The World Cup of Hockey??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
The biggest difference between World Cup and the Olympics is that World Cup is played under NHL rules, Olympics under IIHF rules.

Different offside and icing, no 2-line pass in IIHF etc.

World Cup (and earlier Canada Cup) is always held before the season, as Olympics are in the mid-season.

Olympics also have more teams in, Nagano and SLC had 14, with 6 qualifying (Canada, Czech Republic, Finland, Russia, Sweden and USA) to the final round automatically. Two preliminary round winners were also in.

World Cup has eight teams (Slovakia and Germany plus six mentioned above)

I hope this helps.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
and the north american referees also cheat in order to have a USA/Canada final because it generates more revenue in NA :lol

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Kronblom said:
And the playoffs in the World Cup is always staged in North America.

Don't know if I got this wrong, but I think the first team in Europe will face the last team in Europe in the quater.. it means Sweden, Finland, Czechz and Germany will battle for two semi spots, which will be played in NA. But I could be wrong, don't think any teams from the NA group will come here to play any games. I'm sure the highest ranked teams in the groups will have home ice advantage, not like it were 8 years ago when all playoff games were played in NA.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Don't know if I got this wrong, but I think the first team in Europe will face the last team in Europe in the quater.. it means Sweden, Finland, Czechz and Germany will battle for two semi spots, which will be played in NA. But I could be wrong, don't think any teams from the NA group will come here to play any games. I'm sure the highest ranked teams in the groups will have home ice advantage, not like it were 8 years ago when all playoff games were played in NA.
I meant the semifinal and the final of course. :)

But you are right, two of the quarterfinals will be played in Europe.
You´ll find every info you possibly need about the World Cup here:
http://www.old.swehockey.se/infoaf/WCoH2004info.htm

Breck Av

Jan 11, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Why wasn't there a World Cup held in 2000? It would be natural to have;

1996 World Cup - U.S.A
1998 Olympics - Czech Republic
2000 nothing, why?
2002 Olympics - Canada
2004 World Cup - ???
2006 Olympics - ???

Did the NHLPA nix any tournament in '00 and instead let the players play in the Salt Lake Olympics?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
wilka91 said:
and the north american referees also cheat in order to have a USA/Canada final because it generates more revenue in NA :lol

If you'd check your facts instead of your joke book, you'd know that there was only one Canada/USA matchup in all the Canada Cup/World Cup finals. But why ruin a good bigoted joke?

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Breck Av said:
Why wasn't there a World Cup held in 2000? It would be natural to have;

1996 World Cup - U.S.A
1998 Olympics - Czech Republic
2000 nothing, why?
2002 Olympics - Canada
2004 World Cup - ???
2006 Olympics - ???

Did the NHLPA nix any tournament in '00 and instead let the players play in the Salt Lake Olympics?
The World Cup could be more than an exhibition but everyone seems content with that and the fact its never set in stone. I find it ridiculous we went 8 years between them but not surprising. The national hockey league refuses to hold international hockey with the regard all football associations give to international football. Arrogantly believing nothing can trump a Stanley Cup or the pursuit of it, players do not get releases for internationals( Olympic Qualifying) and the league has shown no interest in a true World Cup complete with qualifying and a host nation. Hockey is not just the NHL but its hard to tell anyone over here that. No matter i still am looking forward to this version of the World Cup because i really do believe we have the 8 best nations. The line is getting blurry between the 8 to 12 countries though so who is to say who will be the 8th team in 4/ 8 years time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->