There's not going to be a draft. No way," said a league source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The NHL entry draft, scheduled for June 25 in Ottawa, also hangs in the balance. But one observer indicated he doesn't believe there's much hope for the draft since the two sides aren't close on a deal. That means Ottawa fans will have to wait until 2008.

"There's not going to be a draft. No way," said a league source. "They should just cancel it now and get it over with because they're not going to have an agreement in place and if they do they're going to have a huge fight over who gets the No. 1 pick."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottaw...949766-sun.html

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
There has to be a draft, otherwise what happens next year, 2 years of players contesting for the draft? I don't care much any more about the billionaire owners and millionaire players, but I do feel strongly that they shouldn't mess up the junior players...

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
sbtatter said:
There has to be a draft, otherwise what happens next year, 2 years of players contesting for the draft? I don't care much any more about the billionaire owners and millionaire players, but I do feel strongly that they shouldn't mess up the junior players...
Is there an SEL draft or do you just get signed... :shakehead

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is just what this one guy thinks should happen. Does he really think it's gonna be better in '06 if there's either 2 drafts or 1 draft with 2 years of players? Still gonna be bickering over who get's Crosby then. That excerpt doesn't strike me as meaning a damn thing.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
there will be a draft, the question is when...eventually the lockout will end and then there will be a draft. it might not happen before june but it will happen eventually

Roger's Pancreas*

That last blurb about what should be done almost sounds like a player.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Tawnos said:
This is just what this one guy thinks should happen. Does he really think it's gonna be better in '06 if there's either 2 drafts or 1 draft with 2 years of players? Still gonna be bickering over who get's Crosby then. That excerpt doesn't strike me as meaning a damn thing.

Bickering how? If they play a season there's not too much to bicker about-unless you think they bicker every draft year.

Besides, I'm sure the team that picks second isn't going to cry too much about getting Kessel.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Legionnaire said:
Bickering how? If they play a season there's not too much to bicker about-unless you think they bicker every draft year.

Besides, I'm sure the team that picks second isn't going to cry too much about getting Kessel.

They wouldn't combine them that way for reasons that have been covered a million times on these boards. They might have a four day draft with two first rounds...but not one megadraft.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
everyone is saying that combining two draft years is not good. can someone fill me in on why? is it an age thing? i really can't see what the big deal is. couldn't you snake the draft to even it out? i'd like to see them play a year before a draft so that you get some honest rankings (even though LA would throw the season to get crosby ;) )

:dunno:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
It is a ridiculous comment considering whether there is a draft today, tomorrow or two years from now.

Maybe the "source" doesn't understand they still have to decide how to determine the draft order, regardless of when the draft is.
So cancel the draft....and they get an agreement and then what? No discussion about draft order? Yeah...cancelling the draft means that they are easily going to decide the draft order in two years or whenever.....

What a putz. :dunce:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Chootoi said:
everyone is saying that combining two draft years is not good. can someone fill me in on why? is it an age thing? i really can't see what the big deal is. couldn't you snake the draft to even it out? i'd like to see them play a year before a draft so that you get some honest rankings (even though LA would throw the season to get crosby ;) )

:dunno:

Well for starters, what would you do about teams that have traded picks for the 2005 draft already? The Flames for example have traded their 2nd rounder for Kiprusoff. Wouldn't be fair for them to lose their 2nd rounder in a combined draft. Nor would it be fair to not give the Sharks some 2nd rounder.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
nomorekids said:
They wouldn't combine them that way for reasons that have been covered a million times on these boards. They might have a four day draft with two first rounds...but not one megadraft.

Exactly... and the bickering comes in deciding who gets what would be the Crosby pick... or if they use the 05-06 season for that, then who gets the number 1 pick for the true 2006 draft? It's hardly fair to give the 30th place team the best shot at the number one overall pick for two straight drafts... especially when Crosby alone could probably assure them not finishing in last again.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Tawnos said:
Exactly... and the bickering comes in deciding who gets what would be the Crosby pick... or if they use the 05-06 season for that, then who gets the number 1 pick for the true 2006 draft? It's hardly fair to give the 30th place team the best shot at the number one overall pick for two straight drafts... especially when Crosby alone could probably assure them not finishing in last again.

I would think they'd have two separate lotteries, but this is all based on there not being a season next year...which we're told there will be, one way or another...and a draft would be held whenever the season was officially on.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So why do we need a CBA in place for a draft? If an agreement is not reached, the owners can simply hold the draft in whatever format they agree on, and sort out to the salary and contract details in the new CBA whenever that happens. But maybe I am missing something here, so someone tell me why having a CBA is crucial to holding a draft. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad