This is interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Not that interesting, considering not only that a few #1 overalls don't make it, but there are only about 15 or so in the league at any one time.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
Not that interesting, considering not only that a few #1 overalls don't make it, but there are only about 15 or so in the league at any one time.

the fact that there are about 15 former #1 overall picks in the league at the same time makes this even more surprising, not less...if there are 15 guys in the league and they all play on different teams, thats 50% of the league. that means that the OTHER 50% wins the cup almost every year

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I think the fact that a team has to be really bad to get a first overall pick might just factor into that :). All the first overall picks are going to one of the worst five teams in the league.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
I think the fact that a team has to be really bad to get a first overall pick might just factor into that :). All the first overall picks are going to one of the worst five teams in the league.

that is true but the theory behind the advantage of getting the #1 pick is that you land a franchise player and future superstar who will turn the franchise around. obviously the team is bad when the guy gets picked, but the idea is that you build around the guy and then 5 years down the road you are good...

columbus isn't good now, but i'm sure their plan is to build a team around rick nash and one day be a contender with him

MacDaddy TLC*

It is even rarer for 1st overalls to win the scoring title. Look at the Art Ross: Mario Lemieux; Guy Lefleur, any more?

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Maybe a bit surprising and unlucky, but not that hard to predict. It normally takes a number one pick a long time to win because they play for crappy teams. They have to play for crappy teams because they were drafted by the worst (or close to it) team in the NHL. It'll usually take any team years at least 5 years to go from drafting first over to being a contender.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
Very interesting and confirms what I have always believed in.

What's that?

Your undying love of Mr. Bates and his fine simulator?

:lol:

Joking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->