Thoughts on Adrian Kempe

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He's slow and has terrible hands.;)

He primarily has been on the 3rd line, but saw some time on the 2nd last game. Wouldn't surprise me to see his ice time increase and play an expanded role. Other teams have problems with his speed.

Reactions: KingTrouty
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Season high ice time of 15:15 last game, with the 31.3 shooting percentage on the season. After his 3 goal game against Montreal Kempe saw NO PP ice time for the next 2 games, which is ridiculous. Played 1:28 PP against Ottawa. Only averaging :24 seconds of PP ice time on the season, that needs to increase with Carter out.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Kempe is life. Haven't seen anyone on the Kings fly around the ice like him since Pearson. When Kempe picks up the puck in the neutral zone, I sit up and pay attention. Reminds me of when Kopitar's jersey starts flapping when he's got the puck at top speed. I think, "better back up, fools."

You should get that pink eye looked at by a doctor, Eye of Ra.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
giphy.gif

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
Looking at his minor league numbers, i thought he would be at least another Trevor Lewis type forward. But he shows flashes of turning into Alexi Kovalev.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
What I wrote years ago was that Kempe seemed to play his best when the games were biggest...the WJC, in which he was as good as Nylander that year...and then came over to
Manchester for the AHL playoffs and had 8 goals in the AHL playoffs as an 18 year old. I was hoping when he got his chance (and not some 12 games under Sutter) and\given the
chance to get top 6 time with top talent, he may just excel. He is, beyond everyone's expectations...SO GLAD he was not dealt last year in some package deal.

ALSO - Totally CRAZY, that our top 2014 and 2016 picks are blowing up (for the first time, really) the same week! Kempe and Clague. Clague has 2 hat tricks in the first
11 games and in 11 games has 10 goals and 14 assists for 24 points in 11 games! Unreal. You could say Clague began to shine in last year's WJC for Canada...but he's outta control.

A year ago, it seemed like Amadio was the top young forward...or Brodzinski. They still well could emerge....but now look at Kempe, Vilardi and Jaret Anderson-Dolan...
pretty good stable of talent.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
What I find the best about his streak is I believe all his points this year have been at even strength. Quite impressive.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kale Clague still sounds like something you drink to do a cleanse. The Kings need him to be good and get to the NHL on a cheap contract by the 2019-20 season, so they can dump a vet and pay Doughty.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kale Clague still sounds like something you drink to do a cleanse. The Kings need him to be good and get to the NHL on a cheap contract by the 2019-20 season, so they can dump a vet and pay Doughty.
Luckily our pipeline seems to be ahead of schedules after near depletion...
27YO-Doughty.. getting big monies
25YO-Forbort.. extended for 2 more seasons
28YO-Muzzin.. trade bait
30YO-Martinez.. Trade bait
26YO-Fantenberg.. UFA but he needs to be resigned
26YO-Frolin.. UFA, solid 6th/7th player
23YO-MacDermid.. RFA/UFA??, minimum contract resigned
25YO-LaDue.. RFA/UFA??, showing the goods in Ontario despite the teams poor play
25YO-Gravel.. RFA/UFA??, ^^^^
19YO-Clague.. putting up video game numbers but thankfully has 2ish more season to improve defensively before he's needed...
18YO-Anderson.. off to a good start at U-MD
18YO-Phillips.. on pace for 50 pts in the OHL
plus whoever we draft the next 2 seasons.... That Lucic trade still stings tho, we could have had a shot at Hanifin, Provorov or Werenski...

Reactions: BallPointHammer

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Luckily our pipeline seems to be ahead of schedules after near depletion...
27YO-Doughty.. getting big monies
25YO-Forbort.. extended for 2 more seasons
28YO-Muzzin.. trade bait
30YO-Martinez.. Trade bait
26YO-Fantenberg.. UFA but he needs to be resigned
26YO-Frolin.. UFA, solid 6th/7th player
23YO-MacDermid.. RFA/UFA??, minimum contract resigned
25YO-LaDue.. RFA/UFA??, showing the goods in Ontario despite the teams poor play
25YO-Gravel.. RFA/UFA??, ^^^^
19YO-Clague.. putting up video game numbers but thankfully has 2ish more season to improve defensively before he's needed...
18YO-Anderson.. off to a good start at U-MD
18YO-Phillips.. on pace for 50 pts in the OHL
plus whoever we draft the next 2 seasons.... That Lucic trade still stings tho, we could have had a shot at Hanifin, Provorov or Werenski...

Pretty sure Fantenberg is an RFA, he's on an ELC.

Muzzin/Martinez wont be traded unless a young guy majorly steps up. Guys who are solid defensively that can put up 30-40 points cost far more than the $4M they are getting paid right now. It's going to take something like Voynov did in the AHL (50+ points) to get the team to trade one of those two given the value of their contracts.. LaDue isn't there yet, he got outplayed by most everyone in camp. Gravel is still recovering because he's been terrible.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
What has happened to Kempe over the last month or so? Why is he still not getting time on the PP? I would have thought after his hot start that he would progressively get more opportunity. But they seem to be holding him back for some reason. If this guy got minutes on the PP2 I would imagine he would have at least 5 more points if not more. Also feel like he could get time on one of the top 2 lines. But with Carter still out this seems like it should have been the time to see what else he can do.

A lot of folks thinking his start to the season was an aberration and that he won't amount to anything more than a 45 point 3C. A month ago I would have swore he was destined to at least be a 2C, or 2LW with an upside of 60 to 65 points in his prime.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I’m sorry, who are you exactly? With your wild prognostications of talent and your even wilder assessments of normal production?

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I’m sorry, who are you exactly? With your wild prognostications of talent and your even wilder assessments of normal production?

It is a fantasy hockey question just as when most people who aren't here most of the time come in asking for updates. There is a reason why Bandit has that signature.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
amazing so far in wch. great skills, super fast and works really hard. not sure why you guys are trying to force him into a bottom 6 c, he is a legit top 6 talent. he can be as good as rakell and zibanejad.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
For a top 6 player you would expect he could score more than 0 goals in his last 30 games or so.

That said, I agree. Weird enough people thought he would do better with NHL talent than what he was showing in the AHL. Exactly that is what happened.

That might be the case now as well. Too many times he was working his ass off before that line even entered the offensive zone. When they did, it was time for a line change again.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
amazing so far in wch. great skills, super fast and works really hard. not sure why you guys are trying to force him into a bottom 6 c, he is a legit top 6 talent. he can be as good as rakell and zibanejad.

Has he primarily been used as a winger or center at the WC tournament?

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Kempe needs to be on a line with a player that is good at getting garbage goals in front of the net. Kempe's skill is getting the puck with speed and bulldozing right down the center of the ice to the goal. He is not a passer; his first instinct is to get in and get a shot. If Kempe had a physical power forward that has a knack for going to the net and popping in rebounds and scoring off of a save from Kempe's shot, that line will be successful. I am thinking a Luc Robitaille type, which the Kings don't have.

The closest to Luc with respect to that type of skill set is Brown and Pearson (at least this year). It would be good to consistently keep Pearson and Kempe together next year. I would prefer to keep Brown with Kopitar. Ideally, if we got a 3C in the off season, we could keep Kempe and Pearson on the wing. Maybe Amadio can fit that role, Pearson-Amadio-Kempe.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
For a top 6 player you would expect he could score more than 0 goals in his last 30 games or so.

That said, I agree. Weird enough people thought he would do better with NHL talent than what he was showing in the AHL. Exactly that is what happened.

That might be the case now as well. Too many times he was working his ass off before that line even entered the offensive zone. When they did, it was time for a line change again.

Maybe if Stevens deployed him properly around Carter's return that wouldn't have been an issue.

Kempe was easily the most mismanaged player this year.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
He's still young but he can't be as streaky as he was this year.

33 games without a goal is simply unacceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad