Thoughts on Various Hothatches:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So I have been debating on what sporty Hatchback to get in the next year and a half or so. I have always been drawn to the GTI and Veloster Turbo. Anyone got any thoughts on these cars or any other hatchbacks out there? Just trying to hear from peoples experiences that aren't sales people!

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Have a GTI. You can’t really get a better car for the money. It drives nicer than many $50K cars and it’s got a luxury interior similar to $40K cars.

Veloster Turbo to be honest is closer to a regular Golf than it is a GTI. New version that I believe comes out later this year will be closer to a GTI.

You don’t really have many options if you want the strict definition of a hot hatch. The WRX and STi are sedan only now. The Civic Si and Type R are sedans as well. The Focus RS is about to be killed (and let’s be honest it’s wildly overpriced), as is the Fiesta (so no more Fiesta ST). Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Focus ST only offered in sedan format as well going forward. The A3 (and therefore the S3 and RS3) are also sedan only unless you get the eletrified version (and the E-Tron isn’t much of a performance car anyway). If we expand the definition of hot hatch to compact sedans inspired by the historical hot hatch, you have more choices.

Reactions: RichWVU

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014
Think Nullus nailed it. GTI is an insane value compared to what else is in the same class. It might be a bit of a boring choice, but you can't go wrong with it.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Why no Golf R?

I've never driven a Veloceter so i can't really comment car for car but the above makes a point that the Golf platform is a bit boring while the veloceter certainly stands out (IMO). So when i was shopping I was looking at a R partially because it was nondescript. I speed a lot so really want as common a color as possible, personally, and want to blend in if I think a cop is stalking me. So I'd vote GTI here.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Why no Golf R?

I've never driven a Veloceter so i can't really comment car for car but the above makes a point that the Golf platform is a bit boring while the veloceter certainly stands out (IMO). So when i was shopping I was looking at a R partially because it was nondescript. I speed a lot so really want as common a color as possible, personally, and want to blend in if I think a cop is stalking me. So I'd vote GTI here.

It's like a 10K premium on a GTI.

In the US, you only get the boring colours. In Canada, you can get a wide variety...35 to be exact.

VWVortex.com - 2018 Golf R Mk7.5 Colour "Booklet"

Was very tempted to order one in either Viper Green or 91 Blue. I don't like "ricer" aesthetics such as what you get on the STi or Type R, but a fancy colour is alright by me.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
i totally appreciate "fancy" colors and...gd i'd love a 911 in Miami blue...Um....But yeah that's a car that's going to stand out anyway. Like i said--totally appreciate them and were it not for my proclivity to speed then I'd tend to go for as bright a color as possible (like i wanted a VW Atlas in that yellow color--not much chance i'd be tearing it up in that). But yeah holy crap US market got the shaft color-wise. Cliff green. noice.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The Atlas is sort of a mustard yellow. It would stand out but not really you’re typical flashy colour.

A VW Canada exec said that it was essentially a reward for VW doing so well in Canada. VW has about double the market share in Canada as the US and it climbs every year. There was even talk about getting the VW midsized truck, the Amarok, which is the best selling truck in the UK.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
The Atlas is sort of a mustard yellow. It would stand out but not really you’re typical flashy colour.

A VW Canada exec said that it was essentially a reward for VW doing so well in Canada. VW has about double the market share in Canada as the US and it climbs every year. There was even talk about getting the VW midsized truck, the Amarok, which is the best selling truck in the UK.

I believe it. Lets see if that drives down cost to repair as it takes a bigger market share and certified mechanics become more commonplace. I suppose Canadian markets will get a wider selection of engine choices as well. :(

Still I like my car in its "give-up grey". really pretty decently mutes the salt scum build up on the daily drive too. i have the most boring a3 wheels on it for winter too so it really blends in.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I believe it. Lets see if that drives down cost to repair as it takes a bigger market share and certified mechanics become more commonplace. I suppose Canadian markets will get a wider selection of engine choices as well. :(

Still I like my car in its "give-up grey". really pretty decently mutes the salt scum build up on the daily drive too. i have the most boring a3 wheels on it for winter too so it really blends in.

Probably not. As long as suppliers are concentrated outside North America, prices will be high. I don't think Canada has any unique engine choices currently but transmission they do. Manuals are offered more extensively in Canada than the US, although I have heard that TDI is more likely to return in Canada than the US.

I don't mind grey, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. Just like silver, it gets too boring eventually. Audi does have nice grey's though, Nardo is a fantastic colour.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
ooo yeah coopers! only driven a really worn-in vanilla one and even that was fun. felt like a go-cart. really stiff ride. not fast, but quick enough in city driving and the ride made it feel faster.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Why no Golf R?

If you can find one with low mileage then you can't go wrong with a Mk6 Golf R! Incredible handing and raw a engagement that is unmatched! This beats corners like it is on rails thanks to its turbo 2.0 AWD engine. Plus these beats are tunable to extract the power from the factory settings. Even the MK6 GTI is a while lotta fun and if you throw in an APR stage 1 tune, you are pushing a true 250whp and 270tq at the wheels, not the crank!

Reactions: rynryn

member 157595

I currently have a WRX and was thinking about getting a used GTI or Golf R after the WRX. Starting to warm to the GTI (maybe with some aftermarket tuning afterwards) because the Golf R's are expensive even when used.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->