Speculation: This is now the trade thread.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Tatar at C?

Tatar is a winger. Vegas has way too many wingers as is and a lot of wingers got traded today for far less and they were just as good or better than Tatar's production. Tartar is fast and will see his numbers improve with this team. It's not a horrible trade, but it is a head scratcher because they already have a lot of good wingers and Hyka showed some promise not to mention that Suzuki could be ready next year. Reaves is almost guaranteed to be a scratch now unless the team really feels that they need to goon some team in retaliation for something that happened in a prior playoff game.

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Carpy should definitely be in over Eakin it’s stupid to take out a player who is producing.

Also Han Solo did you just call my boy Leipsic meh... I hereby challenge you good sir to a duel.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Tatar is a winger. Vegas has way too many wingers as is and a lot of wingers got traded today for far less and they were just as good or better than Tatar's production. Tartar is fast and will see his numbers improve with this team. It's not a horrible trade, but it is a head scratcher because they already have a lot of good wingers and Hyka showed some promise not to mention that Suzuki could be ready next year. Reaves is almost guaranteed to be a scratch now unless the team really feels that they need to goon some team in retaliation for something that happened in a prior playoff game.

That alone is worth 2 million in salary cap and a distant prospect. The 4th rounder was a bonus.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Tatar hedges the potential that one of Neal or Perron leaves.

They are pending UFA’s, and McPhee knows evactly what they are looking for in regards to a contract. That could possibly be a big sign one of them intends on going to the market.

But I don’t see Tatar’s numbers going up over his current average. 20/20 is absolutely great production for a 3LW, and if he gets moved into the top 6, he can score 25+ again over his contract.

I know he’s quick, but I’ve also read he’s pretty decent defensively and a quality locker room guy. It’s not like Vegas just brought in Kane who could potentially drag locker room more down.

Just having someone to take some pressure off Tuch and maybe finish some of his plays definintely helps this team now and in the future.

Replacing Eakin next year and possibly buying him out or retaining 50% for a late pick is not a bad thing at all if Glass or Suzuki force their way into the team.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Tatar hedges the potential that one of Neal or Perron leaves.

They are pending UFA’s, and McPhee knows evactly what they are looking for in regards to a contract. That could possibly be a big sign one of them intends on going to the market.

But I don’t see Tatar’s numbers going up over his current average. 20/20 is absolutely great production for a 3LW, and if he gets moved into the top 6, he can score 25+ again over his contract.

I know he’s quick, but I’ve also read he’s pretty decent defensively and a quality locker room guy. It’s not like Vegas just brought in Kane who could potentially drag locker room more down.

Just having someone to take some pressure off Tuch and maybe finish some of his plays definintely helps this team now and in the future.

Replacing Eakin next year and possibly buying him out or retaining 50% for a late pick is not a bad thing at all if Glass or Suzuki force their way into the team.

I'm hopeful for all this but seems unlikely guys 19 and 20 years old are ready for a top team when they are preparing in juniors. I think they will get seasoned in Chicago first because there is no need to rush.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
NHL Network Radio looks at the Winners and losers of the 2018 NHL Trade Deadline

SXM looks at trade deadline fallout.

Speculates that Neal will be moving on this summer, so that was the primary reason VGK got Tatar.
I think Neal's agent taking the Graney interview a month ago shows that they're not as close as we'd like to an extension, so it makes sense that Tatar is a Neal replacement.

At the same time, we're really missing Neal. I wouldn't give him the term he likely wants, but I might overpay a little to keep him here for three years.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I'm hopeful for all this but seems unlikely guys 19 and 20 years old are ready for a top team when they are preparing in juniors. I think they will get seasoned in Chicago first because there is no need to rush.

I would love to see this team go outside that box. If they could throw 3d and 4th line spots away on the Leipsics, Lindbergs, and Eakins of the world, a Glass and/or Suzuki could get far better development on an NHL line than with the Wolves. They wouldn't even be close to the youngest to start an NHL game, either.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Wow, Leipsic had a great game for the Canucks, 2 assists and probably 5 or 6 shots on goal. Was on the ice for the OT goal against, but looked pretty good on their top line.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I would love to see this team go outside that box. If they could throw 3d and 4th line spots away on the Leipsics, Lindbergs, and Eakins of the world, a Glass and/or Suzuki could get far better development on an NHL line than with the Wolves. They wouldn't even be close to the youngest to start an NHL game, either.

AHL is better at developing players than the NHL. Not that they would have to stay there long, but half to a full season getting their 2-way game down and better fitting into an NHL system on both ends of the ice will pay long term dividends. Plus there are a number of benefits for the team if a player is held back a little longer. The only way guys this age coming straight out of junior should be playing is if they are overwhelmingly better than NHL roster players and this is why its usually on bad teams that the youngest players get to play.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
AHL is better at developing players than the NHL. Not that they would have to stay there long, but half to a full season getting their 2-way game down and better fitting into an NHL system on both ends of the ice will pay long term dividends. Plus there are a number of benefits for the team if a player is held back a little longer. The only way guys this age coming straight out of junior should be playing is if they are overwhelmingly better than NHL roster players and this is why its usually on bad teams that the youngest players get to play.
None of them will be eligible to play in the AHL next year except Brannstrom and he will probably be NHL or Sweden. For Glass, Suzuki and Hague it will be NHL or Juniors.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
A #6 overall pick almost always makes the NHL in their draft +2 season. That would be next season for those guys.

If you aren’t in the NHL in the D+2 season drafted that early, the bust talk starts to come into conversation. Look how much crap Dylan Strome gets for not making the NHL full time now in his 3rd year post draft.

Glass doesn’t have any of the issues Strome has that is keeping him in the minors. Glass is stronger, has a much better defensive game, and brings it every night.

I would bet money Glass is the 3C next year and has a good rookie year. ~30 points while getting the rare special teams ice would be outstanding.

With the stats Suzuki is putting up, he could possibly make the team too. When you are a top 5 scorer in your league two years in a row, there’s not that much more you can learn there. He could possibly make the team on the wing. That’s a huge infusion of skill in the bottom six for this team.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
A #6 overall pick almost always makes the NHL in their draft +2 season. That would be next season for those guys.

If you aren’t in the NHL in the D+2 season drafted that early, the bust talk starts to come into conversation. Look how much crap Dylan Strome gets for not making the NHL full time now in his 3rd year post draft.

Glass doesn’t have any of the issues Strome has that is keeping him in the minors. Glass is stronger, has a much better defensive game, and brings it every night.

I would bet money Glass is the 3C next year and has a good rookie year. ~30 points while getting the rare special teams ice would be outstanding.

With the stats Suzuki is putting up, he could possibly make the team too. When you are a top 5 scorer in your league two years in a row, there’s not that much more you can learn there. He could possibly make the team on the wing. That’s a huge infusion of skill in the bottom six for this team.

They tend to make their respective clubs within 2 years because normally when a team drafts that high they're desperate for help and roster spots are available.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->