This is EXACTLY why I didn't like Fleury going to the WJC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Evilo said:
No as I said, IMO he lost more than he gained going to that tourney.
I said it before the tournament and it's only so true now that you see posts like Stephen's or others and articles in the media blaming the loss on one single player.
I think a 19 year old should be protected from a loss of confidence yes.
That's why I was saying keep him in Pittsburgh until he shows he's not good enough.
It's obvious to me the reason Fleury failed was pressure. He faced less talented players than at the NHL level. He faced less quality shots. Yet he failed miserably. The pressure of being team Canada's goalie was probably too much, especially after last year's loss.
I'm in full support of him of course, but I think a 19 year old with a shaky confidence is not really the best way for this kid to develop.
I understand your point of wanting him to face pressure situation, but that might be a bit too much apparently.

Both teams played well, ; Fairly even first, Canada better in the second, and US better in the third. US certainly deseved the win but I would (much more happily) have said the same (and more) if Canada had won. But I don't blame Fleury for a bad bounce. It was a 3-3 game and O'Sullivan had a partial breakaway; He earned his luck as far as I'm concerned. The puck seemed to have eyes for the last two goals. Otherwise we might be talking about what a clutch goalie Fleury is. Thats not just hockey; That's sports!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if there would be as much talk about the 4th goal if instead of Fleury playing it, if O'Sullivan came in and cleanly beat him.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Oh dear. Last year I gave up hope that people would understand the difference in importance between one week of junior hockey and one season of pro hockey as the mediocre Lehtonen faced the disappointment, but now I thought Fleury's hype so invincible that it would make people see the light on this matter. I guess I still hoped for too much.

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
When it comes down to it the TEAM lost it not just Fleury. Sure he prolly should have covered the puck instead of shooting it but I don't think he expected Coburn to just stand there like a dolt and let it hit him i mean come on he knew Fleury was gonna shoot it. Anyways when something can go wrong it always does.

Volchenkov

Feb 1, 2003
elibenporat.blogspot.com
I think this is a severe case of HFBoards bandwagoning. MA Fleury is still either the best or 2nd best goalie under the age of 20. Its like the silly Joe Thornton thread where people offer mid-level talent in exchange for the best player in the league last season and one of the premiere young talents in the league.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh I don't question one minute he's a great talent and I hope he bounces back.
But I'm aware of the danger of sending him to the WJC and that danger was exactly what happenned.
That's probably the worst thing that could happen to him this year (not talking about anything personal or injuries) : losing to kids his age in a bad manner.
But yes it's bandwagonning at its worst.
As usual I might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->