because it was nondescript. I speed a lot so really want as common a color as possible, personally, and want to blend in if I think a cop is stalking me. So I'd vote GTI here.

5. Nullus Reverentia

Interstellar Viceroy
    It's like a 10K premium on a GTI.

In the US, you only get the boring colours. In Canada, you can get a wide variety...35 to be exact.

VWVortex.com - 2018 Golf R Mk7.5 Colour "Booklet"

Was very tempted to order one in either Viper Green or 91 Blue. I don't like "ricer" aesthetics such as what you get on the STi or Type R, but a fancy colour is alright by me.

6. rynryn

secret
    i totally appreciate "fancy" colors and...gd i'd love a 911 in Miami blue...Um....But yeah that's a car that's going to stand out anyway. Like i said--totally appreciate them and were it not for my proclivity to speed then I'd tend to go for as bright a color as possible (like i wanted a VW Atlas in that yellow color--not much chance i'd be tearing it up in that). But yeah holy crap US market got the shaft color-wise. Cliff green. noice.

7. Nullus Reverentia

Interstellar Viceroy
    The Atlas is sort of a mustard yellow. It would stand out but not really you’re typical flashy colour.

A VW Canada exec said that it was essentially a reward for VW doing so well in Canada. VW has about double the market share in Canada as the US and it climbs every year. There was even talk about getting the VW midsized truck, the Amarok, which is the best selling truck in the UK.

8. rynryn

secret
    I believe it. Lets see if that drives down cost to repair as it takes a bigger market share and certified mechanics become more commonplace. I suppose Canadian markets will get a wider selection of engine choices as well. :(

Still I like my car in its "give-up grey". really pretty decently mutes the salt scum build up on the daily drive too. i have the most boring a3 wheels on it for winter too so it really blends in.

9. Nullus Reverentia

Interstellar Viceroy
    Probably not. As long as suppliers are concentrated outside North America, prices will be high. I don't think Canada has any unique engine choices currently but transmission they do. Manuals are offered more extensively in Canada than the US, although I have heard that TDI is more likely to return in Canada than the US.

I don't mind grey, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. Just like silver, it gets too boring eventually. Audi does have nice grey's though, Nardo is a fantastic colour.

10. NyQuil

NyQuil Unleashed

I drive a Mini Cooper S.

Might be the most fun I've had in my driving career.

11. rynryn

secret
    ooo yeah coopers! only driven a really worn-in vanilla one and even that was fun. felt like a go-cart. really stiff ride. not fast, but quick enough in city driving and the ride made it feel faster.

12. Auston Marlander

Auston Marlander I was in the pool!!

Completely agree, such a fun car. A literal go cart for the road. If you can budget it, the Cooper Works is just a blast.

13. NyQuil

NyQuil Unleashed

I thought about the JCW (220 hp) but it's pretty pricey.

Settled for an S (189 hp) with all of the bells and whistles instead.