Player Discussion Lars Eller

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Pens and Oilers beat us but for once all of the caps 4 centers are significantly above average (for typical 1C, 2C, 3C, 4C). Even Anaheim despite above average 1, 2 and 3C has Boll centering the 4th line

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Seven points in his last seven games and a +10 on what has arguably been their best line of late.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Seven points in his last seven games and a +10 on what has arguably been their best line of late.

Clarified it for you. This isn't some fluky hot streak nonsense like the Chimera-Johansson-Wilson line of last year, it's been domination of the puck. The sheer number of goals scored isn't likely sustainable but they should be able to continue being successful.

Apr 6, 2004
Clarified it for you. This isn't some fluky hot streak nonsense like the Chimera-Johansson-Wilson line of last year, it's been domination of the puck. The sheer number of goals scored isn't likely sustainable but they should be able to continue being successful.

Probably true to the extent at which they're producing now. That said, it will be CRITICAL for them (or whomever is on that line) to put the biscuits in the basket come playoff time. We need to maintain 5v5 production and a lot will be asked of the 3rd line and d-men.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It'll be important for them to score but if they can control possession it will at least stop the other team from scoring. It would have been nice if the HBK line didn't run wild over the Capitals last postseason, for instance.

Maurice Del Taco

Oct 13, 2015
Hi guys, habs fan here. Lars is an awesome player with tremendous attribute - I've always been a big fan. His main weaknesses are consistency and lack of finish. When he's on, he can outplay pretty much dominate any player in the league with his incredible amount of strength and speed - no joke. When I heard the trade at the draft I couldn't help but think that the "fit" was perfect. He would finally be in the right chair behind Backstrom and Kuznetov. If Kuznetzov can get rolling you guys will be pretty scary down the middle... As inconsistent as he's been during the regular season, he was consistently en one of our better players during the playoffs which is exactly what you guys need IMO. Hopefully you guys make it to the conference finals and lose to the allmighty habs hehehehe :naughty::naughty::naughty:

he was playing really well until Gryba blindsided him. That was such a nasty hit :rant:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Eller is a possession monster, that's why a lot of people liked him in MTL. Glad to see he's been getting points lately, I was surprised to see him not producing at all. Should be good for around 30 pts, maybe more if his line keeps it up.

He's never been as well surrounded while playing C than he is right now either.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Absolutely hated him at first but he's starting to grow on me. I still have reservations about our bottom six scoring come playoff time but not even convinced we should add O at the deadline anymore - which is new territory for me since the last two deadlines I was literally kicking and screaming when we essentially tinkered/stood pat ...

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Absolutely hated him at first but he's starting to grow on me. I still have reservations about our bottom six scoring come playoff time but not even convinced we should add O at the deadline anymore - which is new territory for me since the last two deadlines I was literally kicking and screaming when we essentially tinkered/stood pat ...

in the Montreal time, Eller always went up a gear or two when it was time for playoffs. Lets see if the trend continues in Washington.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Is it true that Eller is 2C now? If so, is it just temporary to cover an injury or something?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Eller has changed the complexion of this team and our 3rd line went from a liability to our top possession line.

The guy is simply a monster on the puck. Why Montreal decided he wasn't good enough for them is beyond me. Me and my buddy always thought he was noticeable when we played against that team.

His acquisition slotted Beagle perfectly and has allowed us to roll 4 lines regardless of the situation or opponent.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Eller has changed the complexion of this team and our 3rd line went from a liability to our top possession line.

The guy is simply a monster on the puck. Why Montreal decided he wasn't good enough for them is beyond me. Me and my buddy always thought he was noticeable when we played against that team.

His acquisition slotted Beagle perfectly and has allowed us to roll 4 lines regardless of the situation or opponent.

Eller may be dependent on the proper fit with wingers. He's doing great with two 1st round picks right now, after all. Perhaps he just loses a lot of effectiveness with typical 3rd line plugs...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Art - I think that can be said of most players.

I think Lars's's game perked up when Barry made system changes, versus, finally getting him the proper linemates. He can do a little bit of everything well, so he will mesh with about anyone.

Our early season system was clearly one that few were excelling in. Don't hit, wear out defensmen.... who is going to look good doing that? Ovi, Nick, Oshie and MJ did ok... and the rest not much at all.

Barry made the changes, and Lars and countless others now are a formidable group. When I say formidable group, I mean a 1980s grade Oiler scoring machine.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Eller may be dependent on the proper fit with wingers. He's doing great with two 1st round picks right now, after all. Perhaps he just loses a lot of effectiveness with typical 3rd line plugs...

Well lets not forget the Eller was a 1st rounder himself...in fact our ENTIRE top 9 are 1st rounders I believe (10 of our 12 forwards and 4 of our 6 dmen are too)

I don't know who his most common linemates were in Montreal but that coach over there has a history of stifling creativity.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
All things equal, why not target and horde firsts.... and then let the thoroughbreds run!

Who is a comparable to Eller? Former Cap if possible... Kono?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
All things equal, why not target and horde firsts.... and then let the thoroughbreds run!

Who is a comparable to Eller? Former Cap if possible... Kono?

Kono wasn't as smooth nor the stickhandler Eller is.

Strength and stickhandling (and two way play) he reminds me of a less skilled Gustafsson.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kono wasn't as smooth nor the stickhandler Eller is.

Strength and stickhandling (and two way play) he reminds me of a less skilled Gustafsson.

I have to watch the stick handling more. Gus is a high complement there. Gus had hidden strength .... but rarely used it for more than skating, but when he did, he caught people good.

Eller is obviously more physical, and I consider Gus to be very much sweDISH, always looking to pass first.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Clearly Gustafsson was more skilled.

But man Eller is an excellent stickhandler and puck protector through the neutral zone and along the boards. Just like Gustafsson was.

When Begnt decided to hit man he could hit hard and you could feel it through the TV. During national broadcasts (Doc and Clemente Hands of Cement) Bill would always be good for a Begnt underrated hardest hitter comment.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

It's beyond a lot of us believe me. He's the type of player we need more of, not less.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am glad this move panned out. I was worried for a while there, as I didn't know much about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad