Thoughts On SinBin's Bonfire?

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
We haven't made anything official yet but we are in the planning stage of holding a bonfire in which everyone willing to participate comes down to wherever we have it (probably a firehouse) and throws in one piece of gear from their old team to become a bonafide Las Vegas supporter. SinBin will give you something for participating. A shirt or hat or pin or poster or something.

I just envision this huge fire with Sharks, Kings, Blackhawks, etc gear all going up in flames and I really hope we can make this a reality.

Would love to know what you guys think about the idea and if you have any suggestions.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
We haven't made anything official yet but we are in the planning stage of holding a bonfire in which everyone willing to participate comes down to wherever we have it (probably a firehouse) and throws in one piece of gear from their old team to become a bonafide Las Vegas supporter. SinBin will give you something for participating. A shirt or hat or pin or poster or something.

I just envision this huge fire with Sharks, Kings, Blackhawks, etc gear all going up in flames and I really hope we can make this a reality.

Would love to know what you guys think about the idea and if you have any suggestions.

To be honest, I find the idea offensive. Even if I moved to another city and totally embraced the team there, I would still never desecrate any piece of Jets gear I own. YMMV.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I made the decision to turn the page on 34 years of Blackhawks fandom (33 at the time) and move the Hawks down to Team 1B before I put down my deposit last February. I actually sat there and thought about it out prior to making the commitment. I will not wear Hawks stuff when the Hawks are in town and Vegas is my team.

I'll burn something if it comes down to it, it won't be anything fancy, but more a symbol of turning the page. The only motivation will be to encourage others to go full on Vegas and not wear their favorite team gear when they visit our team. If my ill-fitting Hawks hat with the sweat stains makes it into a fire, it's for other people, not myself.

However, my Hawks fandom has a big hole in it during the dark years so it might be easier for me. I went from going to the old Chicago Stadium as a kid to moving out of Chicagoland and trying (and failing) to follow the Hawks, to not giving a damn, to regaining interest after the Hawks took the president of the Cubs, and pretty much right to Stanley Cup wins. I realize my situation is different than most, thus the support of other people ceremonially turning the page on their old team in one way or the other.

Reactions: Bart9349

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
To be honest, I find the idea offensive. Even if I moved to another city and totally embraced the team there, I would still never desecrate any piece of Jets gear I own. YMMV.

So how do we get around this issue? I have a feeling the disreptful-ness is a bit more of a Canadian value than American (and specifically Vegas, hell we burn money basically), but I'd rather it be seen as fun and not mean.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
An idea: when the team gets its jerseys for 2017, have some local sporting goods place - or, better yet, the team themselves - have a "trade in" special. One old jersey for a new Knights/Whatever jersey.

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
An idea: when the team gets its jerseys for 2017, have some local sporting goods place - or, better yet, the team themselves - have a "trade in" special. One old jersey for a new Knights/Whatever jersey.

But then what are we going to burn?

I want fire!!!

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I would just buy Kings stuff and burn it because well I always want to burn Kings stuff!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
But then what are we going to burn?

I want fire!!!

How about having a bonfire but instead of throwing the gear into it, people put some nice article of team clothing (so, maybe not sweat-stained hats :)) into bins for donation to charity? You can still have a celebration and symbolic turning of the page, and also do something good for the community.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
OR, as an act of good will that shows all the Las Vegas fans as fine & charitable, 100's of quality jerseys are donated to the American Red Cross, for under privelleged people.

Get the media involved, take some photo's. I have 4 Paul Stastny Jersey's (Avs sweater) & a Varlamov I'd donate.

Give the new club some positive press for free (from the fans) - do your part :)

I'm an Aussie, so would have to mail them to one of you (maybe you Battleborn).

That's a win / win for everyone. I'd never give up my Roy jersey though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
OR, as an act of good will that shows all the Las Vegas fans as fine & charitable, 100's of quality jerseys are donated to the American Red Cross, for under privelleged people.

Get the media involved, take some photo's. I have 4 Paul Stastny Jersey's (Avs sweater) & a Varlamov I'd donate.

Give the new club some positive press for free (from the fans) - do your part :)

I'm an Aussie, so would have to mail them to one of you (maybe you Battleborn).

That's a win / win for everyone. I'd never give up my Roy jersey though.

This I can get behind.

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
This I can get behind.

Amazingly enough, that's almost exactly what the new plan is. From the comments we got on here and from a lot of others that I've discussed it with, people aren't so keen on the fire idea. Makes me sad, but the Goodwill drive is going to be better, I think we can all agree on this.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Amazingly enough, that's almost exactly what the new plan is. From the comments we got on here and from a lot of others that I've discussed it with, people aren't so keen on the fire idea. Makes me sad, but the Goodwill drive is going to be better, I think we can all agree on this.

I have no doubt that the bonfire would've been an epic sort of event. My issue is, almost all my Ducks memorabilia I own I'm very sentimental about. But I'd donate a jersey for charity.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

congrats on trying to disrespect ALL other fan bases--why not give all the GEAR to charity or finding other uses for em

Jun 6, 2016
I'd donate my Flyers jersey to charity.

Or somehow get the team involved to give like 25% or some other number off towards a Knights jersey when you donate an opposing jersey.

You're donating to charity, but also getting Vegas people to wear Vegas gear at games. Double Positive.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Arizona Coyotes did this last season - trade in your old team's jersey, get a new Coyotes jersey (for free if it's for your kids), and the old jerseys went to a charity that provides equipment for military folks. It was surprisingly popular and a good way to get adults to get their kids excited about the home team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad