There are 11 NHL forwards with 1,000 Minutes Played

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
There are 11 NHL forwards with 1,000 minutes played.
Here they are, ranked by points/60

Kucherov 2.97
McDavid 2.92
---
Gaudrea 2.45
--
Couterier 2.14
PKane 2.11
Kopitar 2.08
Panarin 2.07
Radulov 1.91
--
Crosby 1.55
Zetterrberg 1.49
Nyquist 1.44

Henrik Zetterberg - Tank Commander.

Interesting to see Crosby's five on five production is so awful too.

Larkin was six minutes short of 1000. He's at 1.87, which outs him at the bottom of that second tier in good company.

Blashill, unlike a lot of modern NHL coaches, doesn't use his fourth line much.

So he's playing the f*** out of the others.
5 on 5 TOI Red Wings, and their rank in the NHL
2. Zetterberg, 1090 (more than McDavid, Kane, Crosby, Kopitar etc)
11. Nyquist 1001.77
13 Larkin 994.53
48. Mantha 932
70. Tatar 897
----------------
There are 32 teams.
In the top 70, each team would have maybe 2 or 3 guys, on average.
The Wings have 5.
Have they just been healthy? Or is Blashill overemploying top lines?
Judging by Z's numbers, I'd say we're overemploying some guys.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Yea I've pointed out before that i think it's super f***ing weird how the coach puts people on the roster who he clearly doesn't trust at all.

Booth, Witkowski, Wilson, all putting on their skates to play for 3 to 5 minutes.

At one point we had 7 defensemen and Ouellet played like 4 minutes i think. What could possibly be the point of that?

I mean i can understand the logic behind Witkowski taking one shift just to get ejected along with an opposing enforcer. But these other guys, what is the point?

If you're going to trust a guy to lace em up, you have to trust him for 10 minutes. Otherwise what the hell is the point?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not sure about everyone else, but I would have appreciated a link. It is still interesting to see.

Last time I was looking at this stuff on hockey reference it wasn't too kind to Athanasiou in terms of his analytical resume this year.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Not sure about everyone else, but I would have appreciated a link. It is still interesting to see.

Last time I was looking at this stuff on hockey reference it wasn't too kind to Athanasiou in terms of his analytical resume this year.

AA's CF is not good. it's not awful. But not good.
Where AA is always good is points/60 and goals/60

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Zetterberg gets monster minutes because he is the most consistent and reliable player for the Wings. The Wings don't have any other forward that can consistently play at a high level at both ends of the ice.

I cant fault Blash for not playing his 4th line. The Wings don't have enough talent in their top nine for Blash to have the luxury of playing a 4th line that does nothing.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Zetterberg gets monster minutes because he is the most consistent and reliable player for the Wings. The Wings don't have any other forward that can consistently play at a high level at both ends of the ice.

I cant fault Blash for not playing his 4th line. The Wings don't have enough talent in their top nine for Blash to have the luxury of playing a 4th line that does nothing.

Yup. The fact is we don't have anyone who's worthy to wrestle away Z's minutes. Sure, cut a few minutes and redistribute but it's not like it changes our outcome much. The 4th line too is a tough one. If they're actually a liability and unable to create a drop of pressure... hard to give out IT just for the sake of it.

Fans have been saying for 3 seasons to limit Z's minutes. I guess there's human elements to every undertaking that can't be avoided. The team isn't just a business, a machine. The Wings are 100% loyal to Zetterberg and Kronwall; they'll get all the time they want even if might not be the best thing. IMO, based on how far his ability has waned, Kronner should have retired last season. But the man refuses to quit so he's granted upper minutes and PP time. Are the Wings loyal to a fault? Probably.

Sometimes I'm frustrated by the way things are, other times I respect the process and professional culture Detroit has culminated. Z is a legend. These are his last seasons and we have no chance at competing anyways, let old boy have a last romp leading the team. HHOF players don't grow on trees, you have to give respect where it's due.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad