Confirmed with Link: Thomas Greiss Extended (3 years, 3.33 AAV)

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Interestingly, if Halak is bought out next year; Isles would save 3,333,333. The same as Greiss' contract. The following year they would be on the hook for 1,666,667. However, they have a lot of contract coming off the books in two years.

Either way, I hope they find a trade for Halak.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Great deal for both Greiss and the team. This gives the Isles significant stability in net while they try to pry Sorokin lose from the KHL and let's them see what they have in the AHL goalies (not counting Halak in that grouping just Gibson, Williams, McAdam, etc.) without having to worry about rushing anyone.

And in the off season or before the start of next year, if Halak is still with the Isles, they should be able to trade him. Even if they have to retain some salary. Or they could just buy him out. Either way, the goalie pipeline is reasonably secure and clearly delineated in the pecking order.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Interestingly, if Halak is bought out next year; Isles would save 3,333,333. The same as Greiss' contract. The following year they would be on the hook for 1,666,667. However, they have a lot of contract coming off the books in two years.

Either way, I hope they find a trade for Halak.

Isles might be taking back a contract, if required. He's on a one year deal next season - motivated to prove 'others' wrong and a LOT of the alternatives have term on them. He's expensive, but the term part is attractive.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
great signing--greiss must like it here because he could've gotten more in UFA and this is his one chance to cash in

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Love it...can you imagine the scenario if TG wasn't here..we'd be stuck "hoping" Jaro wanted to play, watching game after game of softie's slip in and wondering which one of the kids had to really step up to save our *****.

Garth has CdH and Pelech still out on the vine..hopefully the next GM gets them signed (and we keep them) but will give Garth credit for taking care of this early, at a great term and price.

Hooray for our "never gonna be a starter" goalie, happy he's still here for the intermediate term.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
That's pretty much a steal. How did Cizikas and Clutterbuck manage to get more money and term than Greiss?

It is a combination of age, past performance/pay, history including on the free agent market, and that there are only 30 starting goalie spots available in the NHL, which helps push down the value/cost of all but the elite goalies or a team that blindly overpays out of need for the next level. And I assume Greiss likes it here and wants to finally set himself up with some stability and a solid pay day. Good deal for both sides.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This was a great move.. in my years of following the Isles, we have a bevvy of goalie prospects and most fail.. so Soroykin and Soderstrom could be Brodeur and Roy but more than likely Poulin and Koskinen.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
No, but my point is if he regresses or becomes 'avg' - the term and cap hit are digestible and sustainable under the cap unlike a ton of other goalies: Bernier, DAL duo, AZ Smith, Reimer (WTH????), etc.

League average or personal average. His career average isn't bad, 2.40 .919 I'll take that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->