This team is going nowhere unless they add some serious grit

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Yes, I know were off to a great start but this team is incredibly soft. Its a cultural issue at this point. Players who get added to the lineup who played with snarl are neutered when they enter this locker room. Cuylle was known as a guy who mixed it up, hes afraid to push guys after the whistle now.

There are far too many gentlemen on this team. Whens the last time you can recall a puck on net where we dont know where the puck is when guys went in digging for it into the goalie? Our guys sit there and dont want to offend the opposition. This is a very big issue.

It is imperative that we add some snarl to this lineup. And imo this roster will be flipped upside down for the better come playoffs if we can find a way to add a guy like garnet hathaway at the TDL and bring up othmann. Otherwise were getting bounced again very early

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Yes, I know were off to a great start but this team is incredibly soft. Its a cultural issue at this point. Players who get added to the lineup who played with snarl are neutered when they enter this locker room. Cuylle was known as a guy who mixed it up, hes afraid to push guys after the whistle now.

There are far too many gentlemen on this team. Whens the last time you can recall a puck on net where we dont know where the puck is when guys went in digging for it into the goalie? Our guys sit there and dont want to offend the opposition. This is a very big issue.

It is imperative that we add some snarl to this lineup. And imo this roster will be flipped upside down for the better come playoffs if we can find a way to add a guy like garnet hathaway at the TDL and bring up othmann. Otherwise were getting bounced again very early
You can add whoever you want, as long as the 1C, 1LW, 1D, and whatever KAM is (#3D?) play not just a finesse game but actively avoid contact it doesn't matter. It's a contact sport.

The most important guys set the tone. If you're 1C and 1LW aren't important, you're dead before you start.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don’t think it’s a snarl issue but I do think the rangers are still too unwilling to occupy the net front. Goalies are way too comfortable against the rangers.
The team was better at this in the first 15 games or so but have since reverted to the pull-up, east-west stuff too much. I’d love them to find one or two guys who make a mess in front of the net like Maroon does. Kreider could be that guy but with Mika he turns into a Fancy Dan. That’s why I’d prefer he play with skilled grinder types. Like Trocheck. But that ship has sailed I think. Vesey has quietly become part of the solution, so to speak. One of the few guys who doesn’t mind getting knocked around in front of the net.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I don’t think it’s a snarl issue but I do think the rangers are still too unwilling to occupy the net front. Goalies are way too comfortable against the rangers.
The team was better at this in the first 15 games or so but have since reverted to the pull-up, east-west stuff too much. I’d love them to find one or two guys who make a mess in front of the net like Maroon does. Kreider could be that guy but with Mika he turns into a Fancy Dan. That’s why I’d prefer he play with skilled grinder types. Like Trocheck. But that ship has sailed I think. Vesey has quietly become part of the solution, so to speak. One of the few guys who doesn’t mind getting knocked around in front of the net.
Agreed, vesey is one of the only guys to show he actually cares. He needs to be moved up on the lineup for the time being. The team is just incredibly passive

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Agreed, vesey is one of the only guys to show he actually cares. He needs to be moved up on the lineup for the time being. The team is just incredibly passive
I would add that aside from the passiveness on offense, which I think is overall still better than it was last year. I think a lot of the other issues, mainly with the team defense, are much improved egos year. So I’m optimistic. But I definitely agree they must continue to be more aggressive on the attack. They can’t be so easy to defend.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Drury & Co. are addressing this (though there is no way of predicting the future) with players like Edstrom, Rempe, Berard and Othmann.
Sykora is too young in his North American career to tell if he will play that game over here.
Trivigno plays that style but his development is not progressing. Too much fearlessness and snarl and not enough working on his skills.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022

A tale as old as time. NYR getting blanked and the fans attributing it to a lack of grit

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This team has had a streak where they arent what they were earlier and to be fair, that was probably a streak that didn't truly indicate reality either.

Garnet Hathaway isn't the fix here.

The grit this team needs is the mental toughness to keep grinding when they are down. They have shown to have that.

This is a team that relies on the PP and in games where they don't get PPs they struggle.
What they need to do in games like this is up their effort and increase their cycle game. That always results in the opposition taking penalties.

I think tonight's game against L.A. will be a better effort.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I loved that team. And that coach.
Me too man.

This team has enough skill to compete its the lack of fight/tenacity that will hold them back.

Two very simple moves that I believe would make this team a legitimate cup contender.

1) pat maroon at 50% retained ($400K) for a 3rd
2) garnet hathaway at 50% retained for zac jones and a 4th. Playoff lineup below

Kreider-mika-vesey
Panarin-trocheck-laff
Cuylle-chytil-kakko/goodrow
Maroon-bonino-hathaway
Wheeler, Pitlick

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad