Player Discussion Lars Eller

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
What makes you think that?

Expansion. Teams are going to be putting up players they fear of losing up for trade. Why hold on to someone and get nothing when you can get something?

Also, a lot of teams look like they'll be out by deadline with the trend that is going. Past couple years so many teams near deadline still had a chance to make playoffs so didn't make moves.

Expansion is huge. #3 and #4 D guys and top 9 forward players (teams can only protect 3 D and 7 F) will be very available in a month or two. Teams aren't going to want to lose some of these good players to Vegas for nothing when they could get soemething.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Teams aren't going to simply trade away all their expendable assets for cheap. Every team is going to lose a player in expansion, no matter who they trade. When they trade a guy for cheap, they end up losing two players, instead of just one.

There are going to be a couple specific exceptions surrounding goaltenders (Fleury/Bishop) and teams trying to move guys with No Movement Clauses. But that's it. And we've already seen NMCs suppress trade value in prior seasons, so this won't be all that different.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Teams aren't going to simply trade away all their expendable assets for cheap. Every team is going to lose a player in expansion, no matter who they trade. When they trade a guy for cheap, they end up losing two players, instead of just one.

There are going to be a couple specific exceptions surrounding goaltenders (Fleury/Bishop) and teams trying to move guys with No Movement Clauses. But that's it. And we've already seen NMCs suppress trade value in prior seasons, so this won't be all that different.

Yeah but a player they lose they may not care about.

For example, let's say caps were out of playoff position and we protect Alzner, Carlson, and Nisky - and you know Orlov is going to be taken because he's the obvious choice. Would you just let Orlov get picked up by Vegas - or try to get some value back like a 1st rd pick or 2nd rd pick maybe? Then the player you're losing for nothing to Vegas is someone like Schmidt maybe which is not nearly as big a deal as losing Orlov for nothing.

Plus, not all teams will lose someone. Some teams won't have players picked.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
All 30 teams will have someone picked by Vegas. Some of those players will end up as McPhee's trade fodder or in Vegas' AHL affiliate once the season starts.

Next off, think your example through to completion. Instead of just losing Orlov, they end up losing Orlov AND Schmidt, and get nothing but a 2nd round pick in return. That's awful. If it's a "buyer's market," you're not going to get good value on the assets you're peddling away. This is doubly true when you consider that most other teams aren't going to have the space to protect additional defensemen.

There's going to be a few notable exceptions where teams struggle to move a NMC player in order to free up a protection slot they can use on someone else (say the Rangers trying to peddle Girardi or Staal, for instance). But otherwise teams are going to realize that they're going to lose someone they want to keep, and instead of playing into a "buyer's market" where they end up losing two players, they'll settle for losing one.

[An aside regarding Caps specifics in your post]
There are numerous other ways they can avoid the scenario you described. If they aren't liking the direction of Alzner's contract negotiations, they can expose him. Depending on what happens in the goaltender market, there's a real chance that Grubauer ends up as one of the three more attractive exposed goalies (unless Pittsburgh fails to move Fleury, and has to expose Murray as a result or McPhee negotiates a deal with UFA Bishop). Both of those could prevent an Orlov selection without resorting to trading Orlov.

Additionally, I disagree regarding your assessment of Schmidt being a player not worth caring about.

Last edited:

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
after a bad start offensively (4 pts in 29 games) it seems like he's starting to put points on the board.

6 pts in his last 5 games. (9 pts in his last 15 games)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
after a bad start offensively (4 pts in 29 games) it seems like he's starting to put points on the board.

6 pts in his last 5 games. (9 pts in his last 15 games)

Its not even the points. He absolutely drives play and has been the biggest difference maker on this team between last years version and this.

He can play in any situation against any opponent. His stick handling and skating are excellent and its almost impossible to get the puck away from him.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
Its not even the points. He absolutely drives play and has been the biggest difference maker on this team between last years version and this.

He can play in any situation against any opponent. His stick handling and skating are excellent and its almost impossible to get the puck away from him.

yeah, it was GMBM's biggest mistake to rely on Mike Richards. That mistake killed us. If he could have got Eller last year instead of MR...:cry:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
yeah, it was GMBM's biggest mistake to rely on Mike Richards. That mistake killed us. If he could have got Eller last year instead of MR...:cry:

Trades like that are definitely more doable in the offseason. The cap gymnastics plus the inflated costs at the TDL really do make it tough.

At the time Richards was a good cheap gamble. It didn't work out unfortunately.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The bigger mistake?

Barry promoting Richards to our 3rd line for the playoffs. Anyone ever ask him, what was he thinking?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The bigger mistake?

Barry promoting Richards to our 3rd line for the playoffs. Anyone ever ask him, what was he thinking?

Seemed like Beagle and Richards got about the same amount of TOI to me.

But it wasn't all them either. Chimera was brutal especially (he was never a good possession player or great in his own zone but his offense was MIA)

Eller not only is an excellent fit at 3C but he properly moves Beagle to 4C where he is much better. Connolly is an upgrade over Chimera as well and Winnik looks like he settled in. Wilson has improved defensively too.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

He's an absolute tank. He probably finished 1st for the physical test before the season.

231becdec3f8afa0acf8fb0fd80b738371d977f5.jpg

Eller, Prust, Armstrong, Price, Yoga teacher, Price and Moen

Eller looks so big. He'll play his best hockey in playoffs for you.

I would take him back instead of this Shaw guy...

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
After the MTL game (the last one), the guys from RDS were mocking him, because he was the only player on the Caps team with a minus (+/-) -1. Now he's +7. I'm waiting for the next game against MTL and their show "l'antichambre" :laugh:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Seemed like Beagle and Richards got about the same amount of TOI to me.

Beagle should have had much more IMO. But TOI isnt everything. Line construction is important, and usage. Richards had not been a 3C all year. That reeked of Barry using 3 as a shutdown line since Richards couldn't score at all. Only, he went power vs power, predictably.

234&D less Carlson couldn't score. It was more than just Chimera, who I don't think hadn't played with Richards much at all.

Back OT, Eller looks like a stud lately, and a full on hulk in that picture :yo:

One may even say, a Great Dane.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No doubt he's jacked.

Probably eats rocks, nails and adult crocodiles as part of his diet.

I can see why fans of other teams get frustrated with him as he does everything right but put up the points to match. But if you take him for what he is you realize he's a very valuable player.

His style of play and strength on the puck would seem to translate well for playoffs.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He's an absolute tank. He probably finished 1st for the physical test before the season.

231becdec3f8afa0acf8fb0fd80b738371d977f5.jpg

Eller, Prust, Armstrong, Price, Yoga teacher, Price and Moen

Eller looks so big. He'll play his best hockey in playoffs for you.

I would take him back instead of this Shaw guy...

How has Shaw been for you guys?

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Came in here to say something nice about Larry but now I totally forgot what it was supposed to be. :naughty::naughty::naughty:

He had me worried in the beginning of the season though, I wont lie.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
How has Shaw been for you guys?

He plays on the PP for no reason. Eller never had that chance.

Id summarize his season in one game he recently played on january 14th.

After being out 1 month with a concussion a goal was disallowed because Shaw made goalie interference. Later he got a penalty for interference and the Rangers scored on that PP. He was also ejected in the 1st period for a blindside hit on Jesper Fast.

It wouldnt be so bad if he hadnt give up 2 x 2nd pick for him and sign him for 6 years/23.4M....

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Love Eller. Keeps things simple, rarely makes bad mistakes, retains the puck wonderfully and actually has cute hands if you watch him. Kills penalties and does the dirty things other guys don't want to. Any points he can generate is a bonus.

Bakstrom, Kuznetsov, Eller, Beagle... best centre spine in the league overall IMO.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Hi guys, habs fan here. Lars is an awesome player with tremendous attribute - I've always been a big fan. His main weaknesses are consistency and lack of finish. When he's on, he can outplay pretty much dominate any player in the league with his incredible amount of strength and speed - no joke. When I heard the trade at the draft I couldn't help but think that the "fit" was perfect. He would finally be in the right chair behind Backstrom and Kuznetov. If Kuznetzov can get rolling you guys will be pretty scary down the middle... As inconsistent as he's been during the regular season, he was consistently en one of our better players during the playoffs which is exactly what you guys need IMO. Hopefully you guys make it to the conference finals and lose to the allmighty habs hehehehe :naughty::naughty::naughty:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kuzy is rolling. 18pts in his last 15 by my count. With Connolly and Burakovsky finishing Eller as a possession player look better all the time

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Kuzy is rolling. 18pts in his last 15 by my count. With Connolly and Burakovsky finishing Eller as a possession player look better all the time

Wasn't aware of his streak. IMO Caps and Pens have best center depth in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad