The worst contracts in Today's NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Hockeyfan02 said:
And I'm sure if 28 other cities asked him the same question, he'd respond in the same polite way. ;) Hab fans obsession with Vinny still goes strong even after the signing....

...... you wouldn't be sure if you SAW the interview. LeCavalier played Jean Béliveau in a film on Maurice Richard turned this summer in Québec. This summer, he thought about signing only for one year and become an UFA to join the Habs but after talking with a few others, he tought taking his time was an other option. I don't know if this message will be archived somewere in five years, but I hope you will remember you read it here.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:
Even the worst lawyer I have ever dealt with would outmatch the smartest GM.

Even a certain lawyer poster who hasn't been seen in awhile?

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I hate it when every thread has to be about the Leafs but I'm really liking that the Leafs haven't been mentioned here yet. :)

At the begining of the UFA period, every player was rumored to be going to the Leafs and a lot of fans were disapointed when we didn't get any of them. But it looks like it was the smart move. :)

cringer

Nov 9, 2005
NY, USA
www.hockeystation.com
gscarpenter2002 said:
The owners don't manage the budget. Have you ever been in business? The owners set the overall budget and the GM's spend within it. The owners delegate it to GM's who are almost universally unqualified.
The Yashin deal was orchestrated by Wang. Milbury was a bystander. He was left play company man and defend the contract from critics in the public eye.

But it was Wang who initiated personal communication with Yashin and it was Wang who informed Milbury via telephone that the team would be offering that contract to Yashin. That's fairly common knowledge.

Fugu

jamiebez said:
There's a thread on this:
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=188956

Long story short, Heatley and Alfredsson are signed for the next 3 years, Redden and Chara are UFAs this summer, and Havlat and Spezza are RFAs this summer. At least one of those last 4 will have to go, plus the need for a new goalie if Emery doesn't pan out.

Thanks for the link. It will be disappointing to see this team come apart if/when it happens.

cringer

Nov 9, 2005
NY, USA
www.hockeystation.com
MojoJojo said:
How about Bobby Holik at 4.25?

He must mesmerize the GM's with his unibrow to keep getting these contracts.

LOL :D

I don't think Bobby's as worthless as people give him credit for. He is a big guy that can play big. He can be a force. He plays hard at both ends. He plays with emotion.

Atlanta was a good fit for him as they needed size up the middle... little Marc Savard wasn't cutting it I suppose.

Atlanta really needs to pull it together. With the right goal tender they just might get back on track.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Kafka said:
...... you wouldn't be sure if you SAW the interview. LeCavalier played Jean Béliveau in a film on Maurice Richard turned this summer in Québec. This summer, he thought about signing only for one year and become an UFA to join the Habs but after talking with a few others, he tought taking his time was an other option. I don't know if this message will be archived somewere in five years, but I hope you will remember you read it here.

No I didn't, but I did read this in the St Pete Times today(http://www.sptimes.com/2005/11/09/Lightning/Third_period_ruins_Ek.shtml)

LOST IN TRANSLATION: According to a French reporter, the Lightning's Vinny Lecavalier told a French television station in an interview Monday that he would like to someday play for the Canadiens and that someday he would.

Lecavalier rolled his eyes when asked about the rumor and said that he told the station the same thing he always says: that it's the dream of every Montreal kid to play for the Canadiens and perhaps he will someday, but for now, he's happy to be with the Lightning.

And this was in the Tampa Tribune on Monday (http://bolts.tbo.com/lightning/MGB7YRGPRFE.html)

"I want to be in Tampa. We have won here, I love the area and I've been there since 1998. I don't want to change," he said. "I want to be in this organization with these guys."

GSC2k2*

cringer said:
The Yashin deal was orchestrated by Wang. Milbury was a bystander. He was left play company man and defend the contract from critics in the public eye.

But it was Wang who initiated personal communication with Yashin and it was Wang who informed Milbury via telephone that the team would be offering that contract to Yashin. That's fairly common knowledge.
Well, that is certainly the story that milbury fed out there ...

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I don't know if this was mentioned before in the thread, but recent articles following the Rangers brought up a nice point about a loophole in the new CBA regarding trading a bad contract.

It was suggested that the Rangers would be easier to rid themselves of the overpaid, underachieving Tom Poti by a "pre-arranged, pre-agreed" situation where Poti would be sent down, without a doubt clearing waivers, and be recalled, taken by another team who agrees to the payment of half of $2.5 or so million contract.

It would make sense that this would be supply an easier route of eliminating those bad contracts from a team's cap. This is of course assuming the player is addition by subtraction...but I suppose the secret is out on Poti's phenominally bad play. :eek:

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
gscarpenter2002 said:
The owners don't manage the budget. Have you ever been in business? The owners set the overall budget and the GM's spend within it. The owners delegate it to GM's who are almost universally unqualified.

I am in business, yes. And while the owner does set an overall budget, they also can play a pivotal role in contract negotiations, especially with big name players like Yashin. In this case, due to Yashin being a free agent after the trade, the Isles had to negotiate a new contract. I understand that both sides ran through a bunch of numbers and terms, which Milbury relayed to Wang. It was then that Wang told Milbury to offer Yashin the 10 year deal, which Milbury did. It's not as if Wang set payroll at like, $40 million, and Milbury himself, had the "brilliant" idea to offer Yashin 10 years and went ahead with it. Wang was solely behind it and Milbury was basically the middle man.

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
Crease29 said:
I don't know if this was mentioned before in the thread, but recent articles following the Rangers brought up a nice point about a loophole in the new CBA regarding trading a bad contract.

It was suggested that the Rangers would be easier to rid themselves of the overpaid, underachieving Tom Poti by a "pre-arranged, pre-agreed" situation where Poti would be sent down, without a doubt clearing waivers, and be recalled, taken by another team who agrees to the payment of half of $2.5 or so million contract.

It would make sense that this would be supply an easier route of eliminating those bad contracts from a team's cap. This is of course assuming the player is addition by subtraction...but I suppose the secret is out on Poti's phenominally bad play. :eek:
Even at $1.5 million Poti is an overpayment.

GSC2k2*

OpAckTool said:
I am in business, yes. And while the owner does set an overall budget, they also can play a pivotal role in contract negotiations, especially with big name players like Yashin. In this case, due to Yashin being a free agent after the trade, the Isles had to negotiate a new contract. I understand that both sides ran through a bunch of numbers and terms, which Milbury relayed to Wang. It was then that Wang told Milbury to offer Yashin the 10 year deal, which Milbury did. It's not as if Wang set payroll at like, $40 million, and Milbury himself, had the "brilliant" idea to offer Yashin 10 years and went ahead with it. Wang was solely behind it and Milbury was basically the middle man.
Says Milbury, I believe ...

Geese_Howard*

Squiddy said:
Aki Berg.. 1.1 million for someone who posseses less skill than rookie AHLers.

granted he should be making less, but he only signed a 1 year deal, and honestly, he is a decent 5th or 6th dman

cringer

Nov 9, 2005
NY, USA
www.hockeystation.com
Avalanche219 said:
Nobody has mentioned ROB BLAKE?! who the avs chose to keep at 6 mil over Forsberg?

Yeah I was surprised by that one too.

@gscarpenter2002 - as I said, I hate to pass up any chance at badmouthing Milbury... But I have read time and time again from multiple sources, (not just Milbury but other parties directly involved), about the events surrounding the courting, aquisition, and signing of Yashin. Wang was the main player.

But I still hate Milbury. :D

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Not saying Lou didn't make mistakes. However, he was smart enough to only give out 2 year contracts. A bad 2 year contract is a lot better then a 4 or 5. Which, teams like Philly and Pittsburgh handed out.

GSC2k2*

cringer said:
Yeah I was surprised by that one too.

@gscarpenter2002 - as I said, I hate to pass up any chance at badmouthing Milbury... But I have read time and time again from multiple sources, (not just Milbury but other parties directly involved), about the events surrounding the courting, aquisition, and signing of Yashin. Wang was the main player.

But I still hate Milbury. :D
Well, the only accounts I have heard have been from reporters saying what they were told. I don't think Wang has ever been interviewed about it. I suspect that for any accounts referencing "unnamed Islander sources", we can figure out who "they" are - *coughcoughmilburytryingtoblameotherscoughcough*.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Kärppä32 said:
NASH. It also set a benchmark for Lecavalier, Thornton and Kovalchuk.

Thank You ***** aka Doug MacLean.
There's been no proof that the Nash contract was a bad one, he's been on the shelf most of this season.

Those three are among the best in the league, they earned their paycheck. Iginla set their benchmark, not Nash

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
gscarpenter2002 said:

I can't agree with this. Being a lawyer certainly doesn't make you a great negociator by any stretch. As well, not being a lawyer doesn't make you a bad negociator either.

As well, it's not always the GMs that negociate contracts. For example, in Montreal, it's a lawyer that negociates the contracts for the GM.

Finally, negociating a hockey contract requires hockey knowledge, something which not all negociators have. You don't pay all 60 points players the same amount, as points can be somewhat situational.

All that said, many lawyers are great negociators and in the NHL business I'm sure they negociate a fair part of the contracts (ie: in Montreal, a lawyer negociates the contracts, not Bob Gainey).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad