Line Combos: Thoughts on McDavid-RNH?

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Just looking for some thoughts/analysis on RNH with McDavid. Haven't been watching lately but been waiting a long time to see Nuge get time with McDavid. Kept meaning to tune in, now times up.

Stats seem good but how have they been working together at EV, overall?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think the combo of RNH-McD is fantastic and made more effective with Rattie on RW, a cheap player with an offensive pedigree who can keep the play going and has a shot, who will get better defensively.

Back to RNH McD, the league isn't about LW C RW anymore but F1 F2 F3. A C just takes a faceoff, after that is all where a player is at the time. RNH is an excellent 200 foot player and allows McD room to pivot and build up speed, and of course can hit him on the tape on the fly, and catch up to the play. He can one time a shot in close and is a great competitor down low.

IMO we have found our LW for #97. 29 runs line 2, Strome runs line 3, and see where line 4 falls. If they can get a cheap veteran with some wheels left who can PK, we can move JJ up on the 3rd line wing as well.

Gives the team superb flexibility and depth down the middle as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Unless he is part of a deal for Karlsson or some other superior superstar player, I will be very upset if RNH is traded!

Agreed. Karlsson, OEL or keep him. Naturally we'd need to add to him to get one of those guys but dealing him for say Faulk would suck.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I still say that this duo needs a bigger RW that can shoot the puck. Hopefully Puljujarvi becomes said player.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I think it’s a bad idea, feeding into fan outcry for offense on the rush over playing a complete game. but no harm, the season is long over and we’re playing out the string.

But next year, we need a shooter for McDavid and Leon’s lines (Puljujarvi might be one, but make him earn that spot) and move Nuge back to his two way center role with some shutdown wingers. We let in way too many goals this year and need both an offensive and defensive focus next year to get back to and succeed in the postseason. Leaving defensive responsibilities for young, inexperienced and lesser forwards puts us right back where we are now.

Nuge will never be an 80 point scorer, he has more value in his defensive game and he can wheel with McDavid on the powerplay where we don’t have to worry as much about hanging the goalie out to dry.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Nice to see the board did a full 180 on RNH over the course of the year, there were a ton of people who wanted to trade him for Jarnkrok or Bjugstad in the summer, or basically any above average 3rd liner who was a bit cheaper cap wise.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Anyone have an Oilers record when Nuge was with Connor in the final run? I feel like they did great with them together and looked awful when Nuge was out for those couple games.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Anyone have an Oilers record when Nuge was with Connor in the final run? I feel like they did great with them together and looked awful when Nuge was out for those couple games.

I’m guessing but I’d say we were running about a .650 winning pct with RNH on McDavids LW.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nuge is arguably better than Leon on McDavids wing.

The slight edge to Nuge because Nuge gets to play on his natural side.

Both help McDavid with his defensive responsibilities. Both have the skills to compliment McDavid.

Leon slightly better as a center because of his size and awesome ability to distribute from his backhand.

Really hope all three of these players are Oilers for a long long time.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I was skeptical of it for sure, but that's no excuse for waiting three years to try it. The Rattie thing is just a bonus. Hopefully that line stays together to start next year because they were the only bright spot down the stretch and deserve a longer look.

Now just need a winger for Drai and we finally have four lines that are not a total embarrassment:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
?-Draisaitl-Aberg
Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Khaira-Kassian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad