Player Discussion: Thomas Greiss

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Greiss has his best year after he worked with Francilia. The thing I find odd is what made him get away from what he was doing the year prior?

He was so bad this year that you almost forget how great he was the year we beat the panthers in the playoffs.

For better or worse he’s signed and I don’t see him being moved. Let’s hope he can regain his form he had a couple of years ago when he posted pretty great numbers.

I still hope the isles look to bring another starter into the fold though.

Reactions: Newsworthy

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
does anyone remember that tweet his wife sent out last summer that was along the lines of ''say a prayer''

I wondered if Greiss got injured during the offseason and potentially played through something (groin etc..)because he really went downhill fast

That’s interesting. He’s a huge extream mountain biker. Maybe he got hurt and hid it from the team because he didn’t want to get his contract voided? If that’s even possible.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Nice to hear that he's at least working hard this offseason and not sitting on his contract. He was good for us until last year. Goalies have bad years and rebound pretty often in the NHL. We can't go in with "just Greiss" next year, but I wouldn't be so quick to write off his modest contract as a complete waste just yet.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Nice to hear that he's at least working hard this offseason and not sitting on his contract. He was good for us until last year. Goalies have bad years and rebound pretty often in the NHL. We can't go in with "just Greiss" next year, but I wouldn't be so quick to write off his modest contract as a complete waste just yet.
It is an unmovable contract, and he is overpaid(another Snow special) because he is a career backup. I hope he can turn it around, but the only worse performances I have seen in net were the last days of DP.

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
It is an unmovable contract, and he is overpaid(another Snow special) because he is a career backup. I hope he can turn it around, but the only worse performances I have seen in net were the last days of DP.

I think Greiss was just mentally overwhelmed by 40 to 45 shots every night and opposing skaters coming at him with no Islanders around. It seems like he was always giving up three goals by the middle of the second period and he just started freaking out with his stats getting worse and worse. You can't go from really good to horrendous in such a short period of time without the problem being in your head. Hopefully he's not set up to fail like last year.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
@Quickdraw2828 That is exactly the case.
I hope he rebounds. he is nice guy and i know he has it into him. But when your teams defence is so awfull, you can't do anything.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Just amazing. Can't believe we have the best tandem in the league.

Jennings trophy began in 1981-82. Smith/Melanson won it for Islanders in 1982-83 (with 2.87/2.66GA .906/912 sv% in the high scoring era of the early 80's)

No other tandem is close to Lehner/Greiss who's numbers are just absurd in the last 25 games. Both are now 1 and 2 in GA and Sv%.

Who would ever have dreamt this after giving up the most goals in the past 20 years last season?

Reactions: nyisles and MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Just amazing. Can't believe we have the best tandem in the league.

Jennings trophy began in 1981-82. Smith/Melanson won it for Islanders in 1982-83 (with 2.87/2.66GA .906/912 sv% in the high scoring era of the early 80's)

No other tandem is close to Lehner/Greiss who's numbers are just absurd in the last 25 games. Both are now 1 and 2 in GA and Sv%.

Who would ever have dreamt this after giving up the most goals in the past 20 years last season?

Well when you go from the worst coaching in the league to the best it's actually very easy to explain....And very easy to enjoy.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Well when you go from the worst coaching in the league to the best it's actually very easy to explain....And very easy to enjoy.

Plus the development of our young D. None of which have regressed, Pelech looked bad early in the season but it's fair to say Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield all improved alot from the end of last season to the beginning of this season and also from the beginning of this season to now. Is it fair to say, they are "seasoned"?

None of them have even hit the 300 game mark , the milestone for evaluating D.

Not to hijack Greiss thread, he really rebounded and looks like Greiss that had ALOT to do with our series victory vs FLA

Reactions: Newsworthy

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Really?
Washington has one of the best goalies in the league in Holtby and he was pretty average to bad last regular season.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
what?
He makes like what 3.33 a year?
I know your talking about last season when Greiss was awful but that deal is not unmovable.
Right now the contract looks like a bargain.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Plus the development of our young D. None of which have regressed, Pelech looked bad early in the season but it's fair to say Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield all improved alot from the end of last season to the beginning of this season and also from the beginning of this season to now. Is it fair to say, they are "seasoned"?

None of them have even hit the 300 game mark , the milestone for evaluating D.

Not to hijack Greiss thread, he really rebounded and looks like Greiss that had ALOT to do with our series victory vs FLA

But again...That's coaching.

Y0u think any player on this team would be better under weight or capuano coaching them (and without Tavares)? No chance.

We have the best hockey coach in the world right now in Trotz. Of all the people who deserve one of those insane Yashin/DP/snow contracts...It's Trotz.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
But again...That's coaching.

Y0u think any player on this team would be better under weight or capuano coaching them (and without Tavares)? No chance.

We have the best hockey coach in the world right now in Trotz. Of all the people who deserve one of those insane Yashin/DP/snow contracts...It's Trotz.

Yes I do because all of them train rigorously over the summer, as far as I know , Trotz is not with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->