The worst contracts in Today's NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Yashin, Jagr. But it's not their fault, and I think it's wrong to criticize them because as human beings they were just trying to get as much as they could on the market, and any of us would have done the same.

It's the GMs that are stupid. Like the one who signed Khabibulin.

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
Bertuzzi's 5.2 is looking pretty bad too. But yeah the St. Louis 5 year deal was a case of temporary insanity for the Tampa GM.

Large_Farva*

roshiajin said:
Yashin, Jagr. But it's not their fault, and I think it's wrong to criticize them because as human beings they were just trying to get as much as they could on the market, and any of us would have done the same.

Jagr's contract sure is looking good for the Rangers though.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Kafka said:
Martin St-Louis for 5 years. When they announce that signing, I couldn't believe it. That meant they chose St-Louis over Richards.... I don't expect them to be able to have three 5M$/year players one their roster. I was expecting him to get a contract like Koivu (1 year).

It was a 6 year deal. And no this does not mean they chose St. Louis over Richards. They will try to sign Brad Richards long-term next summer even if it means some others will have to be let go (Fedotenko, Sydor examples). I would expect Feaster to get him locked up, unless Brad Richards is set on playing in another city which there is no indication of that. Message board GMs won't want their team tying up 15+ million a year in 3 forwards, but it's the road the Lightning are going. That's the problem (if it can be called that) with having 3 elite forwards who are very close to UFA. Might cause them depth in the next few years, but they're going to keep those 3 players.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
roshiajin said:

Hahahaha, how in the HELL is Jagr's contract REMOTELY bad?

4 million a year for one of the best players in the league? I'll take that any day.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Hockeyfan02 said:
It was a 6 year deal. And no this does not mean they chose St. Louis over Richards. They will try to sign Brad Richards long-term next summer even if it means some others will have to be let go (Fedotenko, Sydor examples). I would expect Feaster to get him locked up, unless Brad Richards is set on playing in another city which there is no indication of that. Message board GMs won't want their team tying up 15+ million a year in 3 forwards, but it's the road the Lightning are going. That's the problem (if it can be called that) with having 3 elite forwards who are very close to UFA. Might cause them depth in the next few years, but they're going to keep those 3 players.

I am not questionning their will, I just don't see how they could have about have their salaries in three players. Saint-Louis will be difficult to trade if he doesn't dominate the game. Anyway, according to an interview LeCavalier gave yesterday to the french CBC, it looks like he wouldn't mind to joni the Habs after his contract.... so in four years, TB may have so salary space to play with. ;)

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Kafka said:
Anyway, according to an interview LeCavalier gave yesterday to the french CBC, it looks like he wouldn't mind to joni the Habs after his contract.... so in four years, TB may have so salary space to play with. ;)

And I'm sure if 28 other cities asked him the same question, he'd respond in the same polite way. ;) Hab fans obsession with Vinny still goes strong even after the signing....

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Machoking2003-04 said:
So what is the worst contract in today's NHL? Since the buy-outs, Contracts like John LeClairs and Derian Hatchers have been wipped away. With that being said, I nominate Keith Tkachuk's current deal with the St. Louis Blues.

Honorary mention is Vladimir Malkhov's 2 year 7.2 mill dollar deal with NJ. He's been god-awful so far this year.

The NHL's contract with NBC. Hands down.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
JR#9 said:
Yashin's cap hit(his salary is actually more than what is applied against the cap=7.8 million

actually if you average out Yashin's salary over 6 years, it will be roughly 6.8 million. He is getting paid 7.6 million this season. Still iw ould have to agree it's the worst contract out there(even if you argue he is worth 5 million he is still overpaid).

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Alot of you are nuts for blaming these contracts on the GMs. The owners are the ones managing a budget. Sure a GM can step in and give his recommendation, but, the owners are the ones making the final financial decisions for their team.

For instance, Charles Wang was the one with the idea of signing Yashin to an unprecedented 10-year, $90 million contract. It has turned out to be a disaster of a deal, but, at the time he wanted that to send a message to Long Island and to the NHL that the Isles were back and they mean business. However, it turned out to be the wrong message...and Wang now knows that.

As for DiPietro's 15-year contract offer last summer, that was an obvious negotiating ploy by Isles management to get DiPietro to back off on his salary demands and sign a contract. And it's actually quite brilliant, cuz it worked. After DiPietro's contract negotiations went sour before training camp, the Isles approached DiPi and his agent with the huge 15-year deal and reiterated to him that they are committed to him, and that he would serve as their franchise goalie. However, the team also knew that there's no chance in the world this deal would work and the insurance coverage wouldn't feasibly work. But DiPietro took the bait, and was openly flattered by management's determination in keeping him an Islander for his career. A few days later, DiPietro signed a contract for much less than he was demanding. For obvious reasons, the Isles will never admit their true intentions about that deal. Wang isn't stupid, he knows the Yashin contract has been a huge burden on his wallet and the team, there's no way he's doing the same thing to keep DiPietro here til he's 39. But in the end...no one has to know that, except Wang himself.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Cawz said:
Why do you say that? Kiprusoff took a Flames team that was almost 20 points out of the playoffs and made them SC contenders. I imagine Chicago was looking for a similar result. A hot goalie can turn around almost any team. Unfortunatly for them, its not working out as hoped.

Thats why I always shake my head at all the people who say the Oilers have to go out and get an established #1 goalie, then in the same breath talk about how bad of a signing Khabibulin is (this part isnt directed at you by the way).

Kiprusoff didnt exactly walk into the situation the Blackhawks are in though. He walked into a team that had a very good, young defense, and a smart coach who had the team buying into a good system. In our case, Kiprusoff's arrival was the last piece needed to put us over the top, and into the playoffs.

Chicago is a couple years away from where Calgary was in 03-04, which significantly blunts Khabibulin's impact.

cringer

Nov 9, 2005
NY, USA
www.hockeystation.com
OpAckTool said:
Alot of you are nuts for blaming these contracts on the GMs. The owners are the ones managing a budget. Sure a GM can step in and give his recommendation, but, the owners are the ones making the final financial decisions for their team.

For instance, Charles Wang was the one with the idea of signing Yashin to an unprecedented 10-year, $90 million contract. It has turned out to be a disaster of a deal, but, at the time he wanted that to send a message to Long Island and to the NHL that the Isles were back and they mean business. However, it turned out to be the wrong message...and Wang now knows that.

As for DiPietro's 15-year contract offer last summer, that was an obvious negotiating ploy by Isles management to get DiPietro to back off on his salary demands and sign a contract. And it's actually quite brilliant, cuz it worked. After DiPietro's contract negotiations went sour before training camp, the Isles approached DiPi and his agent with the huge 15-year deal and reiterated to him that they are committed to him, and that he would serve as their franchise goalie. However, the team also knew that there's no chance in the world this deal would work and the insurance coverage wouldn't feasibly work. But DiPietro took the bait, and was openly flattered by management's determination in keeping him an Islander for his career. A few days later, DiPietro signed a contract for much less than he was demanding. For obvious reasons, the Isles will never admit their true intentions about that deal. Wang isn't stupid, he knows the Yashin contract has been a huge burden on his wallet and the team, there's no way he's doing the same thing to keep DiPietro here til he's 39. But in the end...no one has to know that, except Wang himself.

As much as I hate to pass an opportunity to trash Milbury... I have to agree that the Yashin fiasco was not his fault. It's pretty well known that whole bright idea was mostly Wang's doing.

RE: Jagr... he is perhaps onr of the biggests bargain in the NHL right now. For those unaware. Here's a quick review. 2004... Rangers trade Anson Carter to Washington for Jaromir Jagr. Washington agrees to pay out nearly half of the 44 million remaining on the eye-popping 11 million/year contract they gave him. Jagr also agrees to defer roughly 1 million/year, in order to make the deal happen.

End result? Rangers trade Anson Carter (at 3 per) for Jaromir Jagr (at a bit over 5 per). They upgrade from Anson Carter to one of the world's premier players for a 2+ million increase on an already hefty payroll (i.e. not much money to them). Rangers win big, Caps lose big.

In 2005 Jagr has his salary rolled back and is now locked up with the Rangers at roughly 4 million per. 15 years into his NHL career at age 33, he is still one of the game's most prolific stars. The Rangers get Jagr for the same price or cheaper than these NHL forwards to name a few (2005-06 production/status) - salary...

Alexei Zhamnov (injured) - 4.1 mill
Bobby Holik (3g 3a -4) - 4.25 mill
Bill Guerin (4g 6a even) - 6.7 mill
Keith Tkachuk (0g 0a -2, injured) - 7.6 mill
Jeremey Roenick (3g 2a -1) - 4.9 mill
Sergei Federov (0g 1a even, injured) - 6 mill
Doug Weight (2g 8a -2) - 5.7 mill

Jagr already has more goals (14) than all of the above combined.

The one signing that surprised me the most in the new NHL (not pre-existing contracts) was hands down the signing of Vladimir Malakhov for 2 years at 3.5 per. That is an astounding number in this capped NHL for a career underachieving defenseman.

But what really surprised me most of all, was who gave him that deal. One of the most respected GM's in all of sports, Lou Lamiorello. And then he went on to say publically that the Devils were better on defense than last season 03-04. Nice try Lou. :clap:

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Gonchar's 25 million over 5 yeras will go down as one of the worst all time. This man has no defensive skills at all. Though a little quicker, he is not much better than a Russian version of Larry Murphy. The Pens will regret this one soon. Especially when the cap is reduced from 39 million this year to 36 next year based on current revenue projections.

Also looking pretty bad:

Roberts: 2 year 5 million 2 pts
Niewendyk 2 year 4 million, injuries are killing him this year
Zhamnov: 4 year deal for him? At what 2.5 mill (????) each. Thanks Boston, you're screwed.
NJ is in big trouble all over the board. Might have trouble making the playoffs because of some of their replacements. Malakov, McGillis, ALMO. They are making Brodeur seem very ordinary.

I also think the Hatcher, Therien, and Rathje signings will also come back to plague Philly. No way they should have signed those pylons for such huge long term deals.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
The Zhamnov contract is for three years, not four, and $4 million a year but I still think it is one of the worst contracts handed out this summer. $12 million over 3 years for a 35 year old coming off back surgery? Not a good idea.

Fugu

Kafka said:
Martin St-Louis for 5 years. When they announce that signing, I couldn't believe it. That meant they chose St-Louis over Richards.... I don't expect them to be able to have three 5M$/year players one their roster. I was expecting him to get a contract like Koivu (1 year).

Would you sign any guy in the league to a contract of >3 years? I was surprised by how many longterm contracts there were at or close to the top tier of pay. Given that there is a cap, this acts as a strong deterrent against inflation in salaries and against poaching. Honestly, who would come in 3 or 4 years from now and give St. Louis (or most other big signings) the top rate?

Fugu

Hockeyfan02 said:
Message board GMs won't want their team tying up 15+ million a year in 3 forwards, but it's the road the Lightning are going. That's the problem (if it can be called that) with having 3 elite forwards who are very close to UFA. Might cause them depth in the next few years, but they're going to keep those 3 players.

Who is familiar with Ottawa's situation? If Tampa will run into trouble keeping 3 top forwards, how do we expect Ottawa to keep their 4, plus Chara and Redden, and some promising youngsters? Hasek also may not be around when some of these contracts come up for renewal, so the Sens will be looking for a goalie as well?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Jon Prescription said:
Hahahaha, how in the HELL is Jagr's contract REMOTELY bad?

4 million a year for one of the best players in the league? I'll take that any day.

Yes, but 4 million for a hole on the Caps' roster is brutal.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Fugu said:
Who is familiar with Ottawa's situation? If Tampa will run into trouble keeping 3 top forwards, how do we expect Ottawa to keep their 4, plus Chara and Redden, and some promising youngsters? Hasek also may not be around when some of these contracts come up for renewal, so the Sens will be looking for a goalie as well?

There's a thread on this:
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=188956

Long story short, Heatley and Alfredsson are signed for the next 3 years, Redden and Chara are UFAs this summer, and Havlat and Spezza are RFAs this summer. At least one of those last 4 will have to go, plus the need for a new goalie if Emery doesn't pan out.

GSC2k2*

OpAckTool said:

The owners don't manage the budget. Have you ever been in business? The owners set the overall budget and the GM's spend within it. The owners delegate it to GM's who are almost universally unqualified.

Even the worst lawyer I have ever dealt with would outmatch the smartest GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad