The worst contracts in Today's NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Tkachunk's deal was pre-existing. I dont think I would qualify it as a "new-NHL" contract.

Khabibulin's is the worst, IMO, and it is terribly unsurprising he is strugging so much on such a bad team. A guy like him is the final piece of the puzzle, not the first.

Transported Upstater

Resolute said:
Tkachunk's deal was pre-existing. I dont think I would qualify it as a "new-NHL" contract.

Khabibulin's is the worst, IMO, and it is terribly unsurprising he is strugging so much on such a bad team. A guy like him is the final piece of the puzzle, not the first.

Khabibulin's contract does blow pretty badly.

JR#9*

The honor still goes out to Yashin who is one of I think 4 players who is allowed to make more than the max imposed on the other players because it was grandfathered in but he still has a mindboggling 5 yrs after this one which will bring him to 38yrs old where he'll still be eating up 1/4 of the Isles cap or rather 20% going to just him!!!! :handclap:

And to think Milbury only had to give up a 20 yr old superstar in Spezza who is already a better player than Mr Floater at a fraction of the cost as well as Chara for the right to bestow this ridiculous deal upon Yashin is just the most riduclous deal in the last 10 yrs at least.

Yashins deal will be an anchor that hangs around the Islander fanchises neck for the next 6 yrs like no other teams mistake! :cheers:

If the question is what are the worst deal post new CBA then my vote goes to Malakhov at 7.2 million for 2 yrs.Fat Lou really made a ridiculous signing out of desperations are Nieds bolted the team only to see Lou absolutely panic and sign Malakhov-Mcgillis to 3.6 and 2.2 million dollar multi-year deals out of total desperation and I'd love to see all the "Lou is god" posters to try and spin these deals, as well as ALMO's at this point.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
JR#9 said:
...he'll still be eating up 1/4 of the Isles cap or rather 20% going to just him!!!! :handclap:
I've been crunching numbers like mad the past few days, but am I missing something here?

JR#9*

AdmiralPred said:
I've been crunching numbers like mad the past few days, but am I missing something here?

team cap=39 million

Yashin's cap hit(his salary is actually more than what is applied against the cap=7.8 million

=======roughly 20% of the Isles payroll for this + another 5 yrs!

Does that help?

JR#9 said:
The honor still goes out to Yashin who is one of I think 4 players who is allowed to make more than the max imposed on the other players because it was grandfathered in but he still has a mindboggling 5 yrs after this one which will bring him to 38yrs old where he'll still be eating up 1/4 of the Isles cap or rather 20% going to just him!!!! :handclap:

And to think Milbury only had to give up a 20 yr old superstar in Spezza who is already a better player than Mr Floater at a fraction of the cost as well as Chara for the right to bestow this ridiculous deal upon Yashin is just the most riduclous deal in the last 10 yrs at least.

Yashins deal will be an anchor that hangs around the Islander fanchises neck for the next 6 yrs like no other teams mistake! :cheers:

If the question is what are the worst deal post new CBA then my vote goes to Malakhov at 7.2 million for 2 yrs.Fat Lou really made a ridiculous signing out of desperations are Nieds bolted the team only to see Lou absolutely panic and sign Malakhov-Mcgillis to 3.6 and 2.2 million dollar multi-year deals out of total desperation and I'd love to see all the "Lou is god" posters to try and spin these deals, as well as ALMO's at this point.

Fat Lou?? Have you seen him latley?? he's soo skinny now he looks like Mr. Burns from the Simpson.

JR#9*

Machoking2003-04 said:
Fat Lou?? Have you seen him latley?? he's soo skinny now he looks like Mr. Burns from the Simpson.

I know, I saw him at MSG and shook his hand, I just love the nickname somebody gave him when he was a pudgey little guy and have always applied it to him ever since.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Khabibulin...no question the worst.

I'd also say the contract for Zhamnov is ridiculous, not so much for the money as the length. FOUR years for a soft, injury-prone centerman with diminishing skills!?

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Tom Poti, making 3+ million a year. Couldn't give him away for free if the Rangers tried.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
JR#9 said:
AdmiralPred said:
JR#9 said:
...he'll still be eating up 1/4 of the Isles cap or rather 20% going to just him!!!!

team cap=39 million

Yashin's cap hit(his salary is actually more than what is applied against the cap=7.8 million

=======roughly 20% of the Isles payroll for this + another 5 yrs!

Does that help?

I guess it was the 1/4 of the cap or 20%, where I got confused at first. Sorry to pick.

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
I think Khabibulins is outright terrible when we talk about post CBA.

the Yashin contract hands down is the worst i can think of, and whats even more ridiculous is the fact that Milbury hasn't learned from that mistake, offering DiPietro a 15 year contract....

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Khabi and Gonchar equally.

Khabibulin is way too much, and 5 million is Pejorative Slured for an offensive defensman.

Safir*

NASH. It also set a benchmark for Lecavalier, Thornton and Kovalchuk.

Thank You ***** aka Doug MacLean.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Kärppä32 said:
NASH. It also set a benchmark for Lecavalier, Thornton and Kovalchuk.

Thank You ***** aka Doug MacLean.
They deserve what they're being paid

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Resolute said:
Why do you say that? Kiprusoff took a Flames team that was almost 20 points out of the playoffs and made them SC contenders. I imagine Chicago was looking for a similar result. A hot goalie can turn around almost any team. Unfortunatly for them, its not working out as hoped.

Thats why I always shake my head at all the people who say the Oilers have to go out and get an established #1 goalie, then in the same breath talk about how bad of a signing Khabibulin is (this part isnt directed at you by the way).

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
JR#9 said:

Good lord, how in the world does Mike Milbury still have a job???

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Martin St-Louis for 5 years. When they announce that signing, I couldn't believe it. That meant they chose St-Louis over Richards.... I don't expect them to be able to have three 5M$/year players one their roster. I was expecting him to get a contract like Koivu (1 year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->