Speculation: This is now the trade thread.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Other than my cousin who plays MLB, this is the first trade deadline that I feel like I actually have a stake in since I go to all the games. It is thrilling and confusing (mostly because I am still unfamiliar with a lot of players).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Excuse me if I'm ignorant on this, but if we did get Karlsson, why couldn't we sign him to an 8 year deal to bring down the cap hit? Wouldn't we be re-signing him in this scenario?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Excuse me if I'm ignorant on this, but if we did get Karlsson, why couldn't we sign him to an 8 year deal to bring down the cap hit? Wouldn't we be re-signing him in this scenario?

Cap in hockey is completely different than the NFL. The NHL works on a Annual Average Value scale. AAV. The cap hit is averaged over the life of the deal. The intention is to keep a level playing field among small markets.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas

I brought up the 7 years because I believe if it’s a sign and trade type deal in the summer, he wouldn’t qualify for the 8th year with Vegas since he never actually played for them yet.

If he’s traded for before 11 pacific tomorrow, I do think he qualifies for that extra year in the summer since he’s actual Vegas property.

I am very far from a CBA expert, so someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in here.

Maybe if Ottawa technically puts the ink on the contract this summer pending a trade, he might qualify? I really don’t know.

I really would prefer a move in the summer for contract assurance / chemistry reasons, but adding Karlsson injured or not for this coming run would do nothing but improve this team.

He was technically more injured last playoffs, and he almost singlehandedly dragged Ottawa to a cup finals. I think in the playoffs we would see a version of Erik we haven’t seen this year so far.

It’s still a huge risk to trade a ton of Vegas’s long term future away, but when a franchise player is in his prime and available, you just have to go for it sometimes. I’d rather take a run at the Cup the next two years over having a lot of question marks + Theodore (assuming its a futures package)

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I brought up the 7 years because I believe if it’s a sign and trade type deal in the summer, he wouldn’t qualify for the 8th year with Vegas since he never actually played for them yet.

If he’s traded for before 11 pacific tomorrow, I do think he qualifies for that extra year in the summer since he’s actual Vegas property.

I am very far from a CBA expert, so someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in here.

Maybe if Ottawa technically puts the ink on the contract this summer pending a trade, he might qualify? I really don’t know.

I really would prefer a move in the summer for contract assurance / chemistry reasons, but adding Karlsson injured or not for this coming run would do nothing but improve this team.

He was technically more injured last playoffs, and he almost singlehandedly dragged Ottawa to a cup finals. I think in the playoffs we would see a version of Erik we haven’t seen this year so far.

It’s still a huge risk to trade a ton of Vegas’s long term future away, but when a franchise player is in his prime and available, you just have to go for it sometimes. I’d rather take a run at the Cup the next two years over having a lot of question marks + Theodore (assuming its a futures package)

Karlsson played better injured before surgery than post surgery. Any team trading for him is flat out gambling that he will recover. It's not a risk I would want Vegas to make with the way he's playing right now. Imagine him making 11 to 12 million for 7 years playing how he's playing this season? That would easily be one of the overpaid contracts.

There's a time to take a risk and a time to play it safe. This is the time to play it safe given what it would cost to acquire him with no guarantee that he's even close to the player he was.

If GMGM wants to go for it this year then trade for a sure thing. In fact Brassard was the player he should have traded for. Yes he was a knight for a few minutes, but he would look good next to Tuch. Eakin just hasn't performed as expected and is really the biggest weakness on the team. I still have hope that Perri will get a chance and take over 3c duties with Tuch and Hyka flanking him. I still can't see Reaves taking a spot on the 4th line in the playoffs when Bellemare is back. Nosek and Carpenter are also playing very well and shouldn't lose their jobs just to have an enforcer in the lineup. And he cost the blues a possible playoff win by taking a stupid penalty against the preds last year by being too much of a tough guy. He has a good rep of being a good guy which is nice and all, but if he's playing in the playoffs, then he's taking a spot of a player that could contribute more offensively. If having a goon was so important then why are they becoming an endangered species? I don't see all of the other top teams having a goon on their teams so why does Vegas suddenly need one?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Reminder in case you haven't seen it:

TSN's Tradecentre/er will be on WatchESPN.com this morning, and on ESPN2 after the deadline. Just in case Twitter, HFVegas, and Reddit aren't enough.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
For those who aren't used to trade deadline day, sometimes trades come in before the 12pm deadline but aren't announced/official until up to a couple of hours after the deadline. It could be 1 or 2 before we know if everything is done.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Doesn't look like Karlsson is being traded today. I guess Ottawa came to their senses.

I don't know if Ottawa came to their senses. I think they overvalued him and asked more than anyone was willing to pony up. He would be a nice add to any defense, but not worth ripping a team apart to get.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Hartman - anybody - Tuch would’ve been a really good third line.

Hartman is a little ball of energy like Gallagher in Montreal, though less skilled but tougher.

He is also young and cost controlled for a couple more years. A first round pick? I might’ve pulled the trigger to fix the 3rd line.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hartman - anybody - Tuch would’ve been a really good third line.

Hartman is a little ball of energy like Gallagher in Montreal, though less skilled but tougher.

He is also young and cost controlled for a couple more years. A first round pick? I might’ve pulled the trigger to fix the 3rd line.

They'll probably opt for Wingels at a cheaper price tag.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Evander Kane of Sabres to Ducks could be a potential disrupter of Pacific Division.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Tomas Tatar to Vegas. Not a rental at all with 3 more years IIRC.
Good second line goal scorer should fit in to Vegas’s uptempto game.
He won’t move Perron down the lineup, and the first line has way too much chemistry to disrupt, so I think we found Tuch’s opposite winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad