This Is Why The NHL Is Dead/Lemieux under attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

bling said:
Again..the "some players" thing. I have no doubt that some players did feel as you have stated. But they were not the ones that were charged with making those decisions.

Your assumptions, stated as fact, regarding Goodenow's punishment of Mario and Wayne is quite laughable too. Those guys are Owners, how is anything Bob says or does going to be considered punishment to them?

Mario and Wayne were in contact with a group of players trying to do what their executive and Goodenow had failed to do, GET A DEAL DONE. When Bob got the situation under control he snuffed out any attempt at compromise.

Goodenow "punished" Wayne and Mario by having their good names and reputations associated with that fiasco.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
bling said:
As it was the NHL Owners group who called the meeting, it was understood by the NHLPA that the Owners who would be presenting an offer.

Does the PA not read any form of news media, or watch any TV at all, or listen to the radio.... THEY HAD to know that it was expected that they would be giving the offer...even if the NHL was the side that leaked it.... the PA could have come out and made it known Friday night that they had no intention of making an offer.. thus either ending the Sat meeting before it started... or at least changing the shocking turn of events Sat. into something more expected...

I just have a hard time understanding how EVERYONE in the media knew a players offer was coming that would likely be accepted by the ownership group if at least the concept of an offer was not let out through some player leaks to media contacts...

:help:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Everyone here who would be sorry to see Trent Klatt remain in the UHL even after the NHL starts, hands up!

<deafening silence>

SENSible1*

Weary said:
It's pretty bad when a newspaper can't even keep its bias out of the headlines.

One would think that the first line should be:
"Lemieux under attack from Klatt"

Or the last line should be:
"League takes a shot at Goodenow"

Since Klatt is a member of the executive and therefor can be seen as speaking on the PA's behalf, the Lemieux under attack from PA would have been an accurate description.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Pepper said:
Everyone here who would be sorry to see Trent Klatt remain in the UHL even after the NHL starts, hands up!

<deafening silence>
Raising ones hand does not make any noise.....what is your point?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Klatt is a real hardliner within the 'PA's executive. He has been very outspoken and negative throughout this whole affair. Given that he could easily be replaced by a rookie out of the Western League, no wonder he likes the status quo so much...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
What do you think they'd say if asked to get involved again?

Why would you want to alienate these two?

The NHLPA appears to be adopting an us against the world mentality.

mooseOAK*

Easy on Trent, he does have three years of university education after all.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Drury_Sakic said:
Does the PA not read any form of news media, or watch any TV at all, or listen to the radio.... THEY HAD to know that it was expected that they would be giving the offer...even if the NHL was the side that leaked it.... the PA could have come out and made it known Friday night that they had no intention of making an offer.. thus either ending the Sat meeting before it started... or at least changing the shocking turn of events Sat. into something more expected...

I just have a hard time understanding how EVERYONE in the media knew a players offer was coming that would likely be accepted by the ownership group if at least the concept of an offer was not let out through some player leaks to media contacts...

:help:

I read extensively and my impression was that the NHL Owners Group was planning to make a proposal to the NHLPA. I was quite disappointed when I realized they wished to rehash a previous proposal instead.

I do not know why so many seemed to have gotten the opposite impression about what was to happen at the meeting on Saturday the 16th of February. I am sure that we were all disappointed that no compromise was made but to have the majority of posters here come out and completely reverse the spin and change the whole impetus has me baffled.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
What Clarke said is a joke really though. I hate Goodenow but what he said was UNTRUE. How does Goodenow control the NHL? I'm sorry but Goodenow was right when he responded with BETTMAN is the one who markets the game and does the rule changes, not Goodenow. But you should expect this from Clarke since he always says stupid crap to go along with his crappy overrated career.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Trent Klatt..Trent Klatt ....!!! The point is that this piece of excrement who is only in the NHL because there is 30 teams, is out shooting his mouth off about 2 guys who are absolute legends. Klatt couldn't even carry one of their bags even into the rink. He is a nobody, yet he has the audacity to open his mouth and spew this garbage and call them liars. Don't you see....the writing on the wall..the PA is just a laughing stock !! This rhetoric is from a guy who will probably never skate another shift in the NHL. Hello PA WAKE UP !!! Trent Klatt ?? UNBELIEVABLE !

SENSible1*

bling said:
I read extensively and my impression was that the NHL Owners Group was planning to make a proposal to the NHLPA. I was quite disappointed when I realized they wished to rehash a previous proposal instead.

Read extensively where, the NHLPA website?

Please provide links to back up this claim.

All indications were that a splinter group of players and agents in the PA were trying to get Linden and co. to put a new offer on the table at $45.

I do not know why so many seemed to have gotten the opposite impression about what was to happen at the meeting on Saturday the 16th of February. I am sure that we were all disappointed that no compromise was made but to have the majority of posters here come out and completely reverse the spin and change the whole impetus has me baffled.
You are baffled because you are completely misinformed.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Larionov said:
Klatt is a real hardliner within the 'PA's executive. He has been very outspoken and negative throughout this whole affair. Given that he could easily be replaced by a rookie out of the Western League, no wonder he likes the status quo so much...

Klatt doesn't know his *ss from page 6. He will never skate another shift in the NHL when it returns.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
I'm sorry but Goodenow was right when he responded with BETTMAN is the one who markets the game and does the rule changes, not Goodenow.

So when the NHLPA filed a grieveance when the NHL put forth the idea of narrowing goalie pads to increase scoring in an attempt to increase the game's appeal, what was that, exactly?

The NHLPA may have been silent for most of the marketing decisions and rule changes, but IMO that's more a sign of silent consent than a sign of powerlessness. I don't recall as much as a peep from them when the NHL was giving away expansion franchises like cars at a "NO CREDIT REFUSED" car lot run out of a single wide trailer. Yet now they complain about NHL expansion.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
habfan4 said:
So now Lemieux and Gretzky are either liars or misinformed - Nice!

Have another glass of Goodenow brand kool-aid Trent!!!! :shakehead

Don't be ridiculous. There is a third explanation that it most likely the right one - there was simply a misunderstanding.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Thunderstruck said:
Klatt would rather call two of the greatest hockey players and former PA bretheren LIARS rather than face the reality of Goodenow's dispicable backstabbing of those legends.

The fact that he has a voice on the executive is frightening.

Yep. This is just sad. :shakehead

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
bling said:

I don't know where you got that from.. but I cannot argue my point either since EVERY site I went to took down, or radically changed their articles from between the 16-22

:lol

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
bling said:
I read extensively and my impression was that the NHL Owners Group was planning to make a proposal to the NHLPA.

where did you read this?

bling said:
I was quite disappointed when I realized they wished to rehash a previous proposal instead.

it was the NHLPA who wanted to "rehash a previous proposal"...

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Read extensively where, the NHLPA website?

Please provide links to back up this claim.

All indications were that a splinter group of players and agents in the PA were trying to get Linden and co. to put a new offer on the table at $45. You are baffled because you are completely misinformed.
I can make unsubstaniated claims as easily as you can. I read numerous media sources as I am sure you did as well, unfortunately that information that we both read to back up our opinions is not readily available anymore.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
bling said:
Again..the "some players" thing. I have no doubt that some players did feel as you have stated. But they were not the ones that were charged with making those decisions.
Your assumptions, stated as fact, regarding Goodenow's punishment of Mario and Wayne is quite laughable too. Those guys are Owners, how is anything Bob says or does going to be considered punishment to them?

Im curious.....just who do you think Mario and Wayne were talking to? Do you really think they fly to NY and go through with this meeting after talking with Jason Doig and Donald Brashear?...common sense will tell you whoever they spoke to had enough credibility to get them to attend

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Whats with all these Canuckleheads?

Did Burke rub them the wrong way in Vancouver so that they are all suddenly hardline union members????

you've got nazzy, linden and now klatt.. who's next? cloutier?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
bling said:
I can make unsubstaniated claims as easily as you can. I read numerous media sources as I am sure you did as well, unfortunately that information that we both read to back up our opinions is not readily available anymore.

Your claims are absolutly idiotic. The known hockey world was sitting on pins and needles on friday the 15th as word leaked out from "players" that a deal was done at $45 million and that there was a meeting on saturday to confirm it.

go back and look this stuff up son or does mom shut the computer off at bedtime.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Mothra said:
Im curious.....just who do you think Mario and Wayne were talking to? Do you really think they fly to NY and go through with this meeting after talking with Jason Doig and Donald Brashear?...common sense will tell you whoever they spoke to had enough credibility to get them to attend
Gary Bettman invited Wayne and Mario at the NHLPA's behest.
Wayne claimed on the Friday before that the only player he had spoken to was Shane Doan, did Shane have the authority to offer information on possible NHLPA proposals? :dunno:

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Chayos1 said:
Your claims are absolutly idiotic. The known hockey world was sitting on pins and needles on friday the 15th as word leaked out from "players" that a deal was done at $45 million and that there was a meeting on saturday to confirm it.

go back and look this stuff up son or does mom shut the computer off at bedtime.

I agree totally that that information was supposedly leaked out. I don't think I have ever said anything to deny that. The issue is who leaked and why as this was obviously untrue.

Both sides agreed after the fact that no such definitive proposal was made by either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->