This isn't over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Rattlehead*

They should just shut the business board down. It's all the same. Every thread has optimism, and 20 people posting "it's over." Do we really need this? Can't we talk about something else?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Hedberg16 said:
I am almost willing to guarante that their will be hockey this season.
It is NOT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The deal will get done tomorrow.
Thanks for being optimistic.

Gretz and Lemieux's statements were too uplifting to say this is off. I think they are regrouping for tomorrow. The owners showed today that they are more fractured than first reported (admit it, media had them painted as the solid 30 after Panger broke the "dissention" story) and we'll see the players take their deal for the "health" of the game.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
futurcorerock said:

Gretz and Lemieux's statements were too uplifting to say this is off. I think they are regrouping for tomorrow. The owners showed today that they are more fractured than first reported (admit it, media had them painted as the solid 30 after Panger broke the "dissention" story) and we'll see the players take their deal for the "health" of the game.
What did they say?

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
if players were tuned into TSN from 6:00 to 7:00 thats our only hope that there will be some players would take a message from that and relay that to the exec commitee but i doubt it

Briannj1970

Jan 15, 2005
futurcorerock said:

Has anyone said if all of these guys have left New York? The only reason for any optimism at all is if Saskin, Daly, and the rest of these knuckleheads are still in town. Usually after something like this we get the "<fill in the name of your favorite negotiator> is flying back to <fill in the blank of some Canadian city>". If this hasn't happened then I guess there's a chance.

But like I said in another post, I'm just about done with the roller coaster ride. This is too much.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Briannj1970 said:
Has anyone said if all of these guys have left New York? The only reason for any optimism at all is if Saskin, Daly, and the rest of these knuckleheads are still in town. Usually after something like this we get the "<fill in the name of your favorite negotiator> is flying back to <fill in the blank of some Canadian city>". If this hasn't happened then I guess there's a chance.

But like I said in another post, I'm just about done with the roller coaster ride. This is too much.
I think I heard ESPN say they were leaving town, but I'm not positive.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Lou is God said:
What did he say?

It was awhile ago, but while basically turning purple he stated that the deal was not getting any better than what was on the table. He also stated that the league would be far less in the fall than it is now, and that he felt unless something got done NOW (as in by Monday) bad things would happen.

It bordered on biblical, especially the turning purple on tv part. I hope that's right, sorry if I missed or added anything it was a blur but tremendous t.v. with frayed nerves and A personalities in a dither.

SedinFan*

DownFromNJ said:
From pieces together what I've gathered from all the various media outlets, we're talking about a 2.5 million dollar difference here.

Here are the facts:

1) NHL wants 42.5 million. A good sized group of owners are willing to go higher.
2) NHLPA wants 45 million. A good sized group of players are willing to go lower.

I think the NHLPA is waiting for the NHL to cave in to their 45 million dollar offer. The NHL broke off from the meeting and said those harsh comments today to force the NHLPA to cave.

It's all posturing. I don't think they will walk away this weekend without "uncanceling" the season.

It's over man. Here's why. The NHL doesn't actually want linkage (ie full revenue sharing, so that the players can become actual partners making for a healthier league, however it is the owners fault as of right now why there is no season because they fail to want any meaningfull revenue sharing).

The second reason, since there won't be actual linkage, the NHLPA wants nothing to do with a cap.

Damphousse has come out and said many times that if the NHL wants an actual partnership, the starting basis for it is all 30 owners to be on the same page, and until that happens...the NHL will continue to go down the drain in my mind. The owners right now are greedy as hell. The players? Sure they're greedy, but they want to play some hockey.

A fair deal is out there for both parties, however the basis must start with the owners.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Theory:

Players leaked $45M, season uncancelled stuff to pressure the owners to take it. Owners don't budge, players leave, and then tomorow (or Monday) come back with an even lower number.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IF you were right about this "eleventh hour negotiation ploy" then this would be the stupidest, craziest negotiation in the history of humanity.

But you are not right.

EVERYBODY (Saskin, Gretzky, daly, Damphousse, Linden) said they aren't getting anywhere. Season's over. Accept it already.

OntCanuck

Feb 18, 2005
Simcoe, Ontario
The league has always said that revenue shareing is going to happen they just don't want to write down what it is. The PA wants a system in place that shows where the money is comming from. Although I have been pro owner through this whole thing it is one thing that annoys me. I too do not trust the owners if they won't put it in writing. Put your binding agreement where your rhetoric is and write it down. :mad:

KzooShark

Jun 3, 2004
Heck, I'm just a lurking newbie on here, but as far as Wayne and Mario's comments, I'm reading them as a pair of guys who are just joined the negotiations for the first time, saw what happenned, and saw progress, while everyone else in the room, who's been through 100 times now, saw the same old, same old.

:dunno:

A Good Flying Bird*

Egil said:
Theory:

Players leaked $45M, season uncancelled stuff to pressure the owners to take it. Owners don't budge, players leave, and then tomorow (or Monday) come back with an even lower number.

I think it's the other way around.
Several owners leaked the story. Several owners didn't want this season cancelled.
Others are content to let hockey whither and die.

Vic Rattlehead*

espion said:
IF you were right about this "eleventh hour negotiation ploy" then this would be the stupidest, craziest negotiation in the history of humanity.

But you are not right.

EVERYBODY (Saskin, Gretzky, daly, Damphousse, Linden) said they aren't getting anywhere. Season's over. Accept it already.

Season is over, but next year's isn't. I say continue the negotiations to ensure that next season will be played with NHL players instead of scabs.

greatlakeshab

Jan 26, 2005
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?! "

You know the media got it wrong then and blamed it on the Japanese :lol: :lol

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Lowetide said:
It was awhile ago, but while basically turning purple he stated that the deal was not getting any better than what was on the table. He also stated that the league would be far less in the fall than it is now, and that he felt unless something got done NOW (as in by Monday) bad things would happen.

It bordered on biblical, especially the turning purple on tv part. I hope that's right, sorry if I missed or added anything it was a blur but tremendous t.v. with frayed nerves and A personalities in a dither.
Yea, Burke was on the verge of completely losing it on Sportscentre. Criticized Healy bluntly at one point and then at another point said something to the effect of "read the tea leaves guys, make a deal NOW, if there is no deal NOW, there will be no harvest to split after the hailstorm."

(OK, I meshed together two of his quotes, but it works to much better effect)

A Good Flying Bird*

19bruins19 said:
Season is over, but next year's isn't. I say continue the negotiations to ensure that next season will be played with NHL players instead of scabs.

I could care less.

If there are no Stanley Cup playoffs, I could care less what the reckless bastards want to do with the rest of their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->