Player Discussion Thomas Vanek

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
1011-canucks-sens-6-jpg.jpg

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
A couple right place right times for Vanek. Nice screen for the Tanev goal. I thought his first went off an aottawa leg or skate, so nice bounce.

Need to see more from him tho.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I love Vanek, he's been one of my favorite players since his elite days. I love the way he plays in the offensive zone. I am completely stoked he's on the team even though I don't really understand the signing.

The lack of respect he got this off-season was baffling to me. The guy is still a premiere powerplay player and consistent top end offensive player who has a gift for making elite players better. I have no idea why he fell to us or why he isn't locked up long-term somewhere. His best days are definitely behind him but even here I think he's doing a fabulous job complimenting who he plays and doing his thing in the offensive zone.

Reactions: AlexEdler23

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I love Vanek, he's been one of my favorite players since his elite days. I love the way he plays in the offensive zone. I am completely stoked he's on the team even though I don't really understand the signing.

The lack of respect he got this off-season was baffling to me. The guy is still a premiere powerplay player and consistent top end offensive player who has a gift for making elite players better. I have no idea why he fell to us or why he isn't locked up long-term somewhere. His best days are definitely behind him but even here I think he's doing a fabulous job complimenting who he plays and doing his thing in the offensive zone.

Vaneks lack of respect is self made, his reputation for being lazy has been around since his Buffalo days. There's also plenty of other reasons he's not locked up somewhere. He's a passenger, he needs linemates to draw defenders away and to set him up. Last year among NHL regulars only Riberio started more shifts in the o-zone. It's the kind of deployment that maximizes his offense but I'd rather see a young guy in that role. He also struggles defensively usually giving up more than he creates.

He is still elite in front of the net, has a great stick, great at powerplay and shootout but is really the kind of player a contending team would use in specialized deployment, not us. These minutes should be going to Boeser/Virts/Goldy, not a 33 year old. I think most people would have been fine with 1 of Gagner or Vanek, not both. At this rate I'd be happy with Vanek only since it's just a 1 year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Vanek's value decreased mainly because he has proven that he is not a plug and play type player especially in the playoffs. That limits his desirability for a playoff team. The other stuff of course is not in dispute except I think he has become underrated as a playmaker.

The whole driver vs passenger thing has become overrated IMO. The difference between Mogilny having a upper level playmaking C and not having one is 20+ goals.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Vanek's value decreased mainly because he has proven that he is not a plug and play type player especially in the playoffs. That limits his desirability for a playoff team. The other stuff of course is not in dispute except I think he has become underrated as a playmaker.

The whole driver vs passenger thing has become overrated IMO. The difference between Mogilny having a upper level playmaking C and not having one is 20+ goals.

Even if you think the driver vs passenger thing is overrated I think we can agree that the given the state of the team the passenger should be a developing player not a retread.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I agree with you. I've been saying all along I don't understand this signing. But I like watching him play. However I would argue Gagner was an even more pointless signing although his signing has mitigated the uselessness of Sutter pretty well.

IKEA

May 31, 2010
SE
I agree with you. I've been saying all along I don't understand this signing. But I like watching him play. However I would argue Gagner was an even more pointless signing although his signing has mitigated the uselessness of Sutter pretty well.

I agree, I would have just gone after Vanek over Gagner in the first place; however probably his interest was first elsewhere. Gagner may have been an insurance like figure, especially with the uncertainty over Henrik in the future. Yet I would have gone over a more capable 2nd line centre when Henrik would actually hang them up.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Even if you think the driver vs passenger thing is overrated I think we can agree that the given the state of the team the passenger should be a developing player not a retread.

Ya if I was Benning I wouldn't have signed Vanek. I see this as a make the playoffs move.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
You guys are so glum. If Vanek scores 60 points this year, the next excuse will be that it's a contract year. Yawn.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Vaneks lack of respect is self made, his reputation for being lazy has been around since his Buffalo days. There's also plenty of other reasons he's not locked up somewhere. He's a passenger, he needs linemates to draw defenders away and to set him up. Last year among NHL regulars only Riberio started more shifts in the o-zone. It's the kind of deployment that maximizes his offense but I'd rather see a young guy in that role. He also struggles defensively usually giving up more than he creates.

He is still elite in front of the net, has a great stick, great at powerplay and shootout but is really the kind of player a contending team would use in specialized deployment, not us. These minutes should be going to Boeser/Virts/Goldy, not a 33 year old. I think most people would have been fine with 1 of Gagner or Vanek, not both. At this rate I'd be happy with Vanek only since it's just a 1 year.

To further your reply to the OP,

You have to think of a team as an ecosystem, every new organism you introduce brings ant-bodies and bacteria, both of which are contagious. You have to bring in the right antibodies to cure any infections but you also need to only bring in bacteria you already have the antibodies to cure.

Vanek can, with help can contribute offence (antibody) but he also brings lazy, half-a$$ed "Meh...I don't care either way" bacteria.

That is one of the more feared diseases in the NHL, people want to keep it as far away from their teams as possible.

He was a bad choice to bring here, for Boesser to have to watch his ice time taken by a player who didn't earn it, doesn't appreciate it, and plays in a manner that makes it clear he isn't trying hard to keep it is going to lead to resentment,

And Boesser would be 100% justified in thinking something isn't right here,

Neither Vanek, nor Errikson, or even Gagner deserves to be above Boesser on the depth chart, yet he sits, As an American college player, I don't know why he didn't finish his degree then sign wherever he wanted for mega bucks, I'm thinking he may regret trusting the Canucks at this point. and be looking forward to finding a way out

And there is no better symbol for that resentment and distrust than Vanek and his s**t eating grin.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Best case scenario for Vanek is that he pumps up his goal-totals with the Sedins and on the pp, and Jimbo then flips him at the deadline for a nice package of assets......some posters were wondering why this guy went almost to the opening NHL training camps before landing a contract.

But does anyone really think that the Canucks were his first choice of teams to go to?......sure the guy has some chops in the offensive zone but his skating and defensive intensity are frankly flat-out bad, and that probably scared off a lot of teams.....and I'm praying that he pays off for the Canucks at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Best case scenario for Vanek is that he pumps up his goal-totals with the Sedins and on the pp, and Jimbo then flips him at the deadline for a nice package of assets......some posters were wondering why this guy went almost to the opening NHL training camps before landing a contract.

But does anyone really think that the Canucks were his first choice of teams to go to?......sure the guy has some chops in the offensive zone but his skating and defensive intensity are frankly flat-out bad, and that probably scared off a lot of teams.....and I'm praying that he pays off for the Canucks at the trade deadline.

Yeah that would be ideal. His play hasnt been bad really either. Thought he was ok in the last game. Keep that up and even be invisible for a while but as long as he packs in the pts we should get at minimum a 3rd round pick. And who knows maybe teams will be more desperate for offence this year who knows

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
I don't get excited when 33 year old players score goals on a non-playoff bound team.

Normally, I would agree with you.
But after a season with a terrible, bad-coached offense built with a lot of AHLers, please, let me allow to be happy with a skilled player even if we're not a playoff team even if he's not in his prime anymore.

I'm a Tankwagoner, I want Dahlin badly.. but I have to watch this hockey team 82 times this season so I don't want to see anymore what I've seen in the last two years.

If he get us a pick, that will be a good thing.

Last edited:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
We need him to have a decent year so we can flip him for something at the trade deadline.

Exactly - that's the biggest difference between Vanek and Eriksson. Vanek can conceivably be traded at the TDL, so it makes sense to play Vanek in offensive situations and offensive players. Eriksson looks to be done as an offensive player. If he is going to rebound or salvage his career, he's going to have to do it with reduced ice time and reduced roles because there is no point in force feeding him minutes. He can't be traded.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Vanek comes pretty much as advertised.....will drive you crazy on one shift and then come out for the next one and set up a dangerous chance or pot a goal.....but I wonder how he's going to be affected by the travel as the season grinds on....much of his career has been spent in the Eastern Conference, with only a couple of seasons in Minny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad