those Oakley dark visors a la Ovechkin

bigdeal44

Dec 11, 2005
I have both the tinted and the mirrored visor. Havent been targeted yet but a lot of guys ask where I got them. I dont like the bright lights of some of the rinks around here so it actually has a use besides looks.

KariyaIsGod*

Joe Cole said:
Funny how guys with stupid visors and fruity colored laces become targets, eh?

I know I make it a point to play them extra tight, and not give them an inch of free ice.

I played against one guy with a pink visor and matching laces. He even did a whole Selanne thing when he scored. One of our defencemen linbed him up nicely on the next shift. He was invisble after that.

Unless you love getting your @ss handed to you, stick to CCM and Bauer. That seems to be the rule.

That's why they're great. Guys who tihnk they're tough make you a target and then you get a chance to take em' out...

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
KariyaIsGod said:
That's why they're great. Guys who tihnk they're tough make you a target and then you get a chance to take em' out...

Yup, get them to focus on something other then the play. ;)

I love the ironry in this seeing how CCM is owned by Reebok and Bauer is owned by Nike. Both of which make gear that would place the proverbial target on you.

I remember when I had Nike skates....no not the white ones. Guys would look at them turn up their nose then ask if I liked them.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
ArchieIsGod said:
funny thing is that people will play someone extra tight just because of their equipment...hey atleast that means im getting people's best everytime...more fun for me :D

Or less. Depends on who has the edge.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
KariyaIsGod said:

? Sometimes guys who think they are tough, are tough. Why not just play your game.

A flashy visor is the equivalent to a lowered Honda Civic, all show, no go.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Joe Cole said:
? Sometimes guys who think they are tough, are tough. Why not just play your game.

I'm sure Ovechkin disagrees since he wears one and has both show and a crap load of go. :D

Honetly I think the whole thing is a riot. CCM and Bauer are owned by Nike Reebok. Both of which make plenty of flashy gear.

It doesn't bother me either way. I could care less what people wear. I'm sure guys were saying the same thing about shields when they first came out. I'm guessing helmets too.

Last edited:

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I have a mirrored one, and it greatly cuts down the glare of the lights off the ice for me. I have pretty bad eyesight, and our rink has a strong glare so it really helps me by not having to squint constantly and with headaches.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I def have had quite a few players take runs at me and througout the game give me a bunch of ****! and thats game in and game out....but after the game i just tell them to check out the score sheet 9 times out of 10 im on it! and that always pisses them off then the next game the guy takes a run at me and either gets ejected or a pen and then hey PP for us! my team loves me for putting it on they joke about it in the locker room.
ALL IN ALL I LOVE THE MIRROR SHIELD its awesome!

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Habs Man said:
Hey Guys... I work over at Oakley, and although The Hockey Company (CCM, Itech, Jofa, RBK) is the sole distributor of our visors now, Oakley makes them.

The visor that Ovechkin wore in the Montreal game was a Black Iridium Visor, made by Oakley of course and exclusive to Ovechkin. The "Iridium" is the mirror coating that goes on the visor to give it that reflective/mirror look. Ovechkin usually wears a 20% grey visor, which has no mirror coating on it all. Eric Weinrich wears a H.I. (High Intensity) Yellow visor when he plays.

The visors can mount on any helmet type regardless of brand, and offer not only the best optical quality in the industry, but exceed ANSI Z87.1 standards for high velocity and high mass impact. http://oakley.ca/technology/impact_protection/

Thought you guys might liek to know!

So, you work for Oakley. You could then perhaps tell me why they decided to make the sunglasses so small that they don`t fit on a normal head anymore? :) I really wonder why.

KariyaIsGod*

Joe Cole said:

The visor doesn't make the player. Guys who wear these visors can often "go"...

tokes

Apr 7, 2006
Joe Cole said:

So why not just play your game instead of trying to run someone because of their equipment?

And ever think some people wear tinted visors and the like because of problems with their eyesight? I have glaucoma and sensitive eyes, and with a clear visor or a cage I get savage headaches. Go tear up your beer league Joe, I bet you're an animal to anybody who has a stealth or some nice skates.

MiZZZike*

I don't see a need for visors, either wear a cage or nothing at all.

Evil Ted

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They do make you a target those visors, but they shouldn't. Its sad when the equipment you wear on the ice makes you a target, hockey is a game that is supposed to be fun, and unless you play it as a job the rink should be a friendly place to go too.

My brother owns a pair of nike hockey skates ala federov and hes had them for about 5 years now they are pretty much destroyed. The reason he got them is because they were originally 500$ skates but since they were white and people thought hey were ugly he got them for around 200$. It was a great deal thats why he purchased them.

People should be judged by there conduct rather then what there eqiupment looks like on the ice. I think those visors are kind of cool but i perfer the safety of a cage.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
MiZZZike said:
I don't see a need for visors, either wear a cage or nothing at all.

for whatever reason i never liked wearing a full cage...and i just wore the visor never for ever real reason other than style but then i took a clearing attempt to the visor and it cracked so i think ill stick with a visor...plus you can never really trust some people, not all of their shots are meant for the goal

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma
Joe Cole said:
Funny how guys with stupid visors and fruity colored laces become targets, eh?

I know I make it a point to play them extra tight, and not give them an inch of free ice.

I played against one guy with a pink visor and matching laces. He even did a whole Selanne thing when he scored. One of our defencemen linbed him up nicely on the next shift. He was invisble after that.

Unless you love getting your @ss handed to you, stick to CCM and Bauer. That seems to be the rule.

Bought a mirrored visor about 6 months ago, I love it when tough guys take runs at me for wearing it.Never happened before i started wearing it either at least in beer leagues so its obvious its because of the Shield.. Been in 3 fights since I got it never been in a beer league fight before ,no need in beer leagues its just for fun and exercise(in juniors i fought all the time though), all 3 ended in W for me via KO, Ive been training Muay Thai for the last 6 years and thats usually a reason i wont dropem but every single one of these tough guys deserved it for running me over a piece of equipment..

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
tokes said:
And ever think some people wear tinted visors and the like because of problems with their eyesight? I have glaucoma and sensitive eyes, and with a clear visor or a cage I get savage headaches. QUOTE]

Honestly, never thought of that. My bad.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
tokes said:
And ever think some people wear tinted visors and the like because of problems with their eyesight? I have glaucoma and sensitive eyes, and with a clear visor or a cage I get savage headaches. QUOTE]

Honestly, never thought of that. My bad.

As for the general comment about being a target, it just is that way.

And in reality, I personally only target guys who lay it on too thick and show up the other team with classless gestures. Even if I guy like that was on my team, I would tell him to tone it down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad