#TheSystem and The Playoffs

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
So Vigneault seemed to figure out a way to bust #TheSystem, and what we saw all series against NYR was odd-man breakaways.

I think the Sens will be chewed up and spit out by the Pittsburgh Crosbys and especially WAS if they keep allowing those.

Can #TheSystem adapt to prevent them? If not, what can the Senators do to lock down the chances against again? Has Boucher shown a willingness to change to meet his opponent's weaknesses or will he be as stubborn as Jacques Martin?

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah, it's pretty simple really - ice your speedy forwards against Ceci-Phaneuf and you get 3-4 breakaways a game easily.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It helps when you play with a lead. Sens proved they could adjust and play from behind as well.

Obviously not the ideal scenario but they got the job done. I think Washington is susceptible the way the Rangers were in losing focus with leads. I doubt Pittsburgh will be.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's allowed perhaps a less overall skilled team get to the CF, so yeah it's been great. We have dominated in come-back wins and one goal games. We have found ways to win the games we 'should' and games that maybe we 'shouldn't' have. We have all the signs of a great team of players. I love the repeated mantra that from EK down no one cares where the points come from.

Sure we can be beat by speed and great passes here and there, but clearly the good outweighs the bad. Some folks forget that we're actually playing against other good teams that have their own methods of play. So far ours has dominated no matter how many odd man rushes we complain about.

The other team's fans have a more to complain about concerning their own style of play given that it wasn't enough to beat us.

The system we play has our guys playing defined defensive roles, has everyone playing with purpose, and has been a work in progress all year. It has turned this team's fortunes around for sure, along with the savvy moves to get us players that would excel within our playing style (Burrows, Brassard, Stalberg, Condon, Wingles).

We can't expect to play any team 4-7 times and not have them try and exploit whatever weaknesses we have, nor is it reasonable to expect us not to have any, EVERY team does. We did a great job minimizing their opportunities to exploit, and prevented second chances, and Andy made good saves on those that they did capitalize on. Meanwhile, they couldn't stop us from exploiting their weaknesses to the tune of a series win.

I love how GB has the guys focused on going into each game with a mind to impose our game on the other team, not worry about what they're doing. And if they hit us with something that exploits a chink in the armour, and they will because the other team also watches tape and wants to win, he made roster adjustments and we came out and rammed the adjustment down their throats.

When you have a system, team, coach that has Turris delivering 9 hits, has the team's best players throwing themselves in front of pucks with no regard, and the smallest forward playing like he's 10 feet tall, you know this is a team that is ready.

We may be the underdogs, but you can bet that neither the caps or pens are going to take this team lightly, sure they can score, but no lead is safe against this team, ever.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I actually don't think that either of Washington or Pittsburgh have guys like Grabner and Kreider for the speed required to run the give and go pass through the seams of the trap.
Pittsburgh might have the forwards but the D that they have who are healthy I don't think have the skill for the breakout pass required.

And Washington has a couple puck moving D, but none of their forwards are known as being particularly speedy?

So we'll see.

And Boucher, unlike most Ottawa coaches of past years does seem to be willing to tweak the roster for desired effects.

I'm cautiously optimistic that regardless of the opponent, this round three is going six games one way or another.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There are going to be some rough moments I think.

Just have to try to minimize them and Andy has to be very good.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The Rangers getting the first goal almost every game was huge for them. Look at how much we snuffed them out in game 6 when we scored first. They had nothing until the 3rd period when they were fighting for their lives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad