This is crazy..... Never too old....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckChaser

Dec 18, 2005
Hey folks... just new to this board so will say hello first off.

After having been a huge hockey fan for years, I decided to take the plunge and start playing some shinny hockey with some guys at work a month ago or so after NEVER having played ice hockey in my life before, as well as having limited skating ability and not being on skates in 10 years.

I've been soooo stoked to play lately! It's quickly gone from an "OK, I'll try it once" to a passion - addicted like a drug. Feels totally crazy to be so stoked to play after having zero experience before...

I'm mid-way through my thirties, so I didn't think I'd have a remote chance of playing well. Turns out, I'm progressing really fast, and now REALLY hungry to get better and better. Skating backwards came fairly easily for me, although I have still many limitations that I need to hammer out to be much more effective in a game scenario.

Trouble is, the once a week shinny isn't enough - I want much more practice time on the ice- soooooo....

This leads me to a question....

I'm thinking of now doing the Drop-In Shinny Hockey at a local arena. What usually happens at these? Are these literally drop-in players that you just meet and decide a team? Are they pre-organized? Are they tolerant of different skill levels?

I feel like I want to be on the ice everyday!

BTW - this is a great forum to discuss these things.

Thanks,

PC

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
PuckChaser said:
Trouble is, the once a week shinny isn't enough - I want much more practice time on the ice- soooooo....

I'm thinking of now doing the Drop-In Shinny Hockey at a local arena. What usually happens at these? Are these literally drop-in players that you just meet and decide a team? Are they pre-organized? Are they tolerant of different skill levels?

Thanks,

PC

Don't sweat it, just play. Some players used to get aggravated with me because I can't take a pass, also was slower, what being not experienced, being small and having a somewhat uneven gait which makes me a little clumsy. Other people were really nice. I ended up migrating to a adult beginner program afterwards,which was may more suitable to my skill level.

Whatever suits you, tho. Its a game, its not like you're slowing up their escape out of a burning building. Some of the peole who showed up were Junior B level players....I figured if player with lower level players bothered them so much, they'd join a team.

CheeseSandwich*

PuckChaser said:
Hey folks... just new to this board so will say hello first off.

After having been a huge hockey fan for years, I decided to take the plunge and start playing some shinny hockey with some guys at work a month ago or so after NEVER having played ice hockey in my life before, as well as having limited skating ability and not being on skates in 10 years.

I've been soooo stoked to play lately! It's quickly gone from an "OK, I'll try it once" to a passion - addicted like a drug. Feels totally crazy to be so stoked to play after having zero experience before...

I'm mid-way through my thirties, so I didn't think I'd have a remote chance of playing well. Turns out, I'm progressing really fast, and now REALLY hungry to get better and better. Skating backwards came fairly easily for me, although I have still many limitations that I need to hammer out to be much more effective in a game scenario.

Thanks,

PC

What will happen is everyone will go on the ice with usually gloves, helmets and skates. You split the players in half. Hopefully you have two goalies (who wear all their normal gear). Without goalies it's not as fun (nets usually get turned around so you cant score from half.

Then you play 5 - 5 with the rest of the teams on the benches.

The quality of player I find is usually pretty low. You've usually got your teenager that tries to deke everyone out, old timer that thinks he's in the NHL, and the rest at these things.

Everyone expects a wide array of talents so I wouldn't be timid about going at all.

Drrocket9

Sep 29, 2004
skate and have fun! more power to you. you are still a young man.

never too old to play hockey.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I've been through in about the same process. I played very little until I was 35. One day I was invited to a game involving people at work at a rink. I just loved it my first experience in the rink! I was exhausted at the end of the game. I found it so hard, but did not give up. I returned at every game. I then needed to play much more than just once every other month. I then found out that there was ball hockey at the community center, twice a week. I tried it and enjoyed it. After six years at the gym, I thought that I'd better to go to a higher level of hockey. I then tried a league at the rink. It's my second year and get better every game. Two weeks ago I went back to the gym, and it helps me alot! It makes my legs stronger, so I can run faster and longer. It has become, as you said, a drug. I need it. Very few reasons would stop me from going. I am now 41, and intend to play as long as I can stand on my feet. If I can't manage to walk, then I'll do some other sports. I'll get a wheelchair, and play basketball on a wheelchair!

PuckChaser

Dec 18, 2005
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I actually went out today and played some drop-in shinny.
It was real low key - but got some ice time with one guy on my team who could REALLY rip it up - gave me some great assists, and certainly made me feel welcome - and I learned some.

I feel a relentless desire to work on my weaknesses and actually become a decent player at some point.

My skating has come a long way, but has a looong way to go.

I still can't power-stop turning to the right (can do it to the left), and have a generally weak right turn all round - can't really do it with any authority - feels wierd to turn in that direction actually.

The way I figure is that the more ice time I get, the more I play, and the better I'll get.

It's nice to see that people have trecked this same road before and achieved a modicum of succcess.

I appreciate it. Thanks.

PC

CheeseSandwich*

PuckChaser said:
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I actually went out today and played some drop-in shinny.
It was real low key - but got some ice time with one guy on my team who could REALLY rip it up - gave me some great assists, and certainly made me feel welcome - and I learned some.

I feel a relentless desire to work on my weaknesses and actually become a decent player at some point.

My skating has come a long way, but has a looong way to go.

I still can't power-stop turning to the right (can do it to the left), and have a generally weak right turn all round - can't really do it with any authority - feels wierd to turn in that direction actually.

The way I figure is that the more ice time I get, the more I play, and the better I'll get.

It's nice to see that people have trecked this same road before and achieved a modicum of succcess.

I appreciate it. Thanks.

PC

One thing you can try to help your development is to stop with the inside of you good foot. That's usually easier then stoping with the outside of your bad foot.

That'll give you all the functionality you need while you work on properly stopping with both feet.

zarathustra1900

Dec 10, 2005
Italy
Outstanding. Good for you!

I am an American living abroad in italy. Needless to say, no hockey here.

Have been a closet fan for years now having completely succumb to it. Although my location is frustrating, I hope to do exactly the same as many of you when I return to the states.

Although having turned the big 30 (I can't believe it..how did this happen?!) I have always been very athletic and hope I can take it up.

Your post(s) are very encouraging. That's great stuff man..

Best wishes.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Good for you!! Hockey is the greatest sport in the world!

I remember reading a story about Paul Kariya's dad. He didn't play hockey as a kid but took it up in his 30's. Paul said that he joined a mens league and because he was such a natural athlete he was scoring 3-4 goals a night. Just goes to show that you're never too old to learn.

I hear what you're saying about the urge to get better with your skating. I started late too so one thing I would do was working on my weak side stops. Before every game I would do at least 10-15 stops on that weak side to get better at it. And then during the game I would force myself to stop on that side as much as possible. Before I knew it I was just as good at stopping from both sides. Now, I'm not even sure which one was my weak side.

Another thing that really helped me with my game was practicisng stick handling with my head up. I would take a tennis ball and stick and while watching TV work on my stick handling. It took some time but I'm a lot better at keeping the head up while moving the puck now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->