Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
this would be my possible next years team:

Goalies:

Tyson Sexsmith (Vancouver, WHL) (Starter)

Nicloa Riopel (Moncton, QMJHL)

Defense:

Alex Grant (Saint John, QMJHL)

Ryan Kerr (Prince George, WHL)

Stephen Lund (PEI, QMJHL)

Thomas Hickey (Seattle, WHL)

John Negrin (Kootaney, WHL)

Mark Katic (Sarnia, OHL)

Spare - Brendan Smith (St. Mikes, OHL)

Forwards:

Angelo Esposito (Quebec, QMJHL)

Jean Simon Allard (Saint John's, QMJHL)

Dwight King (Lethbridge, WHL)

Logan Couture (Ottawa, OHL)

Brad Malone (Cushing Acadamey, NCAA bound)

Brett Leffler (Regina, WHL)

Scott Brannon (Cape Breton, QMJHL)

Zack Torquato (Saginaw, OHL)

Colton Gillies (Saskatoon, WHL)

Brandon Sutter (Branden, WHL)

Bryan Cameron (Belleville, OHL)

Colin Escott (Gatineau, QMJHL)

Spare - Zach Harnden (OHL)

8 -WHLers 6 - OHLers 7- QMJHLers

I don't think John Tavaras will be on this year but if he is look for a guy like Escott to get taken off to make room for him, another guy who could make it is Tyler Swystun. My potential line combos would be:

Tyson Sexsmit - Nicola Riopel

Alex Grant - Ryan Kerr
Stephen Lund - Mark Katic
Thomas Hickey - John Negrin

Logan Couture - Angelo Esposito - Colton Gillies
Dwight King - Brad Malone - Brett Leffler
Zach Torquato - Jean-Simon Allard - Scott Brannon
Bryan Cameron - Colin Escott - Brandon Sutter

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I don't know about Kerr making it next year. He will play @ the U17 tourney after Xmas with Team Pacific, but I don't see him being one of the top seven in Canada at this time next year. I hope I'm wrong though.

A few corrections;

Swystun was born in 1988.

Tavares was born in 1990 and would have to have a Crosby like year to be invited. I doubt that happens, they will take all '89's.

Sexsmith is going to be a good one and that Hickey kid was getting excellent reviews from Seattle fans at the end of the 04/05 year in Seattle. Could be a stud in the years to come.

Gillies will have to pick it up to be on Team Canada next year.

Dustin Sylvester could make some noise at the U17's next year and another guy I like is Brett Sonne out of Maple Ridge, who should play w/Calgary in the WHL this coming season.

Last edited by a moderator:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
haha made a mistake on Swyasten, Gillies is a big body with good hands around the net...very raw still IMO he will be a good fit with a playmaker and scorer like Esposito and a sniper like Couture...Gillies would go to the net screen for them and go after rebounds.

Kerr has alot of talent and IMO is one of the best d-men for his age in Canada...Alex Grant IMO is the best with Hickey and Lund very close behind him.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Canada's U-18 teams should be pretty good. We swept the medals U17 in 2003 and 2004. That's paid off at this year's Junior World Cup, where Canada will be in the gold medal game tomorrow.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Scoutman

How did the Wheat Kings aquire Sutter? I don't see him on any draft lists. Not familiar with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
expofan said:
Scoutman

How did the Wheat Kings aquire Sutter? I don't see him on any draft lists. Not familiar with him.

Sorry I ment Red Deer...that pick was traded, I was looking for what team he was on and noticed Brandon but next to it said traded which I didn't see haha sorry...he is on Red Deer.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
Colton Gillies!!! hahaha

The kid is a big 6'5 forward who only got drafted so high into the WHL because he is just that....BIG! He can't skate and has never posted big numbers in minor hockey at all. If he is in the future plans of Hockey Canada, we are in trouble!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
Canada's U-18 teams should be pretty good. We swept the medals U17 in 2003 and 2004. That's paid off at this year's Junior World Cup, where Canada will be in the gold medal game tomorrow.

and of course they won the game 5 - 3 over the Czech's!

Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
I know very little about the U18s, but for those that follow them, any chance guys like Logan Pyett and/or Ian Duval could crack this roster?

They're talking about the 1989 birthdates in this thread.

Pyett and Duval are born in 1988 and so are eligible for this year's U18 team, which just participated in the U18 World Cup in the Czech Republic. Pyett made the team, but Duval was cut from the camp roster.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
HabLover said:
please explain......... :allears:

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=402471#2004

As a frequenter of Calgary hockey rinks, I have had the chance to see Hickey play since he was an underage-captain/MVP of his AAA Bantam team in 02-03. As a regular aged-bantam in 03-04 he was far and away the best talent for his age group in Calgary IMHO. Yet, there was a wild buzz of shock when Hickey went 3rd overall in the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft to the Thunderbirds. GM Russ Farwell stated that day that it was an "Andrew Ference" type player that they had drafted (whom as you remember was a dominant D-man in his WHL days). I disagree. Andrew Ference does not have nearly the innate hockey sense that Hickey does. High praise, but parallel with my beliefs in his uncanny array of talent and hockey sense.

As a bantam aged D-man Hickey had 29G 33A in 33 games. This past season, as a 15-year old underager in the Alberta Midget Hockey League, Hickey put up more than a point-a-game and was the clear leader and only 1st Team Allstar from his Royals AAA Midget team. In 5 games with the Thunderbirds on a call-up basis, Hickey had 3 PTs in 5 games including a howitser slap-shot in his 1st ever WHL game as well as a 1G, 1A, 1st Star performance.

So as I said, You don't know the half of it. And you won't, until you see this kid play. And you'll be impressed.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
They're talking about the 1989 birthdates in this thread.

Pyett and Duval are born in 1988 and so are eligible for this year's U18 team, which just participated in the U18 World Cup in the Czech Republic. Pyett made the team, but Duval was cut from the camp roster.

Well, like I said, I don't know much about it all. I know they're 88's, but forgot that this is for 17 year olds(the whole U18). Great to see Logan make the team, though(last year).

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Mallard said:
http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=402471#2004

As a frequenter of Calgary hockey rinks, I have had the chance to see Hickey play since he was an underage-captain/MVP of his AAA Bantam team in 02-03. As a regular aged-bantam in 03-04 he was far and away the best talent for his age group in Calgary IMHO. Yet, there was a wild buzz of shock when Hickey went 3rd overall in the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft to the Thunderbirds. GM Russ Farwell stated that day that it was an "Andrew Ference" type player that they had drafted (whom as you remember was a dominant D-man in his WHL days). I disagree. Andrew Ference does not have nearly the innate hockey sense that Hickey does. High praise, but parallel with my beliefs in his uncanny array of talent and hockey sense.

As a bantam aged D-man Hickey had 29G 33A in 33 games. This past season, as a 15-year old underager in the Alberta Midget Hockey League, Hickey put up more than a point-a-game and was the clear leader and only 1st Team Allstar from his Royals AAA Midget team. In 5 games with the Thunderbirds on a call-up basis, Hickey had 3 PTs in 5 games including a howitser slap-shot in his 1st ever WHL game as well as a 1G, 1A, 1st Star performance.

So as I said, You don't know the half of it. And you won't, until you see this kid play. And you'll be impressed.

All I know is several Seattle fans posted about this kid and thought he was a dandy and could be a gem in the future!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
scoutman1 said:
haha made a mistake on Swyasten, Gillies is a big body with good hands around the net...very raw still IMO he will be a good fit with a playmaker and scorer like Esposito and a sniper like Couture...Gillies would go to the net screen for them and go after rebounds.

Kerr has alot of talent and IMO is one of the best d-men for his age in Canada...Alex Grant IMO is the best with Hickey and Lund very close behind him.

Have you ever seen Kerr play?

I will get a chance to watch him in a couple of weeks at training camp and then throughout the year. I will update on his progress.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I've done alot of scouting of this age group especially for the Ontario section of players and I think this would be the team I'd put on the ice right now, although we all know alot of things chage over the course of these kids first season in junior or because of the U-17's in December:

Goaltenders:

Darryl Borden (Kingston OHL)
Tyson Sexsmith (Vancouver WHL)

Defense:

Alex Grant (St. John QJMHL)
Ryan Kerr (Prince George WHL)
Stephan Lund (PEI QJMHL)
Mark Katic (Sarnia, OHL)
Thomas Hickey (Seattle WHL)
Brenden Smith (NCAA Bound USHL or St. Mike's)
either or :
Ben MacAskill (QJMHL) / Jake Muzzin (Sault Ste. Marie OHL)

Forwards:

Zac Torquato (Saginaw OHL)
Logan Couture (Ottawa OHL)
Sam Gagner (USHL NCAA Bound, London OHL if he goes that way)
Angelo Esposito (Quebec QJMHL)
Michael Biega (QJMHL)
Jean Simon-Allard (St. John's QJMHL)
Dwight King (Lethbridge WHL)
Colin Escott (Gatineau QJMHL)
Bryan Cameron (Belleville OHL)
Brad Malone (Cushing Academy NCAA)
Luke Pither (Kingston OHL) -- sleeper pick this kid is unreal.. just started to come into his own
Brent Parnham (Sudbury OHL)
Jon Tavares (Oshawa OHL) ** 90 bday will make it if they give him a spot on Ontario U 17 IMO

If not him Brett Leffler (Regina WHL)

Should be an awesome team... I'd say Captain Alex Grant
Assistants: Torquato, Hickey, Esposito

They will probably win just like the last couple of years
good luck this season to all the 89s with their ventures.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
ktownhockey said:
I've done alot of scouting of this age group especially for the Ontario section of players and I think this would be the team I'd put on the ice right now, although we all know alot of things chage over the course of these kids first season in junior or because of the U-17's in December:

Goaltenders:

Defense:

Stephan Lund (PEI QJMHL)
Mark Katic (Sarnia, OHL)
either or :

Forwards:

Michael Biega (QJMHL)
Luke Pither (Kingston OHL) -- sleeper pick this kid is unreal.. just started to come into his own
Jon Tavares (Oshawa OHL) ** 90 bday will make it if they give him a spot on Ontario U 17 IMO

I really don't see Tavaras making it...I agree on Sam Gagne I forgot about him...but I see Sutter making the team A) for his name...B) is a good all around player...C)the sutter type of play is everything you could want on a 3rd or 4th line. Scott Brannon is a WWWAAAAYYYY better player than Colin Escott, take it by me Brannon would be on the team before Escott.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
ktownhockey said:

Goaltenders:

Defense:

Stephan Lund (PEI QJMHL)
Mark Katic (Sarnia, OHL)
either or :

Forwards:

Michael Biega (QJMHL)

Is he not considering himself American?....or is that the young Vaive kid?

I know one or the other has possibly been named to the USA U18 team?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
HabLover said:
Is he not considering himself American?....or is that the young Vaive kid?

I know one or the other has possibly been named to the USA U18 team?

Pretty sure Gagner considers himself Canadian, and Vaive American....Doesn't Malone also have dual citizenship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad