Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’m fairly certain Staios’ first choice is Tanev. He brings everything Staios is looking for.
Pesce does as well imo, but will cost more if he even becomes available at all.

Tanev is a good short term solution, but 35 years old next season means we'll need a fountain of youth if we want to take full advantage of him.

Pesce, Matt Roy, then Tanev for me. DeMelo hits a lot of checkboxes, but ideally I want someone more physical.

Reactions: Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I've come to the conclusion that we can't get to where we want to go with that contract on the books. He's just badly under playing the AAV

I've seen some imo ass backward comments that what we need is a capable 3rd pair so that we can allocate the hard minutes to the shutdown and 3rd pair guy leaving our big money D with the easiest left side minutes so he can dominate.

What you need at 8 AAV is a guy that you can throw out in any situation and think "he's got this" and at 27 years old, Chabot isn't and won't be that guy. JM's comment on the radio clip pumped up Sanderson and said Chabot has to go to the gym. Frankly I wish he hadn't said that because it probably craters his value a bit, but it appears to be the hard love truth
Did DJ just pat these kids on the head ?

Reactions: Loach

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Tanev is a good short term solution, but 35 years old next season means we'll need a fountain of youth if we want to take full advantage of him.

Pesce, Matt Roy, then Tanev for me. DeMelo hits a lot of checkboxes, but ideally I want someone more physical.
None of those guys are big hitters but Tanev is pretty physical on the boards and boxing out. My personal preferences in order are Pesce, Roy, Tanev then DeMelo. I just think Staios has keyed in on Tanev for his leadership and how he helped Hughes.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
** if staois can make salaries work.

Player wise would you do Chabot for Nicolas Hague straight up ?​

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

I'd do Chabot for Whitecloud straight up, but would take Hague as well. The addition $5 million capspace we save could be used to even out the rest of our roster.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Sure, but it makes absolutely zero sense for the Knights.

Last thing they need is another 8M defenseman after signing Hanifin and Theodore needing an extension.

A more realistic trade scenario that we should explore is a deal based around Whitecloud/Hague for Boston's 1st.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Torts could do that. He turned Sanheim and Ristolainen's games around completely.

Send them Chabot and Kelly for Hathaway and Atkinson.
I like Tortorella; he does not tolerate sloppy defensive play. We need a no-nonsense coach who has experience in the NHL and holds players accountable for playing strong defensive hockey.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Yeah, Tanev's age gives me pause as well. We saw how Hamonic and Holden's plays fell off a cliff the second year they were with us.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I've come to the conclusion that we can't get to where we want to go with that contract on the books. He's just badly under playing the AAV

I've seen some imo ass backward comments that what we need is a capable 3rd pair so that we can allocate the hard minutes to the shutdown and 3rd pair guy leaving our big money D with the easiest left side minutes so he can dominate.

What you need at 8 AAV is a guy that you can throw out in any situation and think "he's got this" and at 27 years old, Chabot isn't and won't be that guy. JM's comment on the radio clip pumped up Sanderson and said Chabot has to go to the gym. Frankly I wish he hadn't said that because it probably craters his value a bit, but it appears to be the hard love truth
I know how you feel about the player, no worries there! ;)

I personally have a more mellow approach and would like to see how the bulk of the core does with the new coaching staff.

In terms of the 3rd pairing I always assumed that hard minutes meant brining the physicality while not getting scored on constantly, not hard minutes in terms of playing against the other teams top players.

Thats Sandy and Zub’s job along with Chabby and the stalwart rd we pick up in my opinion. 3rd pair brings the pain, plays heavy.

Thats not what JM said, that’s what some folks have taken and run down the road to, and it’s doubtful that it would have any effect on his value. The previous coach also had a lot of positive things to say about Chabby’s ability and desire to play through pain etc..

I think this is just a case of you having turned on a player and seeing what you want to see, while I’m simply taking a more measured approach. It’s all good, what will be will be.

I will say one thing though: if we trade both Cabby and Chych, and run with Bran in the top 4 I will be really disappointed.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I know how you feel about the player, no worries there! ;)

I personally have a more mellow approach and would like to see how the bulk of the core does with the new coaching staff.

In terms of the 3rd pairing I always assumed that hard minutes meant brining the physicality while not getting scored on constantly, not hard minutes in terms of playing against the other teams top players.

Thats Sandy and Zub’s job along with Chabby and the stalwart rd we pick up in my opinion. 3rd pair brings the pain, plays heavy.

Thats not what JM said, that’s what some folks have taken and run down the road to, and it’s doubtful that it would have any effect on his value. The previous coach also had a lot of positive things to say about Chabby’s ability and desire to play through pain etc..

I think this is just a case of you having turned on a player and seeing what you want to see, while I’m simply taking a more measured approach. It’s all good, what will be will be.

I will say one thing though: if we trade both Cabby and Chych, and run with Bran in the top 4 I will be really disappointed.
I listened to that clip. It's a radio clip so there's no body language to see but JM was asked about Chabot and you could hear he was struggling to be positive. It was actually worse when Kastelic's name was brought.

The way I used hard minutes was in the context of how it was used in the ass backward comments I referred to. It's pretty backward to suggest you need a 1-2 million dollar guy to take on the difficult assignments so that the 8 million dollar guy can play against easier opponents but that appears to be where we are.

I do think he'll be back, in large part because I feel it would be very difficult to get rid of him. So, I hope he takes his own thoughts to heart and becomes a work out fiend because something has to change with him.

Reactions: Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Tanev will be 64 when that group is ready to make some noise
Pesce or Roy makes more sense to isolate our highest paid D

Reactions: senswon

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I listened to that clip. It's a radio clip so there's no body language to see but JM was asked about Chabot and you could hear he was struggling to be positive. It was actually worse when Kastelic's name was brought.

The way I used hard minutes was in the context of how it was used in the ass backward comments I referred to. It's pretty backward to suggest you need a 1-2 million dollar guy to take on the difficult assignments so that the 8 million dollar guy can play against easier opponents but that appears to be where we are.

I do think he'll be back, in large part because I feel it would be very difficult to get rid of him. So, I hope he takes his own thoughts to heart and becomes a work out fiend because something has to change with him.
I’m in the boat of a new coaching staff and a stable partner who is a legit top 4 RD doing wonders for his game.

I think he has all of the mental and physical skills to get back to being an excellent top 4 defenceman.

What I really don’t want to do is get rid of him before we surround him with the offerings of a professional organization. That, to me, sounds too much like giving away EK and Stone in their primes.

I want to give this ownership a chance to make some moves before trading away our good core players. Most of our guys had tough seasons, everyone needs to refocus and have epic training off seasons, and Thomas as much as anyone.

To me Chabby, Stu, and to a lesser extent Batherson, are the core guys that need to come to camp ready to get back on track. I want to see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad