This isn't over

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
From pieces together what I've gathered from all the various media outlets, we're talking about a 2.5 million dollar difference here.

Here are the facts:

1) NHL wants 42.5 million. A good sized group of owners are willing to go higher.
2) NHLPA wants 45 million. A good sized group of players are willing to go lower.

I think the NHLPA is waiting for the NHL to cave in to their 45 million dollar offer. The NHL broke off from the meeting and said those harsh comments today to force the NHLPA to cave.

It's all posturing. I don't think they will walk away this weekend without "uncanceling" the season.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
i think you're right.

it's just too close to throw it all away.

and please, feel free to make fun of me. seriously, i deserve it. but it'll be september, and i'll still think they can do the 2004/2005 season, lol.

Crows*

But there are NHL members now being quotes as saying "its over now.. definatly over no chance"

as linden said.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
It's more then a cap number.
The PA wants a way for the cap to go up with revenues (ie upwards linkage), setting a base year to be judged against.
The NHL wants either full linkage or a static hard cap, huge difference in philosophies.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Baradin said:
I honestly believe that we are witnessing the very final gasp of breath in the soon to be lifeless corpse of the NHL.

Don't be so negative. The owners will use the "impasse" card next year early on and the majority of players will cross, the union will break and hockey will be on again.

Lanny'sDaMan

Feb 19, 2005
Calgary
Smail said:
Don't be so negative. The owners will use the "impasse" card next year early on and the majority of players will cross, the union will break and hockey will be on again.

Well, I will admit to being incredibly disappointed and pessimistic right now, but I have maintained from the very start of this entire fiasco that if the season was actually cancelled and no games were played that the NHL could NOT survive the massive financial hit it will have to take.

Crows*

deathbear said:
but why don't the players take whatever the owners give them now? they KNOW it will only get worse next year.

Time for a player vote.

Or put 300 percent luxery tax from 42-26.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I am almost willing to guarante that their will be hockey this season.
It is NOT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The deal will get done tomorrow.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
Hedberg16 said:
I am almost willing to guarante that their will be hockey this season.
It is NOT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The deal will get done tomorrow.
Encouraging, but... I am never getting my hopes up again. Well at least for the next 48 hours.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Also, its been like 2 hours since the meeting. and the NHL site still says "meeting concludes" and thats it. Pretty vague.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Alongside the cap, there are so many other issues that need to be agreed before any game can be played that I am seriously pessimistic now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->