THN Draft Preview is out

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Crap something tells me the Wild are looking at Korpikoski...

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Surprisingly - 37th. And Hedman is 80th.

Sounds like O'Neill, Hedman and Lepisto may have been the most overrated players on these boards over the past couple months. In Hedman and Lepisto's cases it would appear that none of the major scouting guides (CSS, THN, Redline) have them in the 1st round while a bunch of posters on here insisted that would be the case (see some mock drafts.) I'm sure we'll see a correction with respect to their positions now that the rankings are out.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Sounds like O'Neill, Hedman and Lepisto may have been the most overrated players on these boards over the past couple months. In Hedman and Lepisto's cases it would appear that none of the major scouting guides (CSS, THN, Redline) have them in the 1st round while a bunch of posters on here insisted that would be the case (see some mock drafts.) I'm sure we'll see a correction with respect to their positions now that the rankings are out.

McKeens has O'Neill pretty high (16), and I've seen other rankings of him in the 1st round, but it does sound like there have been some wide ranging opinions on him. For all his struggles, he is still quite young and has a great package of size and speed - so you just never know. I think Valabik is in the same boat. That said, it doesn't really sound like top 10 is likely.

Hedman has certainly moved up at McKeens over the last few months (he is now at 36 on their list). He is taking a regular shift in the SEL and lead defenceman in goal scoring at the U18. Sounds like he has a NHL sized body already (read: thick) and the upside to get better. He supposedly really must improve his slap shot, which is no where near on par with the rest of his skills. But despite that, it has been said he has been his SEL team's best d-man at times late in the year. So I think it's fair to say that some of his hype is the result of his play late in the year. Fransson still sounds like the better bet for the first round, but you never know.

Lepisto is just a bit too old to compare to some of the other players. There will be so many intriguing d-men available early in the 2nd (like Hedman and Lyamin potentially), I think he'll fall. Enstrom certainly didn't go as high as some people thought he would last year, and Lepisto might just experience the same fate. Other than post-WJC after his performance there, I really haven't seen Lepsto in the top 40 in any ratings. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to the third round given his age.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
I was a little confused by Radulov's profile.

They say he "can disappear when it gets physical" and then they say "he runs over people to get the puck" Can anyone explain? Is Radulov soft or not?

thestonedkoala

Maybe if there are some big defensemen out there, he'll disappear from mucking it up but in 'soft games' like those when playing against Minnesota (lol), he'll be physical? I mean maybe he doesn't like defensemen like Phaneuf but like Kuba? Guys that won't lay you out? And if there are defensemen out here like that he disappears but other than that he'll kill people to get the puck as long as it's not overtly physical out there.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This is well worth the five or so bucks I spent on it. I was just browsing through it briefly, haven't sat down and read everything yet, but whoever this one scout is pays a great compliment to Viktor Alexandrov: "He is better than the other Kazak (Nik Antropov) that we all know about."

Unless there's another Nik Antropov in this draft, that's pretty good marks.

Does anyone have any info on Zdenek Bahensky? He's rated 39 and I haven't read anything about him before.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
MrKnowNothing said:
Does anyone have any info on Zdenek Bahensky? He's rated 39 and I haven't read anything about him before.

He caught my eye when the final CSB rankings came out, because of his size (Oilers like big kids now) and the fact that he had over 200 minutes in penalties in the Czech junior league. One scouting service says he's a pretty good skater who struggles at stickhandling.

Sounds like a perfect Oiler.

Munchausen

NYR469 said:
as a flames fan, shouldn't you be hoping for the guy who is projected to go #30, since that is when the flames will pick if they win the cup?

He's a Habs fan.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
MrKnowNothing said:
This is well worth the five or so bucks I spent on it. I was just browsing through it briefly, haven't sat down and read everything yet, but whoever this one scout is pays a great compliment to Viktor Alexandrov: "He is better than the other Kazak (Nik Antropov) that we all know about."

Unless there's another Nik Antropov in this draft, that's pretty good marks.

He looks as he could be player but won´t be IMO. Here are at least 10 better Czech prospects this year but on the other hand some people are quite high on him.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
czechhockeyfan said:
He looks as he could be player but won´t be IMO. Here are at least 10 better Czech prospects this year but on the other hand some people are quite high on him.

I found Bahensky often to be indistinguishable from Karel Hromas on the ice. They both play a crash and bang game without a lot of finesse, although they are both good skaters. I prefer Hromas though because he does his thing with just a little more pro-like 'authority' than Bahensky. Bahensky though could have the advantage of 'coming on' a bit later in the season.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Voodoo said:
Steblick, do you mind sharing your opinion on Gracik? He seems to have great size and a goalscorers touch, not to mention he is going to be one of the youngest players taken in this years draft.

I have him placed well in the 2nd round. I think he is a sleeper. Not only the age and size issues, as you mentioned, but I like the way he works in traffic- he can do something with the puck while warding off, or going through, defenders. He could use a little more agility and polish in his movements but he's still a good one. Where is he on the THN ranking?

Last edited:

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
steblick said:
I found Bahensky often to be indistinguishable from Karel Hromas on the ice. They both play a crash and bang game without a lot of finesse, although they are both good skaters. I prefer Hromas though because he does his thing with just a little more pro-like 'authority' than Bahensky. Bahensky though could have the advantage of 'coming on' a bit later in the season.

I see at least one big difference between Hromas and Bahensky. Bahensky is very inconsistent while I didn´t see Hromas to play really bad game.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
steblick said:
I have him placed well in the 2nd round. I think he is a sleeper. Not only the age and size issues, as you mentioned, but I like the way he works in traffic- he can do something with the puck while warding off, or going through, defenders. He could use a little more agility and polish in his movements but he's still a good one. Where is he on the THN ranking?

THN has Gracik at 45.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad