this quote pisses me off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
Jim McKenzie of the Nashville Predators acknowledged he was tempted to accept a salary cap 10 years ago, but says he wouldn't have made the money he's made had the union caved.

"I would not be where I am now if 10 years ago the guys had given in. Ten years ago for me was tempting. I was sitting there with a young family. They weren't in school so you got up everyday and they are staring back at you. I was 22, 23 and didn't have a lot saved," the journeyman enforcer said. "There was the shock of being locked out and never thinking it would happen, and there was a real chance that the season would have been canceled. We're fortunate that it wasn't."

oh poor baby, you were worried about your future at 22 and 2, while making 300,000 a year!!! you ^&$$# #$%^#% @#$%%$%..... :banghead: :mad:

A Good Flying Bird*

Nich said:
Jim McKenzie of the Nashville Predators acknowledged he was tempted to accept a salary cap 10 years ago, but says he wouldn't have made the money he's made had the union caved.

"I would not be where I am now if 10 years ago the guys had given in. Ten years ago for me was tempting. I was sitting there with a young family. They weren't in school so you got up everyday and they are staring back at you. I was 22, 23 and didn't have a lot saved," the journeyman enforcer said. "There was the shock of being locked out and never thinking it would happen, and there was a real chance that the season would have been canceled. We're fortunate that it wasn't."

oh poor baby, you were worried about your future at 22 and 2, while making 300,000 a year!!! you ^&$$# #$%^#% @#$%%$%..... :banghead: :mad:

Is it the quote that makes you mad?
Or the fact that he makes more money than you?

Hockey_Nut99

Newsguyone said:

I think it's the quote. I think it would be silly of someone to get mad because these guys make more than them. I know I'm very comfortable with what I make. It's the disrespectful factor. These guys should educate themselves more and think before speaking...

The players need to try and learn where the average Joe is coming from. A lot of them must know(They weren't rich from the start). They should realize we, the fans, pay to watch them and that's where most of their income comes from(unless they have other business ventures). To me it has nothing to do with money, but morw with simple respect. Ya you guys make a lot of think about the people who get up everyday and struggle, yet they would still go watch you play. These are your target fans(unless your in Toronto lol)...

These guys don't have to care. To win some fans they should though. You shouldn't talk about being in such hardships when you make a minimim of 10 times an average Canadian salary. That's like a punch in the gut to a Canadian. It doesn't matter if your struggling and make $300 000 and you didn't save it or you don't know how to invest your money. You have an ample amount of money to work with and there is no reason you can't save even 1 year of salary. Just be more rspectful to the fans guys, that's all. Watch what you say and how you say it.

I say all this realizing that NHL players risked a lot in their lives to get to where they are and should be rewarded for it(although a lot are overpayed now). It's very very hard to get into the nhl. Just don't make DUMB COMMENTS!!!! haha

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Newsguyone said:

This line of thinking I dont understand. If someone has a problem with how much a hack like Mckenzie makes in context to their own income, I wouldn't categorize that as simple jealousy, more like anger at a system which rewards mediocrity by continually raising the median-level of salaries to where someone like Jim can make what he does.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
After taxes he's got like half that. That's not even enough to buy a house.

People talk about greedy players, but some of these guys don't make that much. They are young, don't forget. What they take home is barely enough to buy a house.

A Good Flying Bird*

waffledave said:

People talk about greedy players, but some of these guys don't make that much. They are young, don't forget. What they take home is barely enough to buy a house.

And how many guys work their entire lives and play just a season or two or less?
Quite a few.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
The reason I don't like this quote is that it makes it seem that if the Union would have caved, he would be living on the street and making the minimum salary. Hockey players just want to be pittied but they don't diserve it.

A Good Flying Bird*

x-bob said:
The reason I don't like this quote is that it makes it seem that if the Union would have caved, he would be living on the street and making the minimum salary. Hockey players just want to be pittied but they don't diserve it.

Pitied?
Dude, he's simply saying that he made pretty good money in his career, more than he would have made if the union had collapsed during an earlier negotiation.

That's pretty much what just about every union worker in the country believes.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Newsguyone said:
And how many guys work their entire lives and play just a season or two or less?
Quite a few.

To be honest, who gives a rat's ass about those guys? These guys make decisions to focus on hockey instead of school, and if it doesn't work out, they're the ones responsible for the consequences. No one is owed the opportunity to play in the NHL.

But then I don't have much sympathy for laid off NHL employees either, so I might just be a *******.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Newsguyone said:
Pitied?
Dude, he's simply saying that he made pretty good money in his career, more than he would have made if the union had collapsed during an earlier negotiation.

I'm not only talking about him when I say pitied. I'm talking about Modano who has to feed his dog, Holik who has to buy his 3 Ferrari and all the other overpaid hockey players.

Hockey_Nut99

waffledave said:

That's hilarious. After a tax cut a lot of these guys who make the minumums till make mroe than a doctor. You do know most people don't buy a house in cash or after one years salary right? That's what a mortgage does

YellHockey*

Hockey_Nut99 said:
That's hilarious. After a tax cut a lot of these guys who make the minumums till make mroe than a doctor. You do know most people don't buy a house in cash or after one years salary right? That's what a mortgage does

A doctor has a far longer career then a hockey player. As well, a mortgage is usually longer then a hockey player's career.

How likely is a bank to give a mortgage to a hockey player when they don't have a guaranteed source of income for the next 20 years? A player's career, especially for a fringe player, can end in the blink of an eye.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Hockey_Nut99 said:

EDIT: Nevermind, BlackRedGold just said what I wanted to say

And if I had the money, I would buy a house straight up right away.

Oiler_Fan

Oct 2, 2002
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
A player's career, especially for a fringe player, can end in the blink of an eye.

I don't like it when this is used as an argument to imply some kind of entitlement. A pro hockey career is only 1 to 20 years in the life of a human being. Nothing to stop them from spending the other 30 to 50 years of their life making an honest buck to pay the mortgage.

YellHockey*

Oiler_Fan said:
I don't like it when this is used as an argument to imply some kind of entitlement. A pro hockey career is only 1 to 20 years in the life of a human being. Nothing to stop them from spending the other 30 to 50 years of their life making an honest buck to pay the mortgage.

I'm not looking at it as some kind of entitlement. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a banker.

Is he willing to take a risk to give a mortgage to a fringe NHLer? What kind of skills does that NHLer have to pay off his mortgage if his hockey career is over?

Hockey_Nut99

BlackRedGold said:
I'm not looking at it as some kind of entitlement. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a banker.

Is he willing to take a risk to give a mortgage to a fringe NHLer? What kind of skills does that NHLer have to pay off his mortgage if his hockey career is over?

Well people go become hockey players knowing it's not a life long career. That's where hockey players become responsible and make sure they have something to do after hockey.

Boilers*

A couple comercials and voila mortgage payed. Seriously though it depends on where the house is. A $250,000 house in Nashville might go for 2.1 mill in New York.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Newsguyone said:
Pitied?

Maybe he would have made less. So? If the Owners weren't hell bent on expansion, he likely would never even have made a penny of NHL money. Why complain about stuff like this? Enjoy the gravy when it's there, and move on to the ... er... brussel sprouts when it's gone.

I.am.ca

Nich said:

Didn't have a lot saved, learn better money management skills you idiot. Tired of these stupid nhl players crying about their kids, people that make 30,000 a year put aside money so their kids can be happy, these idiots make 5mill and can't do it half the time.

Jim McKenzie isn't really a franchise player so who cares, he sucks, he's old now and should retire.

petrobruin

Mar 19, 2002
London Ont.
Visit site
B.s.

BlackRedGold said:
A doctor has a far longer career then a hockey player. As well, a mortgage is usually longer then a hockey player's career.

How likely is a bank to give a mortgage to a hockey player when they don't have a guaranteed source of income for the next 20 years? A player's career, especially for a fringe player, can end in the blink of an eye.

Than all hockey players better have an education to back up there athletic talents .

Should we be sad that they decided to risk there future on a career in the NHL and than it didn't work out.

Sorry no sympathy here , try again

Petr

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
petrobruin said:
Than all hockey players better have an education to back up there athletic talents .

Should we be sad that they decided to risk there future on a career in the NHL and than it didn't work out.

Sorry no sympathy here , try again

Petr

But of course we can all get jealous when their risk pays off and they actually make money in the NHL.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
BlackRedGold said:

First of all, very few people have a guaranteed source of income for the next 20 years. So, apparently none of us are able to obtain mortgages. Hmmm ... I must have pulled a fast one on my bankers.

Regardless, the notion that professional athletes making $300K to $10 million a year struggle to get mortgages is ridiculous. The fact remains these guys make more in a year - excluding their off-ice opportunities - than most people earn in 20. Therefore, that their career lasts only a quarter of the average working man's is irrelevant. A guy who plays pro hockey on a decent level for a decade can earn $5 million. It would take the average person 100 years or more to earn that amount. Yet they want our sympathy?

But this day play into the larger point. Most of these guys have mortgages and expenses based on their expected incomes, not few thousand a month they're getting from the NHLPA or even what they're earning in Europe. As a result, there's going to be a lot of pressure on them in the coming months to get back to playing in the NHL. Either that, or we're going to have some pretty sweet garage sales coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->