This Is Why The NHL Is Dead/Lemieux under attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark Attack

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
bling said:
I read extensively and my impression was that the NHL Owners Group was planning to make a proposal to the NHLPA. I was quite disappointed when I realized they wished to rehash a previous proposal instead.

I do not know why so many seemed to have gotten the opposite impression about what was to happen at the meeting on Saturday the 16th of February. I am sure that we were all disappointed that no compromise was made but to have the majority of posters here come out and completely reverse the spin and change the whole impetus has me baffled.

First let get a couple of things straight, first the 16th was a Wednesday not a Saturday and Bettman cancelled the season on that date. Why would would you be under the impression that the owners were ready with another proposal (and I am assuming you meant the 19th), had they already not cancelled the season and stated they had made a final offer?

As I have read things it appears that Linden callend Wayne and Mario to get them to come to NY for a meeting. Now what is being debated is who do you believe Trent Klatt or Wayne and Mario? Duh, and please spare the well what do you expect for them to do they are owners. (That is BS and you know it.) These guys really care about the game of hockey.....

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
bling said:
Oh so sorry, I was not aware that it was a common practice here to ban posters who disagree with the majority. How foolish of me to think that a variety of opinions is welcomed on a message boards such as this.

No Problem.

Then again, i used to assume basic reading comprehension [sp?] and the ability to call a spade a spade was, as stated, an assumed tactic in the real world.....

then I saw you spin a direct quote into meaning the exact opposite of what the quote said.

So hey, Who knows?

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
mooseOAK said:
Easy on Trent, he does have three years of university education after all.

He had a major in rhetorical analysis.

:joker:

WAYNE BAD, MARIO BAD........I'm Trent Freakin Klatt Beeotch!!!

:lol

Nothing like an overweight winger with no skills taking on two of the best players of all time.

:dunce: Trent Klatt :dunce:

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
Who will save the sane?

Either bling is a thinly-veiled troll or something much worse.

mackdogs*

Wetcoaster said:
When the rubber hit the road in the playoffs the Canucks simply did not have the grit and character veterans like Klatt and Baron around to gut it out and they folded.
Sorry to go a bit off topic here but... whut? The Canucks lost in game 7 in OT to the Flames, they did not fold. And anyone with a tinge of hockey knowledge knows the major reason the Canucks were derailed is because they were lacking their second best player Todd Bertuzzi.

By your name I always thought you were a Canucks fan. Aren't you?

ps. I can't believe I just defended the nucks.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wetcoaster said:
What massive raise? Klatt was earning $900,000 and coming off a good year.

So instead Burkie signed 3rd liner Brad May for more money than he offered Klatt. :dunno: while Klatt was offered more money in LA than he would have signed to stay in Vancouver.

May ($1.1 million) clocked in with:
70G 5g 6a 11pts 137PIM

Klatt's($1.1 million) stats:
82GP 17g 26a 43pts 46PIM

Burkie also said that Murray Baron would not get the money elsewhare he was being offered to stay in Vancouver. Burke was right - the next day Baron signed for $400,000 more than the Canucks were offering.

When the rubber hit the road in the playoffs the Canucks simply did not have the grit and character veterans like Klatt and Baron around to gut it out and they folded.

No wonder Burkie was handed his walking papers. I wonder if he drove Klatt and Baron to the airport?

Of course that overlooks the basic fact that Brad May and Trent Klatt are not comparible in their roles. Klatt is not a middleweight, May is not a 3rd liner. As for Klatt's grit, that was replaced by Keane at a fraction of the price (that you somehow left off your list). You remember Keane, the guy with a bunch of Stanley Cup rings.

Baron, while a good player when here, was getting older and even slower. He is definitely not the answer to what ails the Canucks in the post season. There is a time let the old guys go. Fly be free Murray. Fly be free Bob Essensa.

Matty

May 20, 2002
Strawberry Fields
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:

So instead Burkie signed 3rd liner Brad May for more money than he offered Klatt. :dunno: while Klatt was offered more money in LA than he would have signed to stay in Vancouver.

70G 5g 6a 11pts 137PIM

82GP 17g 26a 43pts 46PIM

Burkie also said that Murray Baron would not get the money elsewhare he was being offered to stay in Vancouver. Burke was right - the next day Baron signed for $400,000 more than the Canucks were offering.

No wonder Burkie was handed his walking papers. I wonder if he drove Klatt and Baron to the airport?

May was kept because he can fight - and with no enforcer, the Canucks needed that added element.

Klatt would never have gotten the quality ice time in Vancouver than he got in LA - which means he would not have put up those points. The Canucks decided that he was no longer a good solution for the Sedins and seeing how Daniel had a great year, well, it's hard to argue.

Not to mention the Canucks then signed Arvedson to replace Klatt. And he was really starting to look good with the Sedins before he got injured.

On to Baron, where was he gonna play? Sopel/Ohlund, Jovo/Malik, Salo/Allen. I'm glad that Baron found a place where he could be helpful, but it didn't make sense for Vancouver to pay that salary for the entire year in order to be our 7th guy. And Allen needed playing time if he's ever gonna develop.

And the Canucks lost to the Wild with Baron and Klatt in the lineup - where was their grit leading us then? Not to mention, against Calgary, the loss of Bertuzzi and then Cloutier probably had a far bigger impact than the absense of Klatt and Baron...

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
bling said:
Interesting take...the way I heard it was that the players were asked who else they wanted to attend the meeting and they said Wayne and Mario. The NHL did the actual inviting at the NHLPA's behest.

As it was the NHL Owners group who called the meeting, it was understood by the NHLPA that the Owners who would be presenting an offer.

Straight from Linden's mouth:

I think it would be very helpful to the process for Bobby Clarke, who is a well-respected man in this game and who has a great hockey mind and who has run a successful business in Philadelphia, to be part of the process," said the Vancouver Canucks centre. "I think that the more people we can involve the better, and unfortunately to this date there haven't been enough of them.

"There haven't been enough presidents and GMs involved and that's really hurt the process."

That's why he asked Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux to get involved in the most recent negotiations, he said.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=116637

A Good Flying Bird*

habfan4 said:
So now Lemieux and Gretzky are either liars or misinformed - Nice!

Have another glass of Goodenow brand kool-aid Trent!!!! :shakehead

I suppose because Gretzky and Lemieux were fabulously skilled hockey players that no one should consider they might have been on the scheming side of a negotiating ploy.

These guys are on the owners side.
If they're going to start criticizing the PA in public (insinuating that it was the PA's fault for Silly Saturday), then they're going to get criticized in public.

Seriously, these guys aren't professional negotiators. Everything I've seen and read and heard makes it sound like these two really didn't have any clue what the Saturday Suckfest was all about.
Wayne kept telling everyone he talked to that he didn't know if either side was going to move.

It almost seems to me that Super Saturday was a last ditch effort by the media to squeeze these guys into a deal that no one wanted to agree to.

A Good Flying Bird*

AM said:
Mario and Gretzky would put at risk all their friends amongst the players to make the "owners" a couple million dollars more profit a year.

Give your head a shake!!

Why would they do that?

Because they are OWNERSHIP.

10 Years ago, the FOUGHT HARD AGAINST A SALARY CAP because the were PLAYERS.

I'm not saying that, in fact, they did what Klatt suggests they MAY have done.

I am simply pointing out the obvious.

A Good Flying Bird*

Thunderstruck said:
Mario and Wayne were in contact with a group of players trying to do what their executive and Goodenow had failed to do, GET A DEAL DONE. When Bob got the situation under control he snuffed out any attempt at compromise.

Goodenow "punished" Wayne and Mario by having their good names and reputations associated with that fiasco.

How? How did Bob miraculously win control back and snuff out the compromise?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:

70G 5g 6a 11pts 137PIM

82GP 17g 26a 43pts 46PIM

Who made the playoffs? Vancouver or LA?

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
how am i ever supposed to CHEER for these guys? HOW? they're all ****ing idiots, and i want them to all lose.

throw away the key until they realize just incredibly stupid they are.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
bling said:
Ah, once again those who can not formulate an intelligent thought or rebuttal must resort to insult.

Ah, once again those who can not formulate an intelligent thought or rebuttal must resort to ignoring 5 lines of a 7 line post and claim intellectual superiority.

Wetcoaster

mackdogs said:
Sorry to go a bit off topic here but... whut? The Canucks lost in game 7 in OT to the Flames, they did not fold. And anyone with a tinge of hockey knowledge knows the major reason the Canucks were derailed is because they were lacking their second best player Todd Bertuzzi.

By your name I always thought you were a Canucks fan. Aren't you?
No.

The Canucks did not have sufficient grit. They had as much or more talent than Calgary - just not the heart (and they did not have a Kiprussoff in net).

It is guys like Baron and Klatt who help you win play-off games.

Wetcoaster

Smail said:
Who made the playoffs? Vancouver or LA?
We were comparing individual players - not teams. LA had other problems such losing Deadmarsh and Allison to concussions. Not many teams can lose their top forwards and compete.

My view is that signing May instead of Klatt was a mistake. For the same money you could get a better defensive player with more offensive upside who can play as tough without taking needless penalties.

A bad decision by Burkie - just one in long line.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Shark Attack said:
First let get a couple of things straight, first the 16th was a Wednesday not a Saturday and Bettman cancelled the season on that date. Why would would you be under the impression that the owners were ready with another proposal (and I am assuming you meant the 19th), had they already not cancelled the season and stated they had made a final offer?

As I have read things it appears that Linden callend Wayne and Mario to get them to come to NY for a meeting. Now what is being debated is who do you believe Trent Klatt or Wayne and Mario? Duh, and please spare the well what do you expect for them to do they are owners. (That is BS and you know it.) These guys really care about the game of hockey.....
Yes, I made a mistake with the date of the Saturday meeting.

As I have stated before, I have read that The NHL invited Mario and Wayne at the behest of the NHLPA.

It is not any less likely that the NHL would have put an offer on the table than the NHLPA. Both had claimed to have made their last proposal. From Wednesday to Friday there was purported to be a lot of possible player/owner private discussions that were rumored to have resulted in the "agreement in principal" on the $45 million cap. It is just as feasable to presume that the NHL Owners called the meeting as is is to assume it was the NHLPA.

As far as who is being untruthful in the matter of Mario/Wayne vs. Trent Klatt, I am sorry that I do not worship your hockey gods. Any of the three is as likely as another to misrepresent the truth for personal advantage.

Call me all the names you like but that will not change the fact that you are putting your own emotionally charged presumptions of sainthood for Mario and Wayne ahead of rational thought.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
kolanos said:
Who will save the sane?

Either bling is a thinly-veiled troll or something much worse.

Again with the name calling...why must negative aspersions be cast on one who's opinion differs from yours?

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
I believe one of the major sticking points re: re-signing klatt was the length of the deal. did he not get 3 years in LA? i believe the canucks had offered him a one year deal.

as far as baron goes, by all means, give him your money. i was tired of seeing forwards skate past him anyways.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
We were comparing individual players - not teams. LA had other problems such losing Deadmarsh and Allison to concussions. Not many teams can lose their top forwards and compete.

My view is that signing May instead of Klatt was a mistake. For the same money you could get a better defensive player with more offensive upside who can play as tough without taking needless penalties.

A bad decision by Burkie - just one in long line.

Hockey is a team game. You can put together 30 good individuals (Rags) and not do a thing. You can't judge players by stats alone, you have to take into consideration what they bring to the whole team. How a player fits on a team, etc.

If you go by what Klatt said, I wouldn't want him on my team either, regardless of what he brings.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
bling said:
Yes, I made a mistake with the date of the Saturday meeting.

As I have stated before, I have read that The NHL invited Mario and Wayne at the behest of the NHLPA.
And you seem to be the only person who beleives this. And I guess we'll take your word over Wayne's and Mario's.

It is not any less likely that the NHL would have put an offer on the table than the NHLPA. Both had claimed to have made their last proposal. From Wednesday to Friday there was purported to be a lot of possible player/owner private discussions that were rumored to have resulted in the "agreement in principal" on the $45 million cap. It is just as feasable to presume that the NHL Owners called the meeting as is is to assume it was the NHLPA.
Nope. The league already gave their final offer and officially canceled the F***ing season. Do you really think they would then come back 3 days later and say "Never Mind".

Look back at all the stories - the THN story that started this mess, Panger's reports on ESPN, TSN, etc, they all reported sources ON THE PLAYERS' SIDE as saying a deal was possible / imminent / agreed in principle / done deal. Now maybe they werent "official" NHLPA sources, but they were on the players side. I dare you to find one story leading up to the Saturday meeting (other than press releases from Goodenow / Saskin about how the League invited them because we asked them to) that says that the meeting was triggered by a request from the owners.

As far as who is being untruthful in the matter of Mario/Wayne vs. Trent Klatt, I am sorry that I do not worship your hockey gods. Any of the three is as likely as another to misrepresent the truth for personal advantage.
Why would Wayne or Mario risk the damage to their reputations and public embarassment by doing so.

Trent Klatt, on the other hand, who the F*** cares about his reputation.

Call me all the names you like but that will not change the fact that you are putting your own emotionally charged presumptions of sainthood for Mario and Wayne ahead of rational thought.

I really hate feeding the trolls, but what color is the sky on your world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->