This question is getting to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Kirl Koltsov was drafted in the second round but he is in the top 50 rookie list on mostly any major rookie scoutings sometimes even on a top 15 . If he was sooo good why was he drafted so late . I've heard he was suppose to be top 15 but what happened is it the same thing that happened to Pavel Bure ? ARGGGHHHHHHHH IM SOOO CONFUSED .

db23

Russian_fanatic said:
Kirl Koltsov was drafted in the second round but he is in the top 50 rookie list on mostly any major rookie scoutings sometimes even on a top 15 . If he was sooo good why was he drafted so late . I've heard he was suppose to be top 15 but what happened is it the same thing that happened to Pavel Bure ? ARGGGHHHHHHHH IM SOOO CONFUSED .

Koltsov is on the small side and has a reputation of being undisciplined. That is what dropped him into the second round. He has a world of talent, though.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Bure dropped in the draft because the Cold War was still somewhat alive, and there was no clear path for Russian players to come over to the NHL. It was a high risk pick, and teams didn't realize quite yet that the floodgates were about to open up.

Koltsov was known for having incredible wheels, but his hands were a major question and he hadn't been seen by too many scouts. He was seen as a high risk pick.

And for every Koltsov that makes the NHL, there is a Sergei Soin or Matt Elich who would be in the top 20% of NHL skaters, but just aren't that great hockey players.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Sens(e)...

He's talking about Kirill Koltsov, the Canucks defenseman prospect.

Hands are the least of his problems. In fact, he's got some of the best hands I've ever seen for a young defenseman.

db23

Vancouver picked up Bure late because the NHL had not declared him eligible for the draft. The Canucks found some obscure information that suggested he was eligible and took a chance. Initially they were considered to have defaulted the pick, but a later ruling overturned the decision in their favor. If the NHL had declared Bure eligible he would have been a top 5 pick.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Yeah, the Canucks swindled the NHL there. Bure probobly would have gone #1 overall or close to it the following year, had the Canucks not pulled that stunt.

db23

Example. Tonight in the game against Hamilton, Koltov took a slashing penalty with 2 minutes left in the game and his team trailing 4-2. Bulldogs scored on the resulting PP and put the game out of reach.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
db23 said:
Example. Tonight in the game against Hamilton, Koltov took a slashing penalty with 2 minutes left in the game and his team trailing 4-2. Bulldogs scored on the resulting PP and put the game out of reach.

I saw him play Cincinnati about a month ago. He is wonderfully talented but played as soft as butter (of course, so did Chistov). He can skate and pass with the best of them, but he just wasn't able to do much against the larger Ducks forwards. They would manhandle him in his own zone and knock him off the puck in theirs. If he puts some weight on him, he could be very respectable. He's probably closer to 5'9"-5'10" than the 6' listing HF has for him. He looked about Chistov's height, but skinnier.

One thing though, he is very dangerous with his stick (with or without the puck). He likes to use his stick to check and can be overzealous. I guess it's what leads to the stupid penalties that have been mentioned, but I just see it as very reckless and dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad