This Friday the Draft order for the 2005 may be set !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

TomACE said:
I've got a simple solution. First off all, we need to stop arguing about the 2005 Draft, because it won't take place anyways. Secondly, let the league play the 2005-2006 campain and then combine the 2005 & 2006 Draft class.

And do what, have 18 rounds? It's already been made clear that draft classes will be kept separate.

As for Capitals fans stoked about possibly having Ovechkin and Crosby, are you all sure these two will actually get along?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Van said:
And do what, have 18 rounds? It's already been made clear that draft classes will be kept separate.

As for Capitals fans stoked about possibly having Ovechkin and Crosby, are you all sure these two will actually get along?
why wouldn't they? :confused:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
EroCaps said:
Agreed. But Draft Day is for the losers isn't it?

My point is that right now there are no "losers". By way of the CBA negociations, a ton of work is being done to bring together the "haves" and "have-nots" in terms of payrolls and ability to sign free agents and so on. So much so that the balance of power in the NHL could shift significantly, very quickly. So the same thing should happen with regards to draft picks.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I don't care how it is done....after Crosby the depth of this draft is pretty impressive, I don't think the difference from 25 to 5 is all that much like in years past.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
theBob said:
The Hawks have never had a 1st overall pick ever and they finished bottom 2 last season. Its about time Wirtz gets a pat on the back for all his loyal years as a tool to the NHL.

The more success the Hawks have now, the longer you have to deal with him.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Jaded-Fan said:
Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, Toronto, Vancouver, etc will all have chances at number one but two of the worst teams in the league will not? Good shootin' there Tex . . . :shakehead

And totally irrelevant. The system chosen will be weighted and refer back to most likely 2003-4, but maybe 2 or 3 seasons combined. Anyone who thinks otherwise are deluding themselves.

OK, thanks foor the nickname, Mack... deluded, yeah that's a perfect word for the situation. I'm deluded and in need of psychiatric help because Mack disagrees with me? ;)

Yes, I'm rather sick of seeing the Pens and Caps get the best of everything simply because they play like **** every year. I saw someone make a bone-headed comment about why NYR fans shouldn't get Crosby. Whatever. I'd like him, but don't really care.

As for the lottery, what is it that seems to make you so sure you know how it'll be conducted? I know the Pens and Caps stipulation isn't realistic, though I like it. The better teams in the NHL mostly have ****** prospects, and in 10 years the tables will be turned, so why not give everyone a shot, as minute as it'd be in a weighted lottery, it shouldn't matter.

Someone else said they would wait till another season is played, which makes sense at a first glance, but it'd cause more confuusion than it would if we just modified the draft and conducted it in June.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
DARKSIDE said:
Larry Brooks at it again…

The Journalist who campaigned for Bure, Lindros and Holik is now after Sidney Crosby. Although, he does make a few valid points, my contempt for this biggest Ranger cheerleader has no limits. http://www.nypost.com/seven/04032005/sports/43766.htm

Larry Brooks started out as an Islander writer and used to kill the Rangers non-stop. If he writes anything in favor of the Rangers its usually only about selling newspapers.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
BobMarleyNYR said:
OK, thanks foor the nickname, Mack... deluded, yeah that's a perfect word for the situation. I'm deluded and in need of psychiatric help because Mack disagrees with me? ;)

Yes, I'm rather sick of seeing the Pens and Caps get the best of everything simply because they play like **** every year. I saw someone make a bone-headed comment about why NYR fans shouldn't get Crosby. Whatever. I'd like him, but don't really care.

As for the lottery, what is it that seems to make you so sure you know how it'll be conducted? I know the Pens and Caps stipulation isn't realistic, though I like it. The better teams in the NHL mostly have ****** prospects, and in 10 years the tables will be turned, so why not give everyone a shot, as minute as it'd be in a weighted lottery, it shouldn't matter.

Someone else said they would wait till another season is played, which makes sense at a first glance, but it'd cause more confuusion than it would if we just modified the draft and conducted it in June.

The best teams in the league are the best teams in the league and don't need high draft picks. They attract FAs and have nailed down elite players.

The Caps shouldn't be included with the Pens and Thrashers bc they lucked out w/Ovechkin. I would like to see the balanced tiered lottery into effect in that it would allow each team the chance to drop or move up 5 spots. I think that's as equitable as it's going to get. They'll figure something out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My team deserves this, my team deserves that...boo ****ing hoo... :nopity:

NO team DESERVES anything. There is one fair way to decide this thing. One. You take the standings of the last regular season played, then, re-do the lottery. That's it. No one can know for sure whether or not Manny Malhotra would have score 84 goals last season or if the Colorado Avalache would have scored only a 102 as a team. We can go only off of the last season that has actually been played, just like every other draft year since I have been alive.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I'm not a fan of the idea of combining the stats from the last 4 or 5 or however many years to determine this draft order. That could end up rewarding teams that I don't think should get the #1 pick. Teams like Atlanta. Atlanta was a pretty horrible team 4 years ago, but now they're rising quickly. If you take the stats from 4 years combined, it would probably (I'm too lazy to actually check) give them a pretty good shot at the #1 pick, but they've already been rewarded for being bad back then, that's why they have such a massive amount of young talent on the team already.

Personally, I support an equally weighted random draft. I haven't heard any other arguments that strike me as particularly fair. That's probably because there is no fair solution to this problem, we were robbed of that by the lockout.

Alright, I lied, I support the option where Montreal gets Crosby, but uh, that may be a touch biased :D

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Since this thread has degenerated into another "This is how it should be and this is who deserves what" thread...basically a facsimile of what we have in the draft discussion thread...I'm going to close it for the time being. If anything notable comes out of Friday, I'll happily re-open it.

Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->