Thomas Pock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Hey all, I was just wondering what everyone thought of Thomas Pock at the moment. In 03'04 he played 6 games and tallied 4 points in the NHL...currently in the AHL (Wolf Pack) he has 27 points (6-21) in 32 games. He is (I believe) 2nd on the team in scoring and he is a defenseman.

Anyone know how he has been? what his weaknesses are? Do you think he could put up an ok amount of points in the NHL or he just capable of doing it in the AHL..

Thanks for any insight :bow:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i think opinions are somewhat mixed...some think he can't translate that to the NHL and is deficient on defense. others think he could have the ability to be a second tier offensive defenseman who is decent in his own zone. he'll never be a great defensive guy but i think he has the drive to do ok. personally i think he could pan out to be what i said...second tier offensive guy who's decent in his own end (but yeah is gonna get outmuscled sometimes, get beat sometimes, etc...but not liability in general)

i think he'll be given a shot sometime this year by the rangers and we'll see what he can do. it's great that he's doing so well this year in the AHL, last year was a rough one for him. lots of injuries and didn't score much...wasn't used in an offensive roll by the pack coach that year

joe blow

Oct 31, 2002
Visit site
I certainly think he could make the NHL in due time. He has a pretty good overall skill set, maybe he can be used for his offensive upside. I was surprised to see him in the pro ranks as a defenceman. I played against him in 1994 when he represented Austria at the Quebec Pee-Wee International Tournament. He was quite impressive, he scored 4 goals and his team beat us 5-1. I know, it was pee-wee hockey, but man did he have some slick puck skills.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Levitate said:
i think opinions are somewhat mixed...some think he can't translate that to the NHL and is deficient on defense. others think he could have the ability to be a second tier offensive defenseman who is decent in his own zone. he'll never be a great defensive guy but i think he has the drive to do ok. personally i think he could pan out to be what i said...second tier offensive guy who's decent in his own end (but yeah is gonna get outmuscled sometimes, get beat sometimes, etc...but not liability in general)

i think he'll be given a shot sometime this year by the rangers and we'll see what he can do. it's great that he's doing so well this year in the AHL, last year was a rough one for him. lots of injuries and didn't score much...wasn't used in an offensive roll by the pack coach that year

Thanks for the info :) So...2nd tier offensive guy; like Ric Jackman (but better defensively)?

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
I would say 2nd -3rd pairing guy as well as a possible 1st PP and PK guy is definetly a realistic assesment. While he doesn't look like he will be a top D man in the league he could certainly develop into a solid defender who puts up good offensive numbers.

The assesment above is right that his weakness is his defensive play, which is not a liability but adequate.

Another thing to notice is that he usually takes some time to adjust to the level he plays at (college 2 years, AHL 1 year).

He got called up last week but sent back to Hartford without playing a game :(

NYRGoalieGlut*

joe blow said:
I certainly think he could make the NHL in due time. He has a pretty good overall skill set, maybe he can be used for his offensive upside. I was surprised to see him in the pro ranks as a defenceman. I played against him in 1994 when he represented Austria at the Quebec Pee-Wee International Tournament. He was quite impressive, he scored 4 goals and his team beat us 5-1. I know, it was pee-wee hockey, but man did he have some slick puck skills.

He's converted from being a forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->