This is where the Russians go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
McGuillicuddy said:
Don't be arrogant. Now, certainly the world has benefitted tremendously from Russian hockey. A great many innovations have come out of Russia since she seriously took up the game. But lets make one thing perfectly clear. Russia has never been the greatest hockey nation on earth, and it sure as hell has never been her "proper spot".

I agree: Red Ace must be an idiot to try to claim the sport that Canada owns, and that is made larger than life by big Canadian hearts, and the otherway around. Stupid him

Macman

May 15, 2004
SENATOR said:
Winning all those Olympics and Championships make people think.

Yeah, it made Canadians think: "Gee, I wish the IOC and IIHF would let us send our best players like the Russians, Czechs, Swedes and Finns get to do. Instead we're stuck with the Trail Smoke Eaters."

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Macman said:
Yeah, it made Canadians think: "Gee, I wish the IOC and IIHF would let us send our best players like the Russians, Czechs, Swedes and Finns get to do. Instead we're stuck with the Trail Smoke Eaters."

You always had limited number of good players in the league. 1972 proved it. 1974 just put an exclamation point to it. Oilers who had just four, up to the russian standarts players in Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Fuhr were just killing the talentless league. Your games were a snooze fest before Russians and other europeans came to the NHL. If you even put a gun to my head, I would never watch anything you are calling the classic hockey. No skills, total crap, crap.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Den said:
You are right about the television though :biglaugh:

The television was classic. :jump:

Include radio as well. Or you did not know that? Even the phone was invented by an italian marconi, not bell. You you did not know that either :yo:

Guglielmo Marconi, an Italian inventor, proved the feasibility of radio and phone communication. He sent and received his first radio signal in Italy in 1895. By 1899 he flashed the first wireless signal across the English Channel and two years later received the letter "S", telegraphed from England to Newfoundland. This was the first successful transatlantic radiotelegraph message in 1902.

It was this radio signal detection apparatus that Popov demonstrated to the members of the Russian Physical and Chemical Society on May 7, 1895. On this day, Alexander Popov presented a demonstration which would become recognized as an historic achievement. This demonstration, together with another by Popov which reportedly took place the following year, eventually would produce controversy among historians concerning whether the credit for "inventing" radio or phone should be given to Marconi, Popov or Nikola Tesla

Nikola Tesla is now credited with having inventing modern radio; the American Supreme Court overturned Marconi's patent in 1943 in favor of Tesla.) :clap:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
SENATOR said:
You always had limited number of good players in the league. 1972 proved it. 1974 just put an exclamation point to it. Oilers who had just four, up to the russian standarts players in Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Fuhr were just killing the talentless league. Your games were a snooze fest before Russians and other europeans came to the NHL. If you even put a gun to my head, I would never watch anything you are calling the classic hockey. No skills, total crap, crap.
This is funny. Last year, thanks to the lock-out we got the chance to watch European Hockey in bunches (Swdedish league, RSL, Finland..) and let me tell you that i found it quite boring. No grit, no hits, no offense, a lot of trapping, not many great plays where u had to wait for a powerplay to see one. The beauty of todays game comes from the mix of European Hockey and NA hockey. The two style learned a lot from each others.

tony2532

Jun 3, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie, On
SENATOR said:

What are you smoking?

In 1972 we had a bunch of Canadian players who were out of shape at the start of the games and came back to win in Moscow.

You are not serious about 1974. That WHA team was not even our C team.

It's amazing that we win all these tournaments with no skill at all. :dunno:

jatt13

Dec 26, 2005
tony2532 said:
What are you smoking?

In 1972 we had a bunch of Canadian players who were out of shape at the start of the games and came back to win in Moscow.

You are not serious about 1974. That WHA team was not even our C team.

It's amazing that we win all these tournaments with no skill at all. :dunno:

excellent point....it was early september and our players did not play all summer while the russians where in excellent shape...it also didnt hurt that the russians played and practised together....but all this doesnt matter becuase we all know the end result

Macman

May 15, 2004
SENATOR said:
You always had limited number of good players in the league. 1972 proved it.

Um, Canada won in 1972. You sure showed me.

SENATOR said:
1974 just put an exclamation point to it.

Um, that wasn't the NHL. Keep it up, though, you're killing me.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
All I have to say is that if Canada has always been that great hockey nation uncontested by anyone else even during the Soviet period of dominance, the 50 year gold medal drought, and the hardly mentioned vs NHL competitions that Russia won...

Well all Canadians should stop playing hockey, you are the best, no need to give anyone else credit or play any hockey games as we all know nobody is better than Canada, has ever been, or ever will be.

(Canada is great, but apparently the 2002 gold got to some Canadian homer's heads... hopefully we will get another 1998 for some Canadian fans to return to Earth from above the clouds)

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
tony2532 said:

after headhunting Russia's best player out of the tournament :biglaugh:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
SENATOR said:
The television was classic. :jump:

Include radio as well. Or you did not know that? Even the phone was invented by an italian marconi, not bell. You you did not know that either :yo:

Marconi did not invent the telephone, he invented the radio. Big difference.

And Bell wasn't Canadian either, so your point is moot.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
A World Junior thread that includes refrences to Marconi and Alexander Graham Bell has obviously taken a serious turn in the wrong direction. Hard to salvage it after that.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
jcpenny said:
This is funny. Last year, thanks to the lock-out we got the chance to watch European Hockey in bunches (Swdedish league, RSL, Finland..) and let me tell you that i found it quite boring. No grit, no hits, no offense, a lot of trapping, not many great plays where u had to wait for a powerplay to see one. The beauty of todays game comes from the mix of European Hockey and NA hockey. The two style learned a lot from each others.

Where did you watch RSL and SM-League? I caught quite a bit of Swedish hockey on TV, it was not NHL, but quite entertaining in its way.. But I would agree that a little more physical play would do in Euro hockey. But, as I was saying, I think RSL and SM are getting more physical year by year: the Finns because there's quite a bit of Canadian influence, we - because we were not succesfull against the Finns in late 90's. so we had to adjust...

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
A World Junior thread that includes refrences to Marconi and Alexander Graham Bell has obviously taken a serious turn in the wrong direction. Hard to salvage it after that.

:clap: But it kind of starts with the thread title...

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Siberian said:
Wrong! Can't really beat the referee and the officials. The count I made after carefully studying the game was Russia should have had 16 penalty minutes and Canada 30 instead of 20 and 14. Russian team was fine until the ref interefered and started giving phantom calls and not notice canadian penalties. Russia should not change a thing in their game.

The count I carefully took had Russia getting 400 penalty minutes and Canada having zero.

But you're right, Russia shouldn't change their game if they're happy getting blown out.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Macman said:

I hope you read that link carefully, did you? You can also drum it up on Wiki to expand your horizons. I was certainly stretching it a bit as there was no single inventor of TV, but it was rather imprudent of you to bring up something which can be even marginally true. But enough of this BS, as the previous poster noted this is getting pathetic... I am done

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
therealdeal said:
The count I carefully took had Russia getting 400 penalty minutes and Canada having zero.

But you're right, Russia shouldn't change their game if they're happy getting blown out.

This is the embodyment of a phenomenon of a sore winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad