This could be an amazing week for the NHL IF;

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
IF; Shanahan and company can come up with the solutions to the on-ice problems and IF; Goodenow and Bettman can keep the door open long enough to come to a financial agreement that takes care of most if not all off-ice issues in the NHL. You have to be blind not to see that both need a MAJOR overhaul for this great game of ours, the best sport on earth to move forward and to be played to it's fullest potential. :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
it better include:
a) getting rid of the instigator - let the players police themselves;
b) moving the end lines closer to the boards;
either 1 of these last 2 must be allowed: c) 1)reducing some goalie stay puft looking equipment get back to reflexes for goalies; 2) allowing any previously illegal curve to the stick, to be legal

Go Flames Go*

Rule changes will be welcomed if the flow of the game is made better, goalie equipment is made smaller. I am for rule changes to make the game more faster, and a few more goals scored, but I am not for going back to the 1980's offensive explosion style of hockey. Its just fine the way it is, I don't mind 2-1, 3-2 games, and I wont mind games that are 5-4 and occasionaly 7-1, 8-1, but I am not in favour of goals being that high all the time. I would like to see player put up 100 pts and 50 goals every season, but not at the cost of blow out games or high scoring affairs every game. The less the goals the more intense and physical it gets, the more emotion, and every goal scored seems like a dagger in the heart I like it that way.

HckyFght*

There was nothing wrong with hockey until Bettman broke it! And most of the "rules changes" people are talking about are reversals of terrible on-ice Bettman era decisions, although to be fair, the instigator rule was the brain-child of his immediate predecessor. Roll the rules back to 1989 and all will be well, if not forgiven! While we're at it, roll the ticket prices and salaries back to 1989 as well!
-HckyFght!

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Remember, the NHL was already trying to implement rules changes this past summer, including reducing goalie equipment. And it must be noted, the players were fighting them all the way.

This Shanahan stuff seems like a waste of time to me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
why not just call the rules that exist already? if a player take his hand off of his stick and grabs an opposing player, its a minor penalty for holding. if a player uses the hook of his stick to slow or impede the progress of an opponent, its hooking.

these things are only penalties now when there is a certain combination of if's, when's, how much's add up to a penalty.

a crosscheck is a crosschecking penalty every time it happens not just when an unsuspecting opponent is face planted with a hit from behind.

just the process of trying to explain the rules of the game to someone new shows how far from the rule book the refereeing has become.

chiavsfan

I agree with TXPD on this one. If the game was called by the rules that are in place now, then it would make for a much better and well played game. As for everyone calling for goalie pad reduction? Get over it...JS Giguere had the biggest pads on earth and he sucked last year. You still have to play the position properly to be a good goalie.

The only rule changes I would make is tag-up offsides, and no touch icing. I would also maybe (I'm still undecided) drop the 2-line pass.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If the NHL does have rule changes again please do it all at once and then leave the sport alone. This rule of the year or rule of the first half of the year is a joke and makes the NHL look like a third rate league.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
txpd said:
why not just call the rules that exist already? if a player take his hand off of his stick and grabs an opposing player, its a minor penalty for holding. if a player uses the hook of his stick to slow or impede the progress of an opponent, its hooking.

these things are only penalties now when there is a certain combination of if's, when's, how much's add up to a penalty.

a crosscheck is a crosschecking penalty every time it happens not just when an unsuspecting opponent is face planted with a hit from behind.

just the process of trying to explain the rules of the game to someone new shows how far from the rule book the refereeing has become.

I remember seeing Derian Hatcher , countless times cross checking the heck out of forwards in fron of the Dallas net and thinking to myself , What is going on here ?

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
Isles72 said:
I remember seeing Derian Hatcher , countless times cross checking the heck out of forwards in fron of the Dallas net and thinking to myself , What is going on here ?

Great point! While I do believe some changes would increase the flow of the game, I also think we would be 80% of the way there if current rules were enforced. You would think with two refs, they'd stand a fair chance of seeing these things?
:dunno:

chiavsfan

Unfortunately it seems that penalties that are NOT seen by a ref, seem to be "made up" just for the heck of it later on in the game. I want to see the REAL calls, not the make up ones, to try and make a game interesting at the end of the game

HckyFght*

I don't want to see any of the cross checking or ultra minor infractions called. I liked it better when the "flow of the game" meant the puck, not the man. Unless a player's malfeasance interferes with the flow of the puck, who cares if someone is hooked or cross-checked? That's hockey. If you put a stick in someones hand they're gonna use it, that can't be stopped, legislated or otherwise policed. So officials always had to make a subjective decision as as to whether or not what he just saw violates the flow of the puck. There are more than 80 whistles a game now, what do you want? DO you want to turn the NHL into the NFL where there's more stoppages than playing time? I say let'm fight it out. That's the best part of the game. Quit listening to players and what they want. Of course players are gonna want to wear all the pads they can, are gonna want no one touching them. People who pay to see the games should have the say, not the players. If the players don't like it, get different players. I love watching Darien Hatcher cross check the bejeezus out of oponents in the slot, he's a freakin defenseman!
-HckyFght!

Last edited by a moderator:

HckyFght*

Also, if Shannahan wants to talk about "the game" he ought to include a few fans in his round table. Wouldn't it be a unique concept to actually ask the paying customers what they might like?
-HckyFght!

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Seven_Nation_Army said:
it better include:
a) getting rid of the instigator - let the players police themselves;
b) moving the end lines closer to the boards;
either 1 of these last 2 must be allowed: c) 1)reducing some goalie stay puft looking equipment get back to reflexes for goalies; 2) allowing any previously illegal curve to the stick, to be legal

I'm not for most of the rule changes that some people suggest, but those you suggested I could live with. ESPECIALLY the size of goalies equipment. IMO there is absolutely no excuse for it. Since when did goalie equipment become about protecting the net rather then protecting the body. I think every goalie in the league should look like Martin Brodeur.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
PecaFan said:
Remember, the NHL was already trying to implement rules changes this past summer, including reducing goalie equipment. And it must be noted, the players were fighting them all the way.

This Shanahan stuff seems like a waste of time to me.

Yeah if I remember correctly, Trevor Kidd had a caniption about reducing the size of goalie pads. Its funny how it is always the worst goalies who complain. Martin Brodeur is laughing right now.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
txpd said:

Couldn't agree more. For the first couple months, each game will be filled with penalties, until the players learn that everytime they do this it will be called. It would suck to watch a game that way, but it would be worth it to eliminate the clutching and grabbing, which IMO, is the biggest detrement to the game that there is.

Feb 12, 2003
kerrly said:
Couldn't agree more. For the first couple months, each game will be filled with penalties, until the players learn that everytime they do this it will be called. It would suck to watch a game that way, but it would be worth it to eliminate the clutching and grabbing, which IMO, is the biggest detrement to the game that there is.
No question, the game called by the book and the game called on the ice are two different products right now, and they could go a long way by following the rulebook. I actually believe they will follow the rulebook when they get back, as I think a big part of the reason that the refs have been lax is to allow the level of competition we've seen. Under the previous setting of the NHL, if you let the skilled players go and play their game, only the richest teams would be winning in many cases. I think the NHL went lax on the rules to enforce their own competitive balance, but it's somewhat backfired on them as it's decreased the overall quality of play on the ice.

chiavsfan

I will post this once again about goalie pads

As for everyone calling for goalie pad reduction? Get over it...JS Giguere had the biggest pads on earth and he sucked last year.

It's not the size of the pads I'm sorry. It's that the goalies are better athletes than they were years ago.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
chiavsfan said:

As for everyone calling for goalie pad reduction? Get over it...JS Giguere had the biggest pads on earth and he sucked last year.

It's not the size of the pads I'm sorry. It's that the goalies are better athletes than they were years ago.

Yeah because it couldn't possibly be a combination of both things.....

From the NHL rule book....

(a) With the exception of skates and stick, all the equipment worn by the goalkeeper must be constructed solely for the purpose of protecting the head or body, and he must not wear any garment or use any contrivance which would give him undue assistance in keeping goal.

http://nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule21.html

Can anyone honestly look at the goalie equipment today and say that it doesn't violate the spirit of the rules?

The fact that the PA fights tooth and nail to prevent the narrowing of the definition even further doesn't make it right.....

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
chiavsfan said:

EXACTLY! Imagine how much he would suck if his equipment was actually a normal size. The large goal equipment is making the weak goalies in the league look better. Not just the size of the pads should be reduced but all the equipment especially the upper body protectors. Of course this won't create a pile of more scoring, maybe a goal more per game tops, but its still breaking the rules. Have you ever been coming in on a goalie and trying to find room to shoot? With the size of goal equipment these days, there is no room. Something about this has to be done and there is no other way to view it IMO. If you don't think it will make a difference then you've obviously never played the game.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
copperandblue said:
Yeah because it couldn't possibly be a combination of both things.....

From the NHL rule book....

(a) With the exception of skates and stick, all the equipment worn by the goalkeeper must be constructed solely for the purpose of protecting the head or body, and he must not wear any garment or use any contrivance which would give him undue assistance in keeping goal.

http://nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule21.html

Can anyone honestly look at the goalie equipment today and say that it doesn't violate the spirit of the rules?

The fact that the PA fights tooth and nail to prevent the narrowing of the definition even further doesn't make it right.....

Couldn't agree with you anymore than I do.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
HckyFght said:
I don't want to see any of the cross checking or ultra minor infractions called. I liked it better when the "flow of the game" meant the puck, not the man. Unless a player's malfeasance interferes with the flow of the puck, who cares if someone is hooked or cross-checked? That's hockey. If you put a stick in someones hand they're gonna use it, that can't be stopped, legislated or otherwise policed. So officials always had to make a subjective decision as as to whether or not what he just saw violates the flow of the puck. There are more than 80 whistles a game now, what do you want? DO you want to turn the NHL into the NFL where there's more stoppages than playing time? I say let'm fight it out. That's the best part of the game. Quit listening to players and what they want. Of course players are gonna want to wear all the pads they can, are gonna want no one touching them. People who pay to see the games should have the say, not the players. If the players don't like it, get different players. I love watching Darien Hatcher cross check the bejeezus out of oponents in the slot, he's a freakin defenseman!
-HckyFght!

I do share your perspective on this a bit. I dont want everything called and I want the refs to be able to use some judgement. Get rid of clutching and grabbing but not battling. Top of the circle to top of the circle, stick on stick or body on body, but down low is where the battles take place and you pay the price to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->