Post-Game Talk: This Is Not The Day I Die - Jets 4 Blues 0

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The worst was when he called that beauty from Morrissey to Chef a "bit of a greasy goal". Totally dominant game by Morrissey and nice to see the old Laine back
We were hosting a Christmas party so I had to watch the whole thing muted. That was probably the better experience...even our guests who weren't avid hockey fans were ooh-ing and ah-ing at that goal.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Trouba has a bit of Bogosian in him. Just a bit.

Body-Language-Interview-Tips.jpg

;)

Reactions: Snot Rocket

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Morrissey's market is pretty defined so its a fairly safe bet He's getting between 5 and 5.5 on a long term deal. Given the way he's played this season he will likely be at the top end of it with Slavin 7 at 5.4 or Lindholm 6 and 5.3 as his closest comparibles.

Trouba i have no idea what he will sign for. Given how he's played he should be looking at around 6 per year given his arb rights and RFA years left.

I agree with this all. which is why I'm super happy i think we will get both for under 14 Mil. I've always liked Chevy but the way he has structured our cap situation is remarkable. With Chef, Ehlers and Little signed he still has plenty of room for Laine/Connor/Wheeler.

Excellent.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
JoMo, Troubs, Laine, Helly, Lowry all looked good tonight. Scheif and Little looked like bums again. Tough to win when your top two C are taking the night off, but we managed tonight.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Just saying that if we’re being honest, can any of us say that we’re thrilled with his progress from what we saw of him the first year?
He looked to be an absolute stud but hasn’t turned out to be quite the superstar we thought.
While on the other hand, Morrissey continues to get better and better.

Reactions: GNP and Skidooboy

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
JoMo, Troubs, Laine, Helly, Lowry all looked good tonight. Scheif and Little looked like bums again. Tough to win when your top two C are taking the night off, but we managed tonight.
Really wanna see Little get going. Guy's a big part of the team- would like to see him reunited with Wheeler. Why not give it a try...

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
just finished watching the game on pvr, man what complete domination. this is how last game would have went if not for the first stupid penalty call goal that changed all the outcome. Helly was awesomely boring i bet some objective guy out there is punching holes in his wall :)

CLT was absolutley flying crashing and causing havoc man i hate that its hard to enjoy them because it gives less ice time to frenchie and army but i like winning and they deserve the time they have been getting.

laine was determend to score today clda had 3 or 4!

josh the more i see the more i see $$$ in his future!

WE WON!
GO JETS GO

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I agree with this all. which is why I'm super happy i think we will get both for under 14 Mil. I've always liked Chevy but the way he has structured our cap situation is remarkable. With Chef, Ehlers and Little signed he still has plenty of room for Laine/Connor/Wheeler.

Excellent.

If Morrissey signs for ~5.3x7 (my prediction) then we will have our 2011 (MS @6.1x8), 2013 (JM @5.3 x7) and 2014 (NE @ 6x7) first-rounders all signed long-term. Only Trouba will left out of the order. Given that he is no better than than any of the others at his position, if he wants to play in Winnipeg, there is a natural landing spot for him---but nowhere near the $8M level that was bandied around by some generous souls just months ago.

In a hypothetical best case scenario, where Scheifele's brain was transplanted into Trouba's head and Scheifele's father swapped minds withTrouba Sr-- we could have both for <$12M AAV. ;)

Reactions: GNP

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Just saying that if we’re being honest, can any of us say that we’re thrilled with his progress from what we saw of him the first year?
He looked to be an absolute stud but hasn’t turned out to be quite the superstar we thought.

It's a classic case of athletic gifts muddying up the waters. Players like E. Kane, Bogosian, and possibly Trouba are so freakishly athletic from a young age that you project greatness based on that. Kane even got a ridiculous 6 million dollar contract because of it, which at the time looked like it was going to be a steal for a perennial 40 goal scorer. Players like Scheifele and Morrissey aren't as athletically gifted and it takes more time for their superior IQ to become apparent. If you held a gun to my head and said pick Trouba or Morrissey I take Morrissey all day every day.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm not sure what there is to not be thrilled about with his development. He looked dynamic his rookie year partly because he was going against soft opposition. His more risky style did also result in him giving up a lot going the other way as well. He's toned down his recklessness for a more solid all around game. He's developed into a physical top pairing dmen that can play against the other teams best. He also generally scores quite well at ES for a dmen. While he has been a bit up and down this year he's really developed just about as well as could be hoped or expected.

Edit: I also think Trouba has a decent amount more hockey sense than either Kane or Bogo. Bogo was a ok number 3 at his peak but has been a third pair guy for most of his career.

Reactions: 204hockey

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Sat beside a guy that complained about Trouba all night long.....I cudda thrown him onto the ice.
8 and 44 looked really good as did Lowry, Armia, Ehlers, Laine, Kuli and MP. Helle was a wall and really deserved that goose egg.
Everyone still want to can Maurice, Huddy, Flaherty and every body else or did the get a one day reprieve?

Hey-that was me Ducky sitting beside you--I was just testing you to see how mad you'd get at someone calling down your favorite player- Trouba. I'm glad to see your a man of "friendly and even temperment":) - glad I was not thrown out of my seat - "your a good sport."

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Someone in the GDT brought up the fact that Trouba is gifted PP time despite it not being warranted based on his overall play (a pre signing goodwill gesture) would rather see Morrissey or Kulikov in his place on the PP.

Reactions: GNP

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Oh hey, it's the guy that said Hellebuyck having a dud today wasn't a matter of "if" but "when", and was confident the team would lose today. Funny, I didn't seem to see any of your posts in a GDT where the Jets were behind for 0% of the game, we won by 4, and Hellebuyck had a shutout.

I'm sure I must have just missed them.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Unfortunatly I didn' watch yesterdays game, and today's I had more so in the background, but judging by everyone's posts, they've played well.

My confidence will be back to full if they beat the Preds.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There is no universe in which Kane and Trouba belong in the same convo as Bogo. Kane and Trouba are actually good players whereas Bogo might have been good one day but is no longer so, in part due to injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
is it hyperbole to say we saved our season? it was important to follow up yesterdays bad luck with a win, and a convincing one. i still dont see us hosting a series but 3rd or wildcard is still ours for the taking

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Someone in the GDT brought up the fact that Trouba is gifted PP time despite it not being warranted based on his overall play (a pre signing goodwill gesture) would rather see Morrissey or Kulikov in his place on the PP.

Great post Sip and I agree with you. Morrisey has looked awfully good as of late--and the thing I noticed his shot "mostly always hits the net." Trouba has a good hard shot, but his shot hits the net only about 50% of the time.

Personally I like Myers on the point, or a guy like Morrisey would be great as well. The guy is getting better all the time, as he gains confidence. Kulikov is pretty good as well.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
is it hyperbole to say we saved our season? it was important to follow up yesterdays bad luck with a win, and a convincing one. i still dont see us hosting a series but 3rd or wildcard is still ours for the taking

Yeah, it was. But I mean, the psychological value is undeniable. And 2nd isn't exactly out of reach, given how well we've shown we can play against said current second place team.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Morrissey's market is pretty defined so its a fairly safe bet He's getting between 5 and 5.5 on a long term deal. Given the way he's played this season he will likely be at the top end of it with Slavin 7 at 5.4 or Lindholm 6 and 5.3 as his closest comparibles.

Trouba i have no idea what he will sign for. Given how he's played he should be looking at around 6 per year given his arb rights and RFA years left.

So why do some posters think that Trouba is worth more money than Morrisey? I've watched pretty much all the games and think that Morrisey has played better than Trouba this year. Trouba's play is starting to get better now, and hope it continues.

If Morrisey is willing to sign long term for $ 5.5 mil--then Trouba should not get any more than Morrisey, and absolute tops would be $ 6 mil. If he wants more, let him go to arbitration, then trade him. He's not worth the "continual headache" I read posts on here saying he wants $ 8 mil- "he's just not worth that amount--and I'd be surprised if Chevy goes any higher than $ 6 mil on Trouba.

Why should Jet's management allow Trouba to upset the pay equilibrium that we currently have on the Jets ??? If he wants to be reasonable-"then fine-sign him."--if not-"trade him." --and I'd love to see the Jet's get Sergachev from Tampa in return--even if we have to throw in a "good pick."

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
That's the Patrik Laine I want to see all the time, excellent game. All over the ice, worked hard down low, got into some hard areas for scoring chances, much more decisive with the puck.

Loved watching him tonight.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Haven't seen the heat map but I thought the Jets worked the puck into the danger zone much more effectively than last night. Their play down low was much more aggressive and they drove to the net harder. Allen had a much tougher night than Hutton did.

That and the Jets neutral zone play and puck retrieval were the biggest differences I thought.

Dominant performance, just loved Morrissey tonight and Poolman had himself a real nice game. Nice bounce back for Scheifele, didn't love him last night but he was beasting more today. Good to see him get off the schneid.

That's the kind of game you keep rolling CLT.

It's crazy to imagine breaking up CSW after a game like that, they were dominant.

Nice to see Helle get back on track, I'd bet Mason's strong game pushed him a bit.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad