These playoff matchups are awesome

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Boston vs. Toronto:

Amazing. Storied franchises who are both having excellent years. Really strong teams. Kind of sucks to lose one in the first round but these two fanbases clashing is exciting to think about.

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia:

So many things. That epic series between the two a few years back, the bad blood, the history, Penguins being back to back champs, Philly on the rebound and going to be playing the underdog card.

San Jose vs. Anaheim:

Teams haven't met in the playoffs in awhile. Exciting because still a battle for California, but isn't the same LAK vs. SJS that we keep having. Thornton vs. Getzlaf (hopefully everyone is healthy).

LAK vs. VGK:

Newcomers Vegas take on a resurgent Kings. Awesome that it's a Pacific battle and that Vegas faces a team with a lot of recent playoff success for their first go of it.

The other four matchups aren't bad, but these four seem like they're going to be great hockey. Still some good underdog stories in the Devils and Avalanche, and powerhouses like Nashville and Tampa will have their hands full.

Jets vs. Wild and Washington vs. Columbus seem kind of meh, but other people may have different opinions.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
someone pointed this out in another thread as well, but i didn't realize Boston and Toronto are the only original 6 franchises to make the playoffs this year

Reactions: Rob Brown

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Not a huge fan of these matchups tbh, the 2nd round could be a lot better depending on who makes it out. Super hyped for a Pittsburgh Washington rematch.

someone pointed this out in another thread as well, but i didn't realize Boston and Toronto are the only original 6 franchises to make the playoffs this year
Yeesh hadnt even thought of it.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
whats even better is that we are the only canadian team to make the playoffs in both 2017 and 2018

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I think Winnipeg vs Minne could be a great series and one that will hopefully create a good rivalry between fans and teams.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I'm so conflicted about which series to prioritize as a (mainly neutral) hockey fan: PHI-PIT or WPG-MIN? Seriously, I've been pondering on for a while with no answer that I can like enough.

I really would love to see Winnipeg in play-offs but the matchup against a battered side as Wild honestly kinda looks dull. However, I'd be very sad to have missed their journey if they made it far into the battle, or go out in the first round. On the other hand, while PHI-PIT looks awesome on paper for obvious reasons, I don't like the Pens and my favorite teams (SJS, NSH) being taken down by them in Stanley Cup finals two times in a row gave me enough pain already. If Philadelphia can stand up to them, this promises to be an awesome series but the question is, can they? Well, actually I watched PHI two years ago against Washington when nobody expected anything from them and even in this case they did put up a good fight. I see no reason they won't do that again.

I think I'll stick with the boys from Pennsylvania and hope for a Winnipeg win in other series. Or maybe... Pff.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I enjoy the more frequent divisional match-ups that are part of the current format. It will be nice to watch SJ-Ana for the first time in a decade, and Philly-Pit have that instant dislike for each other. It will be interesting to watch divisional foes in Winnipeg-Minny and Washington-Columbus kick off their first playoff series against each other.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I think Winnipeg vs Minne could be a great series and one that will hopefully create a good rivalry between fans and teams.
I don’t see it happening but who knows. I just don’t think Minnesota has enough to make a run at Winnipeg all things considered.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
As a Caps fan I'm just happy not to be playing the Rangers or Pens (yet). Screw this playoff format.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I like the matchups too. Hoping I can watch as much of the Leafs/Bruins and Flyer/Pens series as possible.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Leafs/Bruins and Pens/Flyers are going to be great. The latter I suspect will be filled with more bad blood since its mostly the same cast. Reminds me of the Leafs/Sens series from the 2000-2004. It was pure hatred between both cities.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Going to be a fun playoffs I think. I'm a neutral fan this year so looking forward to 2 good months of action without a horse in the race.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Agreed... there are a few series I don't have too much hope for but Ana/Sj, Pitt/Philly and Toronto/Boston should be some really fun games to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad