Recalled/Assigned: Thomas Chabot and Christian Jaros Recalled

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Doesnt seem that long ago that Holland was held up as the lodestar for great GMs. Now he is getting dissed by many Detroit fans. Im not sure letting players over-ripen is much better than playing them before they are ready. If they can help and they are ready, bring them up. None of Brown, Chabot, or Formenton seem ready to me though.

It would be great to be so stacked with talent that ripened youngsters couldnt even win a roster spot, like the old Habs dynasty teams or the great Detroit teams. But now that neither team is loaded with talent, their strategy of waiting till prospects are over-ripened seems to be falling by the wayside a bit.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Doubt it. He used Formenton so little the other night and Brown sparingly the night before. That's one of the only things that frustrate me about Boucher. Use the kids!

Boucher said they might go 11-7 vs the Canucks. I would not expect the rookie D to get very much icetime. Boucher doesn't like to let rookies play thru their mistakes ... Its ok for the time being but at some point it helps the Cap to have young guys in the lineup. Guy has a stronger personality than PD

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Boucher said they might go 11-7 vs the Canucks. I would not expect the rookie D to get very much icetime. Boucher doesn't like to let rookies play thru their mistakes ... Its ok for the time being but at some point it helps the Cap to have young guys in the lineup. Guy has a stronger personality than PD

That's the thing though, if they can't play through their mistakes, how will they get better? I'd play the heck out of Formenton and Brown when I put them in the lineup. Chabot and Jaros too. If they're good enough to get the call, then use them. I've always had an issue with that mind you - and it's not like Boucher doesn't command/get results, so I'm wrong obviously.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
But he'll let vets play through their mistakes to seemingly no end It's not just him obviously. Dinosaur mentality in the NHL.

Reactions: derriko and Chezzz

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
As expected. Excited to see jaros. And chabot of course. But have a feeling jaros will look more ready overall.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That seems like a great way to hurt a kids confidence and get them to lose all creativity and play a safe/scared game. Exactly the last thing I would want with creative guys like Chabot and Brown.

I do understand to an extent....you don't want kids to go around doing whatever they want and getting rewarded with icetime. There has to be accountability and develop the proper foundation to play in the NHL, but I'm not so sure benching a kid after every mistake is the way to do it. It really depends on the mistake and what the kid is doing.

The one single thing that kills more careers, is to try and change a kid after he's drafted. You need to let guys play the game and work to the strengths that got them noticed and drafted. Trying to rework and change a kids game, is kinda like ripping up a ten dollar bill to turn it into a five....most of the time you'll get a lesser player. (Note: this isn't about adding tools to the toolbox...this is about trying to change the toolbox entirely.)

Reactions: pepty

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Alright, seriously though, I feel like I'm out of the loop here. Where did this baby / steak metaphor come from? Sounds like something Guy Boucher would say, but if it is, I missed it.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Boro
Wideman
Claesson
(Chabot)
(Harpur)
(Jaros)
(Brown)
(Formenton)

Are all on the roster now

You can probably throw Colin White in a bracket spot there, too, since odds are very good that he'd be on the big team now if not for injury.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Boucher is lower in the org structure and, as the coach, will maintain his job only if he wins more games and gets into the playoffs consistently. Playing youngsters who have just joined the team from junior without getting experience in the AHL means more mistakes that leads to more shots and goals against. Boucher can not afford many mistakes, so he will not play youngsters much unless they play mistake free in their first few shifts/Games as he has better options.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
The one single thing that kills more careers, is to try and change a kid after he's drafted. You need to let guys play the game and work to the strengths that got them noticed and drafted. Trying to rework and change a kids game, is kinda like ripping up a ten dollar bill to turn it into a five....most of the time you'll get a lesser player. (Note: this isn't about adding tools to the toolbox...this is about trying to change the toolbox entirely.)

Agree with this. Some can do it, but most not. Chabot should play the Left and Jaros the Right side by this process. And adjust for the system to allow it

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I kind of was thinking they were considering going 11-7 because Hoffman is sick and thus questionable. Could be wrong though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Alright, seriously though, I feel like I'm out of the loop here. Where did this baby / steak metaphor come from? Sounds like something Guy Boucher would say, but if it is, I missed it.

Yes, it's a Boucher quote in response to a question about Chabot this offseason

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Is that this offseason, or last offseason.

Still love the quote.

I'm just glad Chabot has a chance so early. I do hope they send him down after Karl is back (unless Ceci is gone), but atleast now it doesn't seem like punishment.

Bouches post practise comments were very intetesting. Chabots intense, first thing he did on arriving was watch video tapes of himself in the defensive zone. Kid wants this bad.

You might not give a baby a steak, but he still gets the teet every now and again.

Vancouver and Calgary are two perfect teams for us to actually give the kids decent icetime, also I know Formenton got <5 min but Brown got 10+ min Game 1. So Bouche is playing the kids abit more than normal.

Bring on the game!

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
We desperately need the creativity that Brown and Chabot provide.

Sure they will make mistakes and get beat, but it's not that hard to shelter them and give them favourable match up's until they get used to the pace of the NHL.

Boucher isn't using his best players.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

Sure they will make mistakes and get beat, but it's not that hard to shelter them and give them favourable match up's until they get used to the pace of the NHL.

I agree, i understand sheltering a young player like, Brown, Chabot, White for some time, to ease them up. But at some point, they have to let them loose, within the system of course.

I think that Chabot will be given PP time, just like they did with Brown who will again see some PP time. White will probably see PP at some point, then PK on a third pair of forward if needed for now.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
That's the thing though, if they can't play through their mistakes, how will they get better? I'd play the heck out of Formenton and Brown when I put them in the lineup. Chabot and Jaros too. If they're good enough to get the call, then use them. I've always had an issue with that mind you - and it's not like Boucher doesn't command/get results, so I'm wrong obviously.
he can play through mistakes in the AHL. Its unfair to paint Boucher a certain way when he is literally getting roasted for 'overplaying' ceci another young D and letting him play through mistakes. I think with the roster we have and Chabot Brown and Formenton never having played a pro level season before makes him cautious with them. If we were talking about 21+year rookies (like he did with wideman and dzingle) then it would be a different story.

I also think White would have been his guy to play a lot more mins

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I'd be surprised if they did that with two young defencemen unless Hoffman can't play & they have no one else to play. IMO Jaros is just there as an injury replacement if they lose another player during this western trip, I'd be surprised if he played.

It's Boucher's job to win hockey games & having as few young players as possible reduces the amount of mistakes made which supposedly gives the team a better chance to win games. Having vets who supposedly play "the right way" as we hear so often these days I assume give his team a better chance to win by reducing the amount of mistakes the team makes. I think we have to admit that because he was able to reduce the goals against dramatically in his first yr he did reduce the mistakes. Hard to argue with success & we all want to see the young guys & how they can do against NHL competition & given a fair chance. My guess is that they should be given more of an opportunity next season & maybe just Harpur could be the only young guy given more opportunity based on what he did here during last yr's playoffs.

You can probably throw Colin White in a bracket spot there, too, since odds are very good that he'd be on the big team now if not for injury.

I'm not sure about that although it's likely White would have stayed over Formenton & probably Brown but I'm not sure how much rope GB would give him either, hard to say. If PD picks up a forward my guess is that White will be sent to Belleville & be an injury callup.

I don't disagree with you but I would guess that Boucher's opinion on who are the best players on this team & the people on this board's opinion of who are the best players would be quite different & surprising to some people here. It's an interesting debate though whether young creative players should play more even though they may cause too many or unacceptable turnovers that could result in goals against when one of the reasons GB was hired was to reduce the goals against. And the other question is should players who are creative offensively but make mistakes & turnovers actually be considered NHL ready? And should they be taking those mistakes out of their game in the minors rather than at the NHL level where mistakes can cost jobs?

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd be surprised if they did that with two young defencemen unless Hoffman can't play & they have no one else to play. IMO Jaros is just there as an injury replacement if they lose another player during this western trip, I'd be surprised if he played.

that was yesterday ,,, Hoffman being sick yesterday could have been a factor. Knowing he has to play a Rookie D, he might have had it mind to dress 2 and eliminate dressing any rookie forwards... He also said it would be a game time decision ... so we will see... He could share the limited icetime between Jaros and Chabot to get a look at both.

edit: still on the menu apparently

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Boucher's fear of young players is an issue. He dressed White in the playoffs and played him for what? 2 minutes? Chabot had one bad game in the pre-season, which was a bad game where pretty much everybody looked terrible and it got him sent down to the AHL when he is arguably our 6th best d right now at least. We've already seen Boucher's attitude to youngsters alienate a few players, granted we've been lucky that it has been the Lazar and Puempel's of the world and not the Chabot's of the world. Hopefully, Boucher can get over it when it comes to some of these better young players like White, Brown, and Chabot.

Although, I will say he gave Brown a reasonable amount of time in his first game.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Karlsson probably wasn't put on IR because that means he wouldn't be allowed to play for another week. Given he was considered close enough that he might have played last night, I don't think the Sens would risk not being able to dress him for another 7 days if he gets over the hump.

Most likely, Harpur+Oduya are now on IR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad