Post-Game Talk: They're sweating in New Jersey: Panthers destroy Habs 5-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC76

Aug 24, 2016
nobody in Miami even knows the team exists. Leaving Miami has nothing to do with the low attendance. decades of irrelevance and the ability to easily watch out of market teams made it so all but the most die hard of fans still follow the team.
Move the team to Miami would be the kiss of death. BBT is in the perfect spot, accessible to all in PB, Broward and Dade.
Winning is the key and we've only started to do that. Thank you Bobby Bougner, may you live long and prosper.

Reactions: Beezeral

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Mamin looked good again. Guy just looks like an NHL player. Really like him in the bottom 6 and I bet there's some untapped offense in his game. When that third line is hitting people, it's a nice change of pace from the top 2.

Very shrewd draft pick.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
I am rewatching this game right now.

If I wouldnt know Vrbata is in the lineup I would be searching for him the whole game. Jesus is he bad

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Mamin looked good again. Guy just looks like an NHL player. Really like him in the bottom 6 and I bet there's some untapped offense in his game. When that third line is hitting people, it's a nice change of pace from the top 2.

Very shrewd draft pick.
You can see that he played in the KHL and not in Juniors. He has been huge for our successe and developing chemistry with McCann

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Those in Broward and Palm Beach County will tell you there's enough people and wealth to support a major pro franchise. Well, you've had the team for two decades and have failed miserably in supporting it the entire time. If you think the difference between a sellout and 5,000 people showing up is media coverage, then the team should have never moved north to begin with.
And if you think all it takes is a good home win streak to bump the attendance from 10-15k to a sellout in every game, then your expectations for a non-traditional market which has sucked for most of its existence is kinda high.

Maybe instead of blaming the fans (which is ridiculous when you know the history of this team), guide your anger towards the ownerships of past & present that drove those fans away. This isn't a market that's going to support a bad product and it's going to take time for people to buy in that the Panthers aren't a perennial loser anymore.

Reactions: Beezeral and KW

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Move the team to Miami would be the kiss of death. BBT is in the perfect spot, accessible to all in PB, Broward and Dade.
Winning is the key and we've only started to do that. Thank you Bobby Bougner, may you live long and prosper.

Winning more than once in a blue moon, and an arena in downtown Ft. Lauderdale wouldn’t hurt either

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
And if you think all it takes is a good home win streak to bump the attendance from 10-15k to a sellout in every game, then your expectations for a non-traditional market which has sucked for most of its existence is kinda high.

Maybe instead of blaming the fans (which is ridiculous when you know the history of this team), guide your anger towards the ownerships of past & present that drove those fans away. This isn't a market that's going to support a bad product and it's going to take time for people to buy in that the Panthers aren't a perennial loser anymore.
Exactly.

If data is needed to support your statement, look at Lightning.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida

why would you want to pick a fight with jakey?

convenient how you chose to leave out game 5, 105% attendance.

isn't this is exact conversation going on with stephen ross talking to derek jeter? you have to field a winning team to get attendance. this concept isn't exclusive to south florida either. a fan base supporting a failing franchise is the exception, not the rule. sports fans in south florida will go watch a winning team. there are plenty of other things to do than go watch a crappy team play meaningless games.

look at the marlins, they are in miami. by your logic they should be selling out the stadium. are they? no. they aren't because the team is terrible and has been terrible for a long time. no one wants to go watch baseball. they just want to see the "new" stadium. that's worn off. don't act like miami sports fans are somehow more loyal than those north of countyline.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018

Miami Arena was about 25% smaller in capacity yet still outdrew today's BBT attendance.

The only reason Huizenga left Miami was because he and Arison hated one another (they could have co-existed at AAA), NOT because of lacking fan support/attendance.

By the looks of the audience, Sunrise is the kiss of death.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
^ I would also add that fans aren't generally unreasonable in the amount of success expected. Fans primarily want to see effort towards being competitive, rather than having an unreasonable expectation of "guaranteed success" (excluding fans who've had tons of success recently who complain about every little thing).

For example, a perception that ownership is throwing in the towel with an internal cap is a definite attendance downer.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Miami Arena was about 25% smaller in capacity yet still outdrew today's BBT attendance.
Not true for playoffs. Not that we have a large sample to work with, but the BBT arena is considerably bigger.

WaitingForThatCab

Gas up the Lombo
Mar 11, 2017
When Panthers occupied the pink elephant, Miami was 100% aware of them. But no one is crazy enough to hop on I-75 and make a hike to the Everglades during rush hour.

That arena is in y'all's backyard and you don't even go. Absolutely pathetic.

It takes about as long to get to the BB&T Center during rush hour from freaking Doral as it does to get Downtown with the current traffic situation. This is kind of a nonsense argument. The team has poor attendance because they've been bad and boring for a long time and it's freaking Miami. I took a Venezuelan guy to his first ever hockey game recently and he loved it, but somebody had to drag his ass up there and explain stuff to him because he sure as hell didn't know anything about it.

Take the Metro Rail? Dude, I just burst out laughing. Come on! If you live near a Metro Rail stop there's about a 90% chance you don't even speak English.

Anyway, there are a lot of reasons why attendance is trash for South Florida sports teams, but the Panthers definitely have the worst confluence of factors for that. The fact that the team does have a pretty decent chunk of diehard fans makes me inclined to love our fanbase, rather than shred on it every chance I get.

The only way to pack the place is to make the seats more affordable (this is a problem for ALL pro sports right now that nobody wants to talk about...) and put a better product on the ice. I do think you will see attendance get a nice bump next season if this is the kind of team we can expect to see. Not only are they actually playing good hockey, but they're not boring anymore.

Last edited:

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
why would you want to pick a fight with jakey?

convenient how you chose to leave out game 5, 105% attendance.

isn't this is exact conversation going on with stephen ross talking to derek jeter? you have to field a winning team to get attendance. this concept isn't exclusive to south florida either. a fan base supporting a failing franchise is the exception, not the rule. sports fans in south florida will go watch a winning team. there are plenty of other things to do than go watch a crappy team play meaningless games.

look at the marlins, they are in miami. by your logic they should be selling out the stadium. are they? no. they aren't because the team is terrible and has been terrible for a long time. no one wants to go watch baseball. they just want to see the "new" stadium. that's worn off. don't act like miami sports fans are somehow more loyal than those north of countyline.

There are FOUR "franchises" in the 305 competing for the same Dade sports dollars. The Marlins have an excuse, as opposed to the Panthers, who have a monopoly in Broward for that county's sports dollars.

And pointing to Game 5 in 2016 doesn't change the fact that 2/3rds of those games were NOT sold out, which flies in the face of those who swear: playoffs = sellouts in Broward

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
It takes about as long to get to the BB&T Center during rush hour from freaking Doral as it does to get Downtown with the current traffic situation. This is kind of a nonsense argument. The team has poor attendance because they've been bad and boring for a long time and it's freaking Miami. I took a Venezuelan guy to his first ever hockey game recently and he loved it, but somebody had to drag his ass up there and explain stuff to him because he sure as hell didn't know anything about it.

Take the Metro Rail? Dude, I just burst out laughing. Come on! If you live near a Metro Rail stop there's about a 90% chance you don't even speak English.

Anyway, there are a lot of reasons why attendance is trash for South Florida sports teams, but the Panthers definitely have the worst confluence of factors for that. The fact that the team does have a pretty decent chunk of diehard fans makes me inclined to love our fanbase, rather than shred on it every chance I get.

The only way to pack the place is to make the seats more affordable (this is a problem for ALL pro sports right now that nobody wants to talk about...) and put a better product on the ice. I do think you will see attendance get a nice bump next season if this is the kind of team we can expect to see. Not only are they actually playing good hockey, but they're not boring anymore.

Using Doral, which is not central to Dade in any way, is truly "nonsense" when trying to make a point on travel.

Only Hispanic people live near Metro Rail stops? Bigot? It has 2 stops near Dadeland (central/east Dade), South Miami, UM/Coral Gables, Coconut Grove and Brickel. All dense, affluent areas. What garbage are you inventing?

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
There are FOUR "franchises" in the 305 competing for the same Dade sports dollars. The Marlins have an excuse, as opposed to the Panthers, who have a monopoly in Broward for that county's sports dollars.

And pointing to Game 5 in 2016 doesn't change the fact that 2/3rds of those games were NOT sold out, which flies in the face of those who swear: playoffs = sellouts in Broward

are you suggesting fans in broward don't go to basketball, football and baseball games because the stadiums are in dade?

bandwagon fans fill stadiums. win for a few years and you won't need them to fill seats. its not rocket science.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
The game was very well attended last night from my vantage point. The problem is the cameras only show 3 sections in the middle of the rink where the seats cost $200/Each.

Also our style of play does not lend itself to be something to cheer about while the puck is in play. If i wasn't an avid Panthers fan and tuned into watch our games of late I'd compare us to the Devils and Wild of yesteryear...get a lead and then turtle it the rest of the game.

WaitingForThatCab

Gas up the Lombo
Mar 11, 2017
You could stand to be less combative, drop the ridiculous accusations of bigotry, and also stop arguing with locals who have lived here for 35+ years about geography and commute.

That doesn't mean you will, but you should take it under consideration.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
You could stand to be less combative, drop the ridiculous accusations of bigotry, and also stop arguing with locals who have lived here for 35+ years about geography and commute.

That doesn't mean you will, but you should take it under consideration.

I lived down there in excess of 30 years, so rather than challenging my knowledge of the region, why don't you contest my individual points if you don't agree with them. And, yes, one is a bigot if they assume those who live near public transportation don't speak English. I know my 'hood. Apparently that poster doesn't, especially trying to toss far-reaching Doral into the argument as if that would somehow confuse me.

WaitingForThatCab

Gas up the Lombo
Mar 11, 2017
It's generally impossible to contest emotionally charged opinions with facts. When you describe the city that's immediately west of Virginia Gardens (i.e. MIA) as "far-reaching," then I think we're at a point where nothing is going to be accomplished in this conversation.

Instead, let's just laugh and agree that they should have put the new arena in "centrally located" Homestead.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
When Panthers occupied the pink elephant, Miami was 100% aware of them. But no one is crazy enough to hop on I-75 and make a hike to the Everglades during rush hour.

That arena is in y'all's backyard and you don't even go. Absolutely pathetic.

It's not in my backyard, it's 100 miles+each way!

Winning more than once in a blue moon, and an arena in downtown Ft. Lauderdale wouldn’t hurt either

Downtown Ft Lauderdale is too far from I-95 and southbound traffic is a nightmare fromBoca south.

I wish the arena was further north, Palm Beach County area. Would draw from Broward, Palm Beach, Martin, and St Lucie counties.

Just to make you all aware, Port St Lucie is the eighth largest city in Florida, populationof 185,000, and third largest landwise, about 120 square miles

Lotta relocated northerners up here!

Last edited:
Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Also our style of play does not lend itself to be something to cheer about while the puck is in play. If i wasn't an avid Panthers fan and tuned into watch our games of late I'd compare us to the Devils and Wild of yesteryear...get a lead and then turtle it the rest of the game.

Really? I think our game is way more exciting than the old New Jersey teams. I think we are fast and have a pretty good quick transition game. Seems like we have gotten a ton of breakaway/odd man rush opps this season.

-ghoste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->